Bumper mount tire carrier? LoD Linked, or Non-Linked?

RCVRY

If those are mfg in Indiana they have to be coming from Rods Indiana in Hamilton. The only other place in the area would be J.H.Botts in Joliet.
What’s the min. yield on the bar stock? The nut should always fail before the rod if they’re properly spec’d. Should be 55k min yield.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SSRuger

LōD Offroad;1004175 said:
People bending that catch was actually one of the reasons that we didn't include a stop or catch on the very new Destroyer carrier. Sometimes there would be a scenario where an original user would "hold" the carrier in place using that catch, and a user unfamiliar with the system (for whatever reason) tries to close it while the catch is engaged, and bends either the pin or the housing. On the new design we felt it made more sense to omit that feature, in order to prevent people potentially ruining their tire carrier while out in the field. We believe if the new carrier swings open and slightly dents the body corner because someone didn't pay attention, then it's only cosmetic damage (hopefully), whereas if you try to force the carrier shut with a catch pin engaged, you may cause more structural damage that could potentially affect the function. It's a fine line between convenience and safety, and this is still a topic of debate here. Personally I believe in more convenience for the customer (even if that means risking providing a catch that THEY are responsible for, because it adds to the function/user experience) but unfortunately management does not always share the same opinion as the product designers :crazyeyes: ;)

-LoD Product Design
I was wondering why there wasn't some sort of stop for the destroyer. I was thinking about just drilling a hole and mounting a stoper. Kinda like the daystar tire isolator just to stop it from swinging into my quarter panel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

RCVRY

Something else I noticed, ASTM Spec calls for bend radius 2x the diameter. Eyeballing that appears to be 1/2" roll formed. Long and short, the bend radius is too small and will be the next week point (the steel stretches too much).

RCVRY

You could reduce the shear and increase the radius if the base was wider. I would guess about 1” wider. Also, a shorter thread would make them easier to mfg.

Moochie

I also had a u-bolt failure causing my carrier to swing around and smash my tail light. I contacted LOD and had to purchase a complete latch since the u-bolt was not sold separately. My new one is supposedly from Europe. If a newer, stronger version is found I would love to get my hands on it. [emoji851]

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I have the linked destroyer bumper I wish now I would of went with the non-linked. Every time I’ve hit the bumper it throws the carrier off and yes I have it mounted correctly. PITA

Top Bottom