Catalyst and O2 Senor Not Completed/ Ready

jrr0189

So I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler X with over 174,000 miles, and I took it in for inspection. The tech came out and said that I did not pass because both the catalyst and O2 sensor were not completed/ready. I can only have one not completed/ ready. He suggested that I drive 45-60 miles. Well, I drove 200 miles and took it in, and still the same results. Has anyone dealt with this before? I have tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery, and I am putting miles on it to see if this will resolve the situation, but I was curious if there is more to this problem.

Donut707

a couple of questions ? have you or did you have a check engine light for any cat problems recently ? I have seen first gen JK's have cat issues , lost efficiency and O2 sensors failing. my 08 had one bank loose efficiency , i changed O2 sensors , what solve the CEL was adding spark plug DE fouler to the O2 sensor . all it did was add a spacer to the O2 sensor pulling it away from the exhaust stream .... my state does not perform inspections , so i can't say if this would help you pass ( probably not) ... but it sounds like you may need to replace you cats and 02 ... but some before you pull that trigger i would perform some real trouble shooting to see where the problem is ... good luck

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
O2 heater monitor will only set on cold starts. Let vehicle sit overnight and start again then drive. O2 sensor will set mainly in stop and go traffic along with highway driving. For the cat monitor drive around 55-60 at a constant speed for many miles. Do not use cruise control!!

jrr0189

a couple of questions ? have you or did you have a check engine light for any cat problems recently ? I have seen first gen JK's have cat issues , lost efficiency and O2 sensors failing. my 08 had one bank loose efficiency , i changed O2 sensors , what solve the CEL was adding spark plug DE fouler to the O2 sensor . all it did was add a spacer to the O2 sensor pulling it away from the exhaust stream .... my state does not perform inspections , so i can't say if this would help you pass ( probably not) ... but it sounds like you may need to replace you cats and 02 ... but some before you pull that trigger i would perform some real trouble shooting to see where the problem is ... good luck
That is the thing: I had no signs leading up to the inspection failure. There has not been a check engine light, and I really haven't felt a change in performance, but when I have gone to the inspection place twice each time, the reader has shown that the catalyst and O2 sensor are not ready.

jeeeep

Hooked
What cozdude says, I deal with this every year on my 2010 JKU, because I don't drive it enough to keep the cat/O2 cycled properly.
I have to put about 100 miles on it the day before inspection to get it to pass or I get the failed cat/O2
Because I don't drive it enough, I did have to change out a couple of the O2 sensors on the faulty side, then drove it 100 miles to break it in.

jrr0189

O2 heater monitor will only set on cold starts. Let vehicle sit overnight and start again then drive. O2 sensor will set mainly in stop and go traffic along with highway driving. For the cat monitor drive around 55-60 at a constant speed for many miles. Do not use cruise control!!
How long do I need to drive on the highway at those speeds? I drive for a short bit on the highway to work, but it is only .25 miles long, and then I turn into the neighborhood.

jrr0189

What cozdude says, I deal with this every year on my 2010 JKU, because I don't drive it enough to keep the cat/O2 cycled properly.
I have to put about 100 miles on it the day before inspection to get it to pass or I get the failed cat/O2
Because I don't drive it enough, I did have to change out a couple of the O2 sensors on the faulty side, then drove it 100 miles to break it in.
I also don't drive much; I probably run a total of 20 miles a day and some days I put less. I will definitely look into doing this.

jeeeep

Hooked
How long do I need to drive on the highway at those speeds? I drive for a short bit on the highway to work, but it is only .25 miles long, and then I turn into the neighborhood.
I take a couple of hour drive ,50 freeway miles out, stop for 15 minutes to let it cool, drive back at no less than 60mph.
I drive a stretch where the speed limit is 70 so I can vary 60-70 no cruise control.
I'll also kick it into passing gear (as if the JKU has one lol) but I figure anything to clear out the spider webs in the exhaust.
I tried driving it for ta couple of weeks before inspection was due but driving it around town doesn't do enough to get it hot enough.

Freeway driving does the trick.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I can get customers readiness monitors to set within 10 miles most times. Some vehicles take about 100 miles. It’s just all depends. For the highway portion I would recommend no less than 5 miles.

jrr0189

I can get customers readiness monitors to set within 10 miles most times. Some vehicles take about 100 miles. It’s just all depends. For the highway portion I would recommend no less than 5 miles.
Okay, I will need to get on a freeway, not my local highways. Somehow they think putting lights on a highway is a great idea. Hopefully this can resolve my issue. Thanks for the input yall!

jeeeep

Hooked
My 2010 JKU takes 100 miles, I've tried less and it fails.
But, it only gets driven a few miles about every 3 months, I really need to replace the valve cover gaskets and drive it more.

jkwaterdog

So I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler X with over 174,000 miles, and I took it in for inspection. The tech came out and said that I did not pass because both the catalyst and O2 sensor were not completed/ready. I can only have one not completed/ ready. He suggested that I drive 45-60 miles. Well, I drove 200 miles and took it in, and still the same results. Has anyone dealt with this before? I have tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery, and I am putting miles on it to see if this will resolve the situation, but I was curious if there is more to this problem.
Same happened to me 2008 JK. Make sure your gas take is full or close to full. I recall reading it wont reset if gas it too low. I dove 200+ miles with no luck. filled the gas tank and got it reset soon after. good luck.

jrr0189

So, I have not yet been able to reach highway speeds for more than 5 miles. I will try when I need to fill my tank back up. I don't drive many miles since the school I work at is nearby, and I luckily have not gotten in trouble for being out of date on my registration due inspection, so I plan to get this done but my schedule has made it difficult to get out and drive a lot.

jrr0189

So I have taken it for a ride and still have no change. Here is what my O2 sensors are showing on my JScan app. I'm looking at swapping sensors to other sides to seeing if I get the same results or do the results switch side. My question is where is bank 1 and bank 2 located on the exhaust system?

Attachments

• IMG_3303.png
    IMG_3303.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 9

jeeeep

Hooked
So I have taken it for a ride and still have no change. Here is what my O2 sensors are showing on my JScan app. I'm looking at swapping sensors to other sides to seeing if I get the same results or do the results switch side. My question is where is bank 1 and bank 2 located on the exhaust system?
2012-06-21_152739_2012-06-21_092604.png

What kind of test drive did you make? variable highway speeds?
if you drove around the block it likely didn't do much for the codes to detect and reset.
It may also take a few cycles to reset.

jrr0189

So I have driven highway speeds, city speeds, put over 200 miles or one whole gas tank. The crazy part of all this is that there is no code flipped, but I can't pass inspection, and these are the numbers I'm getting on the sensors.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I have driven highway speeds, city speeds, put over 200 miles or one whole gas tank. The crazy part of all this is that there is no code flipped, but I can't pass inspection, and these are the numbers I'm getting on the sensors.
How many monitor have ran? Here in PA when I perform an emissions inspection I can run the test if all but 1 of the readiness monitors has ran. So if your state works the same and this is the only one not ran then your good to get the test done

jrr0189

So my oxygen and catalyst are both not ready so in Texas, that means it won't pass. The frustration is no code has flipped but the monitor won't show they are ready so I'm chasing this problem with not much.

LS JK

So my oxygen and catalyst are both not ready so in Texas, that means it won't pass. The frustration is no code has flipped but the monitor won't show they are ready so I'm chasing this problem with not much.
How many miles do you have since you cleared codes or disconnecting the battery? The 02s usually need a few cold starts and need to be driven like 20 minuets each time, the cat wont set till the 02 sets. If there is a problem it will throw a code after the monitor completes

Top Bottom