Building '13 BrightWhite JKU

Big Bad Wolf

Great looking at your fab work, well done!

A few questions:

How did you bend the sheet metal and tube on your bumper ?

Did you use a hand grinder to make all the cuts/notches ?

Do you find the auto settings feature on the Miller 211 helpful ?

Look forward to seeing what your building next!

Not sure if you saw my build thread but I NEED welding skills like this!

Cheers.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Great looking at your fab work, well done!

A few questions:

How did you bend the sheet metal and tube on your bumper ?

Did you use a hand grinder to make all the cuts/notches ?

Do you find the auto settings feature on the Miller 211 helpful ?

Look forward to seeing what your building next!

Not sure if you saw my build thread but I NEED welding skills like this!

Cheers.

I had a local steel mill bend the quarter inch plate and quarter inch thick tubing. The machines required to bend steel that thick is massive, heavy, and expensive.

Yes, I did use an angle grinder with cut off wheels to cut the steel. It is very time consuming, messy, and very dangerous. Use face shield gloves and a heavy jacket. If the cut off wheel breaks (and they will), it can cause serious injuries.

The auto settings will help in the beginning and should always give u a decent weld. On smaller gauge steel you will learn to use your settings manually quicker, as welds will blow through easier as the metal heats up.

The more you weld you will learn what works and what doesn't. Preparing the metal (grinding, cleaning foreign materials, and cleaning oils) is very important for strong clean beads.

Practice, practice, practice.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
So I ditched the Smittybilt and went for what I originally wanted. Plus I could not pass up the sale! IMG_9109.jpg

I originally installed the winch (Smittybilt) on the bumper then installed the bumper on the Jeep! So that's how I disassembled it. IMG_9113.jpg

Oh yeah, less than a year old, the end of the smittybilt synthetic rope rotted and pulled off the drum with no effort. IMG_9112.jpg

I attempted to mount the Zeon the bumper the same way and install both at once. It was a no go. And that is when I realized I had problems. IMG_9114.jpg IMG_9115.jpg

I had issues with clearance between the back of the solenoid box and the grill. I had no choice but to put 1" of spacing between the inside bumper and JK bumper flanges on the frame. After spending 22.00 dollars in grade 8 bolts, I was back in business. I also had to remove my LED light bar for now until I can make some beakers to bump it out. Here is the end results. IMG_9124.jpg IMG_9121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

I know the feeling with the Zeon and homemade bumper. Definitely a lot of work! I had to use 1/4" spacers between the bumper and frame rails and even had to trim one of my bumper mounting bolts.

Obviously it was good you replaced the Smtty! That's some BS right there about the rope!

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

WJCO

Meme King
Sweet. Looks clean. We had to mod both are vehicles a little to fit it. It's a tight winch. But sure looks good :thumb:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I know the feeling with the Zeon and homemade bumper. Definitely a lot of work! I had to use 1/4" spacers between the bumper and frame rails and even had to trim one of my bumper mounting bolts.

Obviously it was good you replaced the Smtty! That's some BS right there about the rope!

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors
Yeah I was relieved to see the winch was coming off after seeing the rope like that.

Sweet. Looks clean. We had to mod both are vehicles a little to fit it. It's a tight winch. But sure looks good :thumb:
Thank you. It is a very good looking winch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom