Can I bypass factory locker and sway bar with switch pros?

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I’m confused here then. There are two plugs coming out of the pumpkin with 2 wires each. One is for the indicator, and the top is for the actuator. So the actuator doesn’t have a ground? What’s the second wire out of that plug then?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

As far as I know the actuator is just a 12v coil. So it uses a ground. Mine is just wired up to the ARB wiring harness that came with my compressor.

MericaMade

Yes, that’s what I did with mine since it’s not a rubicon so no factory locker wiring.

Here’s one on eBay

Part # p5155359

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/143054455090
To make sure I understand this right. I can purchase two of these run the switch Pros positive 12 volt switch to the red wire and the ground to the black wire with this harness then unplug the factory harness zip it up and plug the new harness into it same place. Then this would allow me to bypass the factory system and engaged the lockers as soon as I click the button?

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
To make sure I understand this right. I can purchase two of these run the switch Pros positive 12 volt switch to the red wire and the ground to the black wire with this harness then unplug the factory harness zip it up and plug the new harness into it same place. Then this would allow me to bypass the factory system and engaged the lockers as soon as I click the button?

Yes. It still takes a second like the factory but yes.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

I would not worry about that. Locking the rear would not be the end of the world. It would understeer on corners, and unless on slick roads it is more of an inconvenience than a hazard.

Locking the front would be hazardous, but not likely if set up right.

I for one would like to be able to use my lockers at my choosing, with the only safety being the sometimes adequate one between my ears.

I like to wheel in 2 wheel drive, and I like to lock the rear and drift on snow, ice, gravel, etc.

You guys know me, I do shit different, and sometimes it works, sometimes it don't, but I'm usually entertaining.

The answer to the concern, for me, is to wire it similar to an ARB air locker. The standard way to wire it is so the rear can lock anytime, and the front is in series with the rear and can only lock after the rear is locked.

Hitting one switch by mistake is possible, but hitting two is not likely
So rereading what you posted would this all be done by relays? So basically one switch powers the relay to power the rear Locker then that relay powers another relay to enable the front Locker?

nbunga

Caught the Bug
So rereading what you posted would this all be done by relays? So basically one switch powers the relay to power the rear Locker then that relay powers another relay to enable the front Locker?

You could also probably find a relay with two normally open contacts, then just power your rear locker from one set of contacts then feed your front locker switch with the other set. Thus eliminating a relay.

MericaMade

Adam is right, the wiring on the factory disco is a bitch. It take two switches and it’s really not fun to deal with at all. If you do it wrong you can burn up the motor easily.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thank you. No limits works fine then.
You could also probably find a relay with two normally open contacts, then just power your rear locker from one set of contacts then feed your front locker switch with the other set. Thus eliminating a relay.
Ok thanks for the explanation.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Got my harnesses today. Wish I could find just the plug somewhere so I didn’t need to buy the whole thing.
IMG_8572.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Oh snaps..... I wasn't able to find just the plug connector either. So you are wiring straight to the axle and not worried about flipping the switch on accident?

They’ve been straight to the axle for four hours and I’ve never come close to hitting the switch. I only bought these cause I broke the connector on the front axle. I needed one but bought a spare.

Top Bottom