Bump steer?

09blackruby

No. This doesn't help. Lol. So what you're saying is any vehicle that doesnt pull itself has a problem? I guess the dozen vehicles I've previously owned that never did this needed some work...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've had 3 different solid axle jeeps all different models both lifted and stock. Not one of them has steered as nice as the half dozen Hondas I've owned. A solid axle vehicle is a different breed compared to an ifs front end. My current jkur has a small lift and it drives nice but you still need to drive it.. Lifts and bigger tires will enhance the flighty feeling but it should not feel so flighty that you feel out of control. If that's the case than something is outa wack. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

cmireles

I was referring to ruts running along the road. The ones you find coming up to some intersections.

Okay yeah that's not bump steer. This happens even In my stock jk and it's because of the road, not the jeep. Yes a drag link flip with help fix the geometry but as far as the ruts go, that shouldn't be your jeeps fault.

Fragsrus

I've had 3 different solid axle jeeps all different models both lifted and stock. Not one of them has steered as nice as the half dozen Hondas I've owned. A solid axle vehicle is a different breed compared to an ifs front end. My current jkur has a small lift and it drives nice but you still need to drive it.. Lifts and bigger tires will enhance the flighty feeling but it should not feel so flighty that you feel out of control. If that's the case than something is outa wack. Just my thoughts.

Well, that at least offers some possible explanation. Thank you. I am willing to accept that it's somewhat just the way the Jeep drives, but it seems like it shouldn't be as bad as it is. If I wasn't holding on to the steering wheel I'm pretty sure it would put me into the next lane. I think I will wait to see how it acts after I get the new lift installed. Maybe with the coils being as bad as they are it is causing what should be minor to be exaggerated. Thanks for everyone's input.

36Fan

Whats the toe at? Caster at? What steering stabilizer is it, stock? Having incorrect toe,usually too much toe out,can cause the tire to grab the imperfections in the road more easily. Also as mentioned larger tires,mainly aggressive tread patterns can give you the symptoms your explaining. Loose ball joints,tie rod ends,drag link ends can also do this. You do not have bump steer.

Fragsrus

Whats the toe at? Caster at? What steering stabilizer is it, stock? Having incorrect toe,usually too much toe out,can cause the tire to grab the imperfections in the road more easily. Also as mentioned larger tires,mainly aggressive tread patterns can give you the symptoms your explaining. Loose ball joints,tie rod ends,drag link ends can also do this. You do not have bump steer.

Everything is stock with the exception of added coil spacers. Although, even with the spacers it's only at about .5" over stock height due to over compressed coils. That will change here soon though. I have a 3" kit ready to put on as soon as I get some nice weather over a weekend.

36Fan

Everything is stock with the exception of added coil spacers. Although, even with the spacers it's only at about .5" over stock height due to over compressed coils. That will change here soon though. I have a 3" kit ready to put on as soon as I get some nice weather over a weekend.

I would check the toe first.

Top Bottom