Buying 37"s in next 24 hours - be my voice of reason Falken vs Cooper

randomhero199

Ordering my wheel and tire set for jku build tonight, or tomorrow am... Be my voice of reason! I'm going to run 37x12.5x17, jeep will predominately see pavement, but will also see some serious trails in Colorado, and in Texas and Oklahoma at OHV parks. I typically do lifetime mount/balance, as I live 2 miles from Discount tire. Falken Wildpeak I've ran before, they wore good, lasted and are the least expensive option I've looked at. I was just about to order and came across the Cooper ST Maxx AT tire, which seems to have quite a few positive reviews. I can saw the Cooper AT3 tire has been my favorite of any all terrain tire I've ever run (run yoko geolander, nitto, currently running Toyo AT2 on my Carli Ram 2500). The coopers are about $150 more for set of 5, so really it's not much of a difference price wise, I'm just looking for something that's got good road manners, isn't going to howl like a MT, and last a decent ways (being realistic).

What say you wayalifers?

Napalm

I agree with Thardy with the Nittos or possibly BFG KO2s in a 37. Best of luck with your purchase!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I would also recommend the BFG KO2s. I've ran several sets of the originals and it fit pretty much what your looking for. On a 4x4 that sees a lot of road but still needs something slightly aggressive they worked great on my rigs. I'd definitely run a set of the new version.

I've heard good things about the ExoGrapplers also like thardy, but have no experience.

CarolinaJK

Buying 37"s in next 24 hours - be my voice of reason Falken vs Cooper

Have you looked at the Nitto ExoGrapplers? I've heard great things about them.
x2 on this! I've only heard good things about them, but no personal experience. As well as the Toyo RT's.

DMF

I had Falkens on a truck and I didn't like them at all. After 20k miles on the tires the tread look like smooth strips.

jkwebbie

I've heard goo things from the Nittos. No experience with them though. And a few of my friends run the BFG ATs and love them. They hold up pretty good to the southern clay mud down here, especially for an AT. Hope that helps bud!

randomhero199

Hmm, I think that might be the first Ive heard someone say they didn't like a 37 in a 13.50. Any particular reason why?

Could be the current alignment, suspension setup but my jk has 13.5 wide tire on it now, and it tracks horribly on our roads here in OKC. For my purposes, I'd prefer a 12.5, I don't think the added weight, and foot print is worth it when it'll be mainly on pavement. If it was a strict off-road build sure, 13.5's it is.

thardy

Banned
Could be the current alignment, suspension setup but my jk has 13.5 wide tire on it now, and it tracks horribly on our roads here in OKC. For my purposes, I'd prefer a 12.5, I don't think the added weight, and foot print is worth it when it'll be mainly on pavement. If it was a strict off-road build sure, 13.5's it is.

Gotcha. What suspension setup are you running?

jkwebbie

Hmm I didn't know that the Exos didn't come in a 12.50. Maybe the tires on you JK are out of alignment or something? What tires are you running on them by chance?

randomhero199

Gotcha. What suspension setup are you running?

3" synergy, HD synergy steering setup - it's all on it's way, currently it's got a jobrone 2 or 3" spring lift that rides like a wagon - I just bought it, setup for mall crawling on 20's - that will all change next week :doh:

our roads are pretty bad here, especially in the outskirts of the city where I live. I think the 13.5 wide tire would be more of a hindrance on road than a benefit off road, if that makes sense.

randomhero199

Hmm I didn't know that the Exos didn't come in a 12.50. Maybe the tires on you JK are out of alignment or something? What tires are you running on them by chance?

nitto terra grapplers - they seem to do ok, they're louder than the Toyo's on my ram, and ride is more harsh, but their also a 20" tire, which I'm sure is main reason for the added stiffness

thardy

Banned
3" synergy, HD synergy steering setup - it's all on it's way, currently it's got a jobrone 2 or 3" spring lift that rides like a wagon - I just bought it, setup for mall crawling on 20's - that will all change next week :doh:

our roads are pretty bad here, especially in the outskirts of the city where I live. I think the 13.5 wide tire would be more of a hindrance on road than a benefit off road, if that makes sense.

My guess is that it has a lot to do with your current setup. If you're dead set on not going 13.50, I've heard good things with the Falkens, haven't heard much on the Cooper ATs. I know Eddie likes the Coopers that he just put on Renny.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I've had tons of good experience with coopers, but street tires. I'd buy a set for my jeep if I didn't have my heart set on the exo grapplers

jkwebbie

nitto terra grapplers - they seem to do ok, they're louder than the Toyo's on my ram, and ride is more harsh, but their also a 20" tire, which I'm sure is main reason for the added stiffness

I'm with Trevor, the ride probably sucks because of how the suspension and how big your wheels are. I know the bigger the wheels, the harder the ride is

Benito

Caught the Bug
I know you said you wanted an A/T tire but I have to say the Nitto Trail Grapplers are top notch and are wearing well, they have some road noise but it is very tolerable, I think the wind noise is worse than the tire noise. I don't know what the price difference is on the trail grapplers and the tires you are considering but I don't think you could go wrong with the trail grapplers and I think a few people on here would agree

Top Bottom