California DMV Requirements for fender flares

mastrcruse

Poison Spyder now has their flares in an extra wide version which is, I believe, 2" wider than stock to help out with getting around these issue states. havent heard of anyone running them but thought I'd mention it.

JAGS

Hooked
Poison Spyder now has their flares in an extra wide version which is, I believe, 2" wider than stock to help out with getting around these issue states. havent heard of anyone running them but thought I'd mention it.

Their narrow version have been know to get smacked on the trail and cause body damage. Can't imagine having a wider version. 😁

I'll stick to throwing on mud flaps.

mastrcruse

Their narrow version have been know to get smacked on the trail and cause body damage. Can't imagine having a wider version. 

I'll stick to throwing on mud flaps.

Got ya. Haven't had any experience with either version but when I was looking into them I noticed a wide version.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
You're screwed in CA but totally fine in NV. Ask me how I know.

For most cops, mud flaps will help keep you out of trouble. Most of the trouble you will have are with the white CHP cars as they are code enforcement guys. By the letter, they can hit you for not having fenders covering your tires regardless if you have mud flaps. Again, ask me how I know.

How do you know?

xflstl

Each state may have it's own rules on this, however the way it should work is as follows.

The state your rig is licensed and registered in, you must comply with those state regulations. You should only be held to those regulations regardless what state you are driving threw.

I know my GF got a ticket in Minnesota for having her windows tinted to dark, she appeared in court and got the ticket dropped as her car was legal in Texas where she was registered.

I also just talked to a buddy from my Jeep Club who is a Cop in Iowa. According to him he can only ticket Iowa registered Vehicles for something violating Iowa Lift laws. The go around on this would be if something was considered a serious safety hazard, then it could be ticketed as not fit to be on the road.

All this being said, you can certainly be issued a ticket for violating a regulation out of state. However I would certainly try to get it dismissed.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Each state may have it's own rules on this, however the way it should work is as follows.

The state your rig is licensed and registered in, you must comply with those state regulations. You should only be held to those regulations regardless what state you are driving threw.

I know my GF got a ticket in Minnesota for having her windows tinted to dark, she appeared in court and got the ticket dropped as her car was legal in Texas where she was registered.

I also just talked to a buddy from my Jeep Club who is a Cop in Iowa. According to him he can only ticket Iowa registered Vehicles for something violating Iowa Lift laws. The go around on this would be if something was considered a serious safety hazard, then it could be ticketed as not fit to be on the road.

All this being said, you can certainly be issued a ticket for violating a regulation out of state. However I would certainly try to get it dismissed.

^ This. When I spent some time in California I had a sedan that had Texas registration, plates, DL and insurance. I was pulled over by local cops who saw the car around and was questioned on the tint and why I didn't register the vehicle in California but when I explained the situation and my documents showed Texas residency they never issued a ticket.

SWRUBI

I miss the 'old' days and fix it tickets that were just that. Had a neighbor cop that used to sign off fix-it's all the time. More often than not, he would shake his head saying "Man, they ticketed you for that?".

Top Bottom