Can P0430 be caused by cracked exhaust manifold?

rinkishjk

I hope to do that this evening. I might need to pick up a stethoscope or just use a piece of wood to find the source of the noise.

U can just use a long handled screw driver as a stethoscope. Works just fine. Wood won't work as it doesn't resonate like metal.

plext0r

The P0430 code showed up again. Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). I hope the cracked manifold didn't burn up the catalytic converter, but when I looked down in the pre-cat, it was a medium brown color, not the white I saw in the pics from another forum.

Last edited:
That could also be just a sensor. I had issues with my diesel Ram. If it is your Cat you like just buy a programmer and delete it.

plext0r

That could also be just a sensor. I had issues with my diesel Ram. If it is your Cat you like just buy a programmer and delete it.

I was following this guide on diagnosing the P0430 code but I'm not sure what I'm doing. I have Torque (paid app) on my Android phone with the ELM237 OBD reader and I saw lots of O2 sensor information, but I'm not sure how to read it to determine if the sensors are good and my cat is toast or if I should replace the sensors. I might need to take the Jeep to a shop for a proper diagnosis.

Bank 2 should be your Rear Sensor. If you can see individual sensor data watch that one. It should be steady. All kinds of things can cause it to throw that code. Bad sensor, bad Cat, EGR, Injectors etc can all effect it. It all depends on what you want to do. If NC doesn't have emissions checks you could always just delete it all.

plext0r

Bank 2 should be your Rear Sensor. If you can see individual sensor data watch that one. It should be steady. All kinds of things can cause it to throw that code. Bad sensor, bad Cat, EGR, Injectors etc can all effect it. It all depends on what you want to do. If NC doesn't have emissions checks you could always just delete it all.

I don't want to "delete" anything from the computer to get the CEL off and pass inspection, so I'm going to follow the troubleshooting guide I posted earlier and see if I can find something. My local exhaust shop said testing for an exhaust leak was free, but attaching the computer to read live data on O2 sensors, etc. would cost me $85. This second test would show if the cat needed to be replaced. I used Torque Android app to read the O2 sensors already but I just need to dig into it further and understand what exactly I'm seeing. I also plan to try the SeaFoam in the throttle body test (brake booster line) to see if I can find my own leaks.

Yeah don't delete if you have to pass inspections. We don't have inspections here in Florida so deleting the power robbers is an option. You could see if one of the shop guys will look at your data to try and save the $85

Top Bottom