Can't fix stupid

The BAD Influence

When do you draw the line on helping others on a trail?
We came across 2 families in stock, newer, Grand Cherokees today. They were on a trail they never should have been on. Both vehicles on street tires, and one had tires running on the wear bars. That one had 3 Sliced sidewalls.
We attempted to air them up, to maybe get them off the trail. But, air was coming out as fast as we were putting it in.
We had 1 plug kit. But even if we used up the kit trying to patch 1, we still had 2 others to deal with.
We gave them the # for Moab Motorsports, made sure they had water and food, and left them. Figuring they'd have to pay for their stupidity to get rescued.
We've helped countless others, who have come upon bad luck. Changed our plans, to make sure people got off the trail safely. Even gotten in trouble with our wives, cause we were helping get someone off the trail. Today, though, we accessed the situation. Determined, there was nothing short of a professional recovery for the situation. Made sure food and water was ample, then left them in their state.
I hate leaving someone stranded, but if you ignore all logical reasons for not attempting a trail, I kinda feel you should learn your hard lesson.
Thoughts?

jesse3638

Hooked
When do you draw the line on helping others on a trail?
We came across 2 families in stock, newer, Grand Cherokees today. They were on a trail they never should have been on. Both vehicles on street tires, and one had tires running on the wear bars. That one had 3 Sliced sidewalls.
We attempted to air them up, to maybe get them off the trail. But, air was coming out as fast as we were putting it in.
We had 1 plug kit. But even if we used up the kit trying to patch 1, we still had 2 others to deal with.
We gave them the # for Moab Motorsports, made sure they had water and food, and left them. Figuring they'd have to pay for their stupidity to get rescued.
We've helped countless others, who have come upon bad luck. Changed our plans, to make sure people got off the trail safely. Even gotten in trouble with our wives, cause we were helping get someone off the trail. Today, though, we accessed the situation. Determined, there was nothing short of a professional recovery for the situation. Made sure food and water was ample, then left them in their state.
I hate leaving someone stranded, but if you ignore all logical reasons for not attempting a trail, I kinda feel you should learn your hard lesson.
Thoughts?
Sounds like the only other thing you could have done would have been to take all 4 tires off, load them up, and haul them into town to buy new tires or run them into town to get what they needed to repair their tires. If they had cell service, food and water that's totally different that leaving someone in the middle of no where with nothing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using WAYALIFE mobile app

After getting my Jeep stuck way out on the pony express trail after a few years back trying to help two older gentlemen that had gotten stuck.... I have a different outlook. I’ll help if it’s logical and doesn’t put me or my family in risk of also becoming stuck or broken. I ended up having to leave my Jeep in door deep mud for 3 days while a massive shit show of vehicle recovery ensued.

I’ll always offer some kind of assistance. To what degree that assistance is will vary depending situation and circumstances.

MericaMade

I tried to help this guy last year after he asked me to help him and no matter what I told him to do he did the opposite. The best part was after a few failed attempts on his part not listening to my direction he had the audacity to tell me he knew what he was doing. I said, really because your still stuck using lockers when I got 5 other rigs up and one did not have lockers. After a few more failed attempts and him bashing into a tree I said fuck it and walked away. Told his friend it was his problem.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I was coming down out of Laurel Lakes last year.... and about 600 yards from the trailhead was a bone stock Denali Suburban With 20” Rims and low stance Jammed in the middle of the Trail... In front of her was a brand new stock JLU... While they were standing there starring at the situation I told them exactly what to do and I would be happy to help.... of course the Guy in the JL started doing the opposite... and my patience was running out fast... so I asked if it was His idea to bring the Womans High dollar Street Suburban up here... He said “yes... I thought she would be ok”... so I politely asked if he could move his Jeep so I could get by. There was plenty of daylight left and 5 rigs waiting behind them... so I wasnt about to torture my Family with his stupidity.

jesse3638

Hooked
I was coming down out of Laurel Lakes last year.... and about 600 yards from the trailhead was a bone stock Denali Suburban With 20” Rims and low stance Jammed in the middle of the Trail... In front of her was a brand new stock JLU... While they were standing there starring at the situation I told them exactly what to do and I would be happy to help.... of course the Guy in the JL started doing the opposite... and my patience was running out fast... so I asked if it was His idea to bring the Womans High dollar Street Suburban up here... He said “yes... I thought she would be ok”... so I politely asked if he could move his Jeep so I could get by. There was plenty of daylight left and 5 rigs waiting behind them... so I wasnt about to torture my Family with his stupidity.
Pulling out a beer and watching could have been pretty entertaining. Kind of like watching inexperienced people launching boats on a holiday weekend.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Pulling out a beer and watching could have been pretty entertaining. Kind of like watching inexperienced people launching boats on a holiday weekend.

Lol.. oh no doubt!! I’ve spent hours drinking beer on launch ramps at the River... and this was definitely one of those situations... but I had no Beer, a tired Wife and antsy kids with me... So “Fuck this” wasn’t a hard decision given the circumstances. [emoji23]

jesse3638

Hooked
Lol.. oh no doubt!! I’ve spent hours drinking beer on launch ramps at the River... and this was definitely one of those situations... but I had no Beer, a tired Wife and antsy kids with me... So “Fuck this” wasn’t a hard decision given the circumstances. [emoji23]
Haha sounds like the right one

jeeeep

Hooked
If they're a dick that "knows what he's doing" then I wish them good luck and carry on.

If they want help but have numerous issues and there is cell service, I tell them to make the call. I'll leave them with water if they don't have any.

If there's no cell service, I'll offer them a ride out but 1st make sure they have a solid gps location for the tow service.

I've learned my lesson trying to help someone and ending up spending unnecessary hours due to their lack of preparedness and stupidity, just don't have the patience for it anymore.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Lol Havasu boat launch in the afternoon on a holiday weekend. Always good for some laughs.:beer:

My parents live near Havasu. My dads new hobby is people watching, laughing and talking shit about all the goons at the boat launch. 🤣🤣

Back in the day my family had a place on the parker strip... our place was right in front of the launch ramp on a bend in the river... all the newbies assumed the current would push the boat down river... But everyone from the park knew the water swirled up river in that spot... it made for some awesome entertainment.

The BAD Influence

It gets better!

A "friend" sent a 911 text. Knowing we were out on Golden Spike. When we got service, we called him.
In his POS TJ, decided to do Cliffhanger, with no spare.
He Sliced a sidewall. Got a ride back to town, found a spare. Loaded the spare on a SxS and headed back out. Rolled the SxS and lost the tire over the edge.
By the time we got home, he had made it back to town, and had a 33" spare. TJ is on 35s. We took off about 7pm. Cliffhanger is so dug out, getting to his Jeep was a chore. Getting him and his POS back out, was an adventure.
ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE!

Brute

Hooked
A "friend" sent a 911 text. Knowing we were out on Golden Spike. When we got service, we called him.
He Sliced a sidewall. Got a ride back to town, found a spare. Loaded the spare on a SxS and headed back out. Rolled the SxS and lost the tire over the edge.
By the time we got home, he had made it back to town, and had a 33" spare. TJ is on 35s. We took off about 7pm. Cliffhanger is so dug out, getting to his Jeep was a chore. Getting him and his POS back out, was an adventure.
ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE!

Rolled the SxS and lost the spare over the edge?...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE!

With friends like that, you don't need any enemies 🙄

Rolled the SxS and lost the spare over the edge?...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I nearly spit out my breakfast reading that line.

I'm glad everyone made it back safe, and you now have an epic campfire story to tell on future trips.

Top Bottom