Catalytic Converter Recommendations for 2008 JKU - Code 420

TeamFaust

2008 JKU with 125,000 miles is throwing PO420 code (Right / Passenger side, yes?) and I need to get it pass emissions testing (in Arizona).

Tried replacing both O2 sensors on that side and all seemed good after I cleared the code until about 90 miles later (when CMU started "reporting" again) and bam code back. I'm guessing Cat replacement time so looking for some input from those that have actually replaced them -- ideally OEM would be great but budget is tight and reviews on a number of Amazon/eBay options look promising ($250-$300 range). I would love to get some input on anyone's experiences / recommendation on any of these.

Also anything else (other than the O2 sensors) that I should do while I'l in there -- I do plan to inspect exhaust manifolds etc for cracks / exhaust leaks as well.

Thanks in advance for your sharing.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Get the Magna Flow cats. Magna Flow has done a lot of exhaust system research and their catalytic converters work well. They are not cheap. We installed Magna Flow cats in the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler. You don’t want to cheap out on catalytic converters.

There’s a way to test for bad converters, but I don’t recall how. You should be able to look it on YouTube. A knowledgeable shop can test your converters.

jeeeep

Hooked
I replaced the cat on my 2010 JKUR with the Magnaflow Direct-fit, easy install, no issues; it now costs $500 more than when I bought mine.

Since you live behind the iron curtain, you have to get a CA/CARB copmliant model for your Jeep $5800 for the full direct fit assembly, only the cats $1,134 each 🤪

May be worth paying a service shop to tell you which cat is bad before replacing it all.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I replaced the cat on my 2010 JKUR with the Magnaflow Direct-fit, easy install, no issues; it now costs $500 more than when I bought mine.

Since you live behind the iron curtain, you have to get a CA/CARB copmliant model for your Jeep $5800 for the full direct fit assembly, only the cats $1,134 each 🤪

May be worth paying a service shop to tell you which cat is bad before replacing it all.
Profile says AZ. Should be good without CA compliant.

TeamFaust

Profile says AZ. Should be good without CA compliant.
Yep as Overlander said I’m in AZ (escaped CA a couple years ago).

Will look into the Magna Flow as I have their exhaust and really like it. Still interested in low cost options if any recommendations as a possible short term solution.

pvkj454

I used an eBay complete Y pipe assembly. It worked great but probably only put 7k miles on it before the LS swap. I put chep eBay cats on the exhaust that I fabricated for the LS swap also. They have over 10k miles on them now. They can't last as long as an OEM cat but I decided to gamble.

jeeeep

Hooked
I used an eBay complete Y pipe assembly. It worked great but probably only put 7k miles on it before the LS swap. I put chep eBay cats on the exhaust that I fabricated for the LS swap also. They have over 10k miles on them now. They can't last as long as an OEM cat but I decided to gamble.

That's cheap!

TeamFaust

That's interesting...fit right in without modifications? Might be an interesting solution to get the emissions done.

pvkj454

That's interesting...fit right in without modifications? Might be an interesting solution to get the emissions done.

Yes it was a direct fit. I also cut the converters off of the old Y pipe and sold them at the scrap yard. The brick was collapsed on the passenger front cat but they took it anyway.

TeamFaust

Ordered so we'll see what happens, Hopefully can get at it next week. I've also had a slight exhaust leak for years so going to inspect exhaust manifolds to try to pin down location and work that one first then Cat Replacement. 🤞

Top Bottom