Can’t break my caliper bolts loose

fiend

Caught the Bug
Throw some heat on there using a propane torch. The coefficient of expansion of aluminum is greater than that of steel, meaning the hole in the aluminum knuckle will expand faster than the steel bolt in the hole, helping to loosen the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Seems odd to me. I have had these bolts off. Using Shallow 1/2" drive socket with a descent wratchet...min 12" long, you could get a mini sledge and wack the wratchet until they break free.
From your other posts you seem green to wrenching. No offense. I don't think you using a torch is a good idea. If you cannot break those bolts loose with breaker bar or hammer wack, take it to the dealer before you damage something.

CalSgt

Hooked
Seems odd to me. I have had these bolts off. Using Shallow 1/2" drive socket with a descent wratchet...min 12" long, you could get a mini sledge and wack the wratchet until they break free.
From your other posts you seem green to wrenching. No offense. I don't think you using a torch is a good idea. If you cannot break those bolts loose with breaker bar or hammer wack, take it to the dealer before you damage something.

Thread locker is specifically designed to breakdown at 500 degrees F, its pretty common to use heat. Its definitely better than pulling the threads out.... I haven't had the calipers off of my JL yet but when I did my wife's old Yukon I had to really lean my fat ass on a breaker bar to get them loose.

Also, I'd be willing to hit a box end wrench or breaker bar with a dead blow hammer but would never hit a ratchet, that sounds like a disaster.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Thread locker is specifically designed to breakdown at 500 degrees F, its pretty common to use heat. Its definitely better than pulling the threads out.... I haven't had the calipers off of my JL yet but when I did my wife's old Yukon I had to really lean my fat ass on a breaker bar to get them loose.

Also, I'd be willing to hit a box end wrench or breaker bar with a dead blow hammer but would never hit a ratchet, that sounds like a disaster.

I don't know what kind of ratchets you use, but My Snap on's that I have had for 30 years have taken plenty of dead blow hits to break loose a bolt and are still fine. I have not needed any heat to loosen any bolts on my JL.
And someone new to wrenching, using a torch on your caliper mount is not something I would recommend. I'm sure you could do it just fine, same as myself. But...seems the fellow is green.

^ this.
A propane torch isn’t going to ruin anything, it’s not an oxy/acetylene, it’s a single burner of a grill. Agreed you never hammer a ratchet unless you want to replace it. The guy took a (reputable) 1/2” impact to it without moving it a hair he’s going to have to heat it.

And before someone says “you should get map gas it’s sooo much better” map gas doesn’t exist anymore, there’s “map pro” which burns a couple hundred degrees more than propane and costs triple per tank.

Torch Kit, Series KC3500, Propane https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763JXYJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YTfKFbR43N73N

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I don't know what kind of ratchets you use, but My Snap on's that I have had for 30 years have taken plenty of dead blow hits to break loose a bolt and are still fine. I have not needed any heat to loosen any bolts on my JL.
And someone new to wrenching, using a torch on your caliper mount is not something I would recommend. I'm sure you could do it just fine, same as myself. But...seems the fellow is green.

Not a great idea to hit your “wratchet” with a BFH. Glad to hear that your Snap On is holding up but, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Top Bottom