CB install help

WarriorJeep

I'm sure everyone already knows this or would figure it out, but I would like to point out that the SWR meter that's integrated into the CB is a "ballpark" reading at best.

For a few bucks, generally 15 to 20 dollars you can have your local CB shop match your antenna. For that manner contact the HAM radio club near you and get it done for free or close to it.

Good SWR = longer transmit, better recieve, and you won't cook the finals in your CB.

Alternatively you can grab an swr meter for CB radios off Amazon for $15 bucks. IMHO it's a tool as important as a lug wrench, and is part of my trail kit.

That being said the number one cause of high swr on jeeps is poor grounding. Typically at the antenna end. If you connect your CB direct to the battery, your well grounded there. If you have put a switch in between, the radio and battery...add a frame to radio ground.

Oh and any ever has an swr meter in hand and needs help using and calibrating it. PM me with your contact number and I'll be happy to walk you thru the nuances anytime.

JudeinPa

Last edited:

ncbmx64

Ok will try grinding some off where it mounts to the jeep. Sanded down where the antenna connects with no change.

swampdog

Ok will try grinding some off where it mounts to the jeep. Sanded down where the antenna connects with no change.

Someone with more knowledge can speak up here, but could it be that the coax sleeving got nicked when pulling cable? I would guess wouldn't have a good SWR if that happened. Is the radio itself grounded at the screw by the foot loop of the door or at the battery?

ncbmx64

Sanded some of powder coat and now have continuity to ground but now getting antenna warning when I key up and talk. Swr still the same. Will remove the mount and sand both sides of bolt holes and see if that helps. So it's got a little better but still acting weird. Was able to get a response from someone about 1.5-2 miles away so seems to be working some what ok.

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice I greatly appreciate it!

Top Bottom