Can someone explain Metal Cloak 6 pack shocks to me?

chitown35

LOSER
Haven't been around in awhile while sorting out a new addition to the family, so I'm late to this party, but I figured I'd chime in late since no one that actually owns these has yet.

So, everyone knows you have to recharge the nitrogen every 6 months, but I don't see what the big deal is with that if you're used to doing work on your Jeep anyway. Honestly I think failing to do that is what causes a number of the problems you see people having with them. But personally I don't see a problem with these shocks, for what they are. The question is what they aren't.

To me, the big downside is that you can't custom valve them, and you are stuck with the MC coils and spring rates. So it's a specific segment of the market these are good for.

You want lots of travel? Check.

You want to easily bolt in? Check. Especially when compared with the 14-16" coilovers.

You want to run a light rig with their spring rates? You want to ride fast over whoops on a lower spring rate to keep up with the coilovers while maintaining a heavier second rate also? Maybe not so good. Again related to being stuck with their springs.

You want to customize shock valving? Another limitation.

You've gotta add up what you want to do and count your costs, as with everything.

J

JKDream

Haven't been around in awhile while sorting out a new addition to the family, so I'm late to this party, but I figured I'd chime in late since no one that actually owns these has yet.

So, everyone knows you have to recharge the nitrogen every 6 months, but I don't see what the big deal is with that if you're used to doing work on your Jeep anyway. Honestly I think failing to do that is what causes a number of the problems you see people having with them. But personally I don't see a problem with these shocks, for what they are. The question is what they aren't.

To me, the big downside is that you can't custom valve them, and you are stuck with the MC coils and spring rates. So it's a specific segment of the market these are good for.

You want lots of travel? Check.

You want to easily bolt in? Check. Especially when compared with the 14-16" coilovers.

You want to run a light rig with their spring rates? You want to ride fast over whoops on a lower spring rate to keep up with the coilovers while maintaining a heavier second rate also? Maybe not so good. Again related to being stuck with their springs.

You want to customize shock valving? Another limitation.

You've gotta add up what you want to do and count your costs, as with everything.

I don't really understand the selling feature of these. You mentioned lots of travel, and that's what I see a lot of people being sold on. Yet the extended length is the same as my $400 Fox shocks - and your uptravel is limited to the same amount as mine due to bumpstops. They really don't compare to coil overs - and to a standard shock setup there's really no benefit. A majority of ride quality does come from springs not shocks. You also mention there's no ability to change valving which is offered on even some low end shocks. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see a single reason to use these over a standard spring/shock setup? (I'm not intending to sound like a dick)

Last edited by a moderator:

chitown35

LOSER
I don't really understand the selling feature of these. You mentioned lots of travel, and that's what I see a lot of people being sold on. Yet the extended length is the same as my $400 Fox shocks - and your uptravel is limited to the same amount as mine due to bumpstops. They really don't compare to coil overs - and to a standard shock setup there's really no benefit. A majority of ride quality does come from springs not shocks. If you're driving over whoops in the desert - a coil over set up is the proper way to do it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Right on about the bumpstop and uptravel. You need to run flares that allow you to cut the support bracket off. Only 1" bumpstop is needed for the shocks and THEIR springs.

However the mounts also move the shock down a little, so length comparisons aren't 1-1.

Top Bottom