Calico run - october 17, 2015

JK LYF

***UPDATE FOR THOSE WANTING TO CARAVAN***

So far, the best place I can come up with, for those coming from south of Calico, is the Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. We can meet there at 6:30 am and caravan to Calico.

The address is:

4485 Mills Cir.
Ontario, Ca. 91764

From there we plan on driving to a gas station off of Lenwood Road, Barstow (arrival at approximately 8:00am), where we can top off our tanks, pick up snacks, etc. From there we will drive to trail head, and it's not a far drive at all, maybe 20 minutes, putting us there at approximately 8:30am.

If anyone would like to join us further north, I would suggest monitoring the CB and jump in as we pass by......

For those interested in caravanning, let me know and I will update thread. That was we can have an idea of how many rigs we will be waiting on.

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The run has been capped to those listed below

JK LYF (caravan)

Iron Horse (caravan)

Torqt JK (caravan)

Al Bundy

Crystaliner (caravan)

Coriej

Peak (caravan)

KnightKrawler (caravan)

vjusmc (caravan)

DaBank

HazMat JK (+1)

snapfish

This totals 13 rigs. If anyone listed above can not make it, please advise so adjustments can be made and additional rigs added if needed.

We will break up the 13 rigs into several groups (if needed). Each group will be led by an experienced driver. I know we have several experienced drivers going so we will organize that during the drivers meeting.

Now, insight for the inexperienced and/or stock jeeps who have not ran Calico.

I ran the trail yesterday with a friend, Iron Horse (forum member). It appeared as though some of the climbs and drop-offs were a bit more rough, rutted, and steeper in some places. The trail has slightly changed over the last 3 years in some places (I believe the lack of rain has been a factor, but I'd be guessing).

Because of this, I want to ensure a couple of things are made known to the inexperienced and/or stock jeeps that have not ran Calico.

The tight canyons and drop-offs may produce body damage. Some of the ruts, regardless of the lines taken, will take your rig very close to the canyon wall.

No lift and 33s can make it. But, more than likely, will need to get winched out of some areas and in doing so, scrape the hell out of your undercarriage! You will also significantly scrape your undercarriage on some of the drop-offs and rocks.

Stock plastic rear bumpers may get thrashed on these drop offs. You can remove the stock bumper if you do not want to risk damage.

You will hit the bottom sides of your tub on some of the drop offs/rocks if you do not have rock sliders/rock rails to protect (I personally wouldn't do the trail without them). I want to reiterate the importance of having a good set on your rig (especially for those running 33s). But that is your call.

My intention is not to freak anyone out that hasn't been to Calico. On the other hand, I don't want to give the impression that this is a newbie run.

Bottom line, I just feel it's important for some of the newer, less experienced drivers with stock rigs to understand what could happen. I know how important our rigs are to us!

Lastly, in the next few days I will coordinate something for those interested in caravanning.

Meeting Location: Calico Rd. / Doran Scenic Dr. Coordinates: N34 56.383 W116 51.528 (Odessa Canyon - Doran/Odessa Loop)

Time: 8:30am

CB Channel: 16

Between 8:30 and 9:00 - Air down, disconnect, driver meeting & line up.

Requirements:

Front and rear recovery (tow) points

Recommended

Strongly recommended. Rock sliders (rails)
Strongly recommended. Winch
Strongly recommended. Recovery strap
CB
Fire Extinguisher
First Aid Kit

For those that are interested in seeing what the trail looks like, I have submitted a video from Eddie & Project JK......Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OFUXXDq1dvM

Last edited:

Peak

Do you know what part of the trail you plan on running? And what would you consider being the requirements?

JK LYF

Do you know what part of the trail you plan on running? And what would you consider being the requirements?

Plan on meeting right of the 15 freeway at about 8am. There's a restaurant there that people usually meet up. I'll get the name and post it. As far as requirements, I think there are bypasses for the tougher obstacles and we can always winch!

Al Bundy

That would be great! I'll put u down as a maybe!

I am planning a Calico run for Saturday, October 17. There is plenty of time to get your rig ready and clear your schedule! The weather should be cool enough to enjoy the trails...It will be a great run to bring the wife and kids as there are some great sight seeing spots, along with some fun trails. We still have time to dial in a time and location to meet, but plan on meeting off of Ghost Town Road (15 freeway) at around 8am........We can take our time, make sure everyone gets through, and eat lunch on the trail.....

Updates as we get closer....If interested, let me know and I will add your name.....

Rich

Going

JK LYF
Joe
Shawn
mo0s3 (+3 rigs)

Maybe

Peak
BitBucket
jesse3638

Is this trail ok for a stock sport? Jk I have a winch installed . Would love to go

jjlong

Sounds great! Please count me in +2.
Nevermind, just realized I'll be out of town. Bummer! Have fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom