CB Radio?

JK LYF

what eddie said. there are some better ones that are just over $100 that will be tougher to mount due to size but will work better. another middle ground option (if you like to call if that) is the cobra 75. its small and does a great job all for around $100.

here is a pic of it

Coz......What did you use to mount the CB to the lower dash area?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Coz......What did you use to mount the CB to the lower dash area?

Since I have a super base model sport (only upgrade was A/C) I have a little plastic hook/clip in that location. I broke it off and just used self tapping screws into the plastic to hold the cb mount

hydrohut

If your mounting the radio up by the rearview mirror you can easily run the coax along the roll cage and back to the tailgate. Most of the fabric covering the cage unzips so its easy to hide it under that.

JK LYF

Since I have a super base model sport (only upgrade was A/C) I have a little plastic hook/clip in that location. I broke it off and just used self tapping screws into the plastic to hold the cb mount

Gotcha. Looking at CBs now. Kinda interested in that one.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Gotcha. Looking at CBs now. Kinda interested in that one.

The 75 was a good one imo. Never had any issues with volume like some people claim. If your only gonna use it for the trails then the 75 is perfect due to its size. Just unhook it from the transmitter box when done and throw it in the glove compartment

Riley Moss

Get the uniden bearcat 880 easy to install comes with a built in inline fuse has NOAA channels and scan features. You can pick one up from cb world.com 130 comes with mounting bracket too.

Tigrcky

Get the uniden bearcat 880 easy to install comes with a built in inline fuse has NOAA channels and scan features. You can pick one up from cb world.com 130 comes with mounting bracket too.

It also has antenna pass /fail diagnosis section for easier set up

Riley Moss

And a built in SWR meter although I have seen some comments about the accuracy of the built in meters I personally haven't had any problems I've installed 5 of these so far but I'd say all around its a good deal for 130

Tigrcky

And a built in SWR meter although I have seen some comments about the accuracy of the built in meters I personally haven't had any problems I've installed 5 of these so far but I'd say all around its a good deal for 130

And they come out of the box with about a 5 watt output and can be tuned to 20 not to mention the day/night colors

Wethy

i have the cobra 18WXSTII its decent paid about 69 bucks for it and has weather scan and a 9/19 channel switch feature it works well while listening on the highway and on the trail no built in SWR though which would have been nice. bout the same size as a single din stereo. CB 1.jpg

MarkW13

Yes but it's not enforced

The ham guys may try to track you down, but in general you have to transmit in excess of 1000 watts before someone starts looking for you. 20 watts is relatively minor.

While the topic of illegal is on the table, anyone using a baofeng uv5r? My group uses them and they are far better than any cb. You can buy a hand mic and radio for less than $50. The battery lasts 2 days and you have com's anywhere, not just in your jeep.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
The ham guys may try to track you down, but in general you have to transmit in excess of 1000 watts before someone starts looking for you. 20 watts is relatively minor.

While the topic of illegal is on the table, anyone using a baofeng uv5r? My group uses them and they are far better than any cb. You can buy a hand mic and radio for less than $50. The battery lasts 2 days and you have com's anywhere, not just in your jeep.

Yeah. Good little handheld, although I guess I'm a weirdo and actually got the FCC license to use the thing. :crazyeyes:

MarkW13

Yeah. Good little handheld, although I guess I'm a weirdo and actually got the FCC license to use the thing. :crazyeyes:

There is some merit to getting the license. If you dont know anything about radios or communication systems it will give you the basics to get started.

rich67

Caught the Bug
I have been entertaining the idea of getting a Baofeng, but I guess the catch is you need others to have a Baofeng to communicate, whereas the CB you can chat with everyone and they are a lot more common on the trail. I don't like the idea of running my Jeep naked and leaving a CB out in the open, hence my wanting to grab a pair of Baofengs.

CJW

what eddie said. there are some better ones that are just over $100 that will be tougher to mount due to size but will work better. another middle ground option (if you like to call if that) is the cobra 75. its small and does a great job all for around $100.

here is a pic of it

I mounted mine the same way. Works well there.

CooperM

I bought a kit from cooltechllc.com - Cobra 75, coax, firestick, mount for mic and mount for antenna - for about 200 bucks. You have the choice of antenna mounts for either on the license plate frame or behind the spare. I went with the mount behind the spare but the antenna was mashed against the tire. So I ended up getting a spacer to push the wheel out a bit.

Top Bottom