Building A Front Axle In Stages?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You think its needed though? I only ask because I went to Northridge in Longmont and talked with them about future plans, etc...and mentioned I would want to regear with 5.13s but he noted I had a manually and said I only need 4.88s with 37s and I was planning 5.13s since I also live in CO....

Yes I think it's needed. You have a turd for a motor any little bit helps. Auto or manual doesn't change your tire size or your motor so it doesn't really play a factor in my book. But to each their own.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You think its needed though? I only ask because I went to Northridge in Longmont and talked with them about future plans, etc...and mentioned I would want to regear with 5.13s but he noted I had a manually and said I only need 4.88s with 37s and I was planning 5.13s since I also live in CO....

i agree with overlander that even tho you have an 2009 standard i would do 5.13's w/ 37's.

hbkid22

The drive to northridge is doable, probably about 70 miles. That's good to know. Heard nothing but good things about them. And yes, I have an auto.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just looked it up again and its around $4950 but would come with gears, synergy ball joints and RCV shafts and a new yoke.....I am sure you can call them and talk to them about the shafts and see if they will allow you to do chromoly to save some money.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/drivet...trac-prorock-44-unlimited-special-package#tab

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

hbkid22

Yes I think it's needed. You have a turd for a motor any little bit helps. Auto or manual doesn't change your tire size or your motor so it doesn't really play a factor in my book. But to each their own.

That is fine with me. I was planning on 5.13s but was going to go with Northridge's advice. Either way we will see what happens when I get there. And yes 35s with 3.21 gears right now is pretty bad :) ......

Sorry to get off topic here a bit.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
They make the most money on RCV's and synergy ball joints that why it's a package. Advice from vendors is skewed by the money they make. Call Dynatrac if you want real answers. I know Rob and/or Jim won't give you bullshit advice.

JK LYF

Have you put on the c-gussets? You could get away with a few trail runs on 37s if you welded on the c-gussets...You are right it wont last long but you could do a couple runs.

No, I haven't. You think that would be a good investment to get me by the next several months! If so, I can do that!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No, I haven't. You think that would be a good investment to get me by the next several months! If so, I can do that!

Yup! Do it asap! You can bend you C's just from hitting a curb at the mall

hbkid22

For the price, yes it is a good investment. If you can weld yourself then its even cheaper but still would invest in that.

JK LYF

That is fine with me. I was planning on 5.13s but was going to go with Northridge's advice. Either way we will see what happens when I get there. And yes 35s with 3.21 gears right now is pretty bad :) ......

Sorry to get off topic here a bit.

Ya, my 3.73 are fine driving around town but I could def feel the loss in power.

JK LYF

For the price, yes it is a good investment. If you can weld yourself then its even cheaper but still would invest in that.

Def looking into that then, maybe it can hold me over for some light trailing until I get the new axle.

JK LYF

They make the most money on RCV's and synergy ball joints that why it's a package. Advice from vendors is skewed by the money they make. Call Dynatrac if you want real answers. I know Rob and/or Jim won't give you bullshit advice.

That's why I was wondering if it would be less expensive to buy the axle in stages. But, I will def be calling Dynatrac. Just learning about axles (because now I need one)! So all the advice definitely helps.

If you know you are getting a PR44 in a timely manner, I am not even sure I would worry about the c-gussets. I've seen too many overzealous welders burn up the ball joints. Then you're in it for more money and drifting farther from the goal. I agree the Cs can bend easily, but they may already be bent. The only way to know for sure is to have an alignment that costs another $70ish... further away yet

Last edited:

hbkid22

Being that you have 37s a new axle is needed quicker than me but you can get your power back up with a superchips or something similar especially with an auto as it will help reset your shift points for the time being but since this isnt your daily driver I would save the $400 and put it towards the axle......Mine is my daily driver so I will be getting a superchips next purchase to help restore my power until I can upgrade....

JK LYF

If you know you are getting a PR44 in a timely manner, I am not even sure I would worry about the c-gussets. I've seen too many overzealous welders burn up the ball joints. Then you're in it for more money and drifting farther from the goal. I agree the Cs can bend easily, but they may already be bent. The only way to know for sure is to have an alignment that costs another $70ish... further away yet

Good point! Your right, on drifting further away from the goal. I think I'll just lock it down for the next few months and put every penny towards the axle.

JK LYF

Being that you have 37s a new axle is needed quicker than me but you can get your power back up with a superchips or something similar especially with an auto as it will help reset your shift points for the time being but since this isnt your daily driver I would save the $400 and put it towards the axle......Mine is my daily driver so I will be getting a superchips next purchase to help restore my power until I can upgrade....

I have the Flashcal. It did change my shifting points. It's manageable around town and highway, although on highway I can definitely feel the slug!

Top Bottom