Centrailia, PA and more

Wethy

Today I stumbled upon this place on Instagram of some pictures from the "graffiti highway". Just wondering if anyone's been there and what it's actually like, if it's even legal to be there. As I'm in Ontario PA is about 5-6 hours away and is something My girlfriend and I would make a weekend out of it and maybe hit Rausch creek in the process sometime next year. Wondering about anything y'all may know or sweet spots in/around Pennsylvania as well. Thanks in advance!

Ps images pulled off google!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470621583.160879.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470621619.629623.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470621519.487380.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470621519.487380.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 84

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Unfortunately it is illegal to go on the highway (from my knowledge) but people still do it all the time

UGAdudeoo7

Believe that area is a near ghost town because the coal deposits underground have been slowly burning since the 1960s. Saw it on a Netflix show about dangerous places actually.

Wethy

Unfortunately it is illegal to go on the highway (from my knowledge) but people still do it all the time

Ha ha that's what I wondered!! I figured that was the case in that case anything else to see/do in PA?

Believe that area is a near ghost town because the coal deposits underground have been slowly burning since the 1960s. Saw it on a Netflix show about dangerous places actually.

And from what I have read it seems like that's the case however when I looked at google maps the rest of the roads running through that town(centrailia) are still open as when I checked on time to get to Rausch creek it went right through there and past the abandoned highway lol

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It is illegal to be there. Back about 10 years ago it was in a lot better shape and wasn't illegal. I always wanted to go there but never made it. I believe there are still a few people who live there but probably not for much longer.

Donner85

My friend has been there a bunch of times, says there's trails all over. He also ran into another jeep out there. The highway is closed since the fires messed up the roadway but the there's a bypass and you can still get into town.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Last I heard there was only one guy still living there, went there maybe 10 years ago, very interesting to see, had to park and walk down the road to the steaming crack and there was a smoking sinkhole that was cool to see. Doesn't take much time to check it out, nice little roadside America kind of detour.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
One house left from when I was there last year, I personally wouldnt drive on the road, but you "can" if you really want to. You need to be careful however of the sink holes that can open up. I think its more fun when its colder to check the area out since you can really see the steam coming up from the cracks.

The only thing semi-local that I can think of, other than Rausch, would be the Yuengling Brewery

Wethy

Thanks for the info everyone I probly wouldn't drive on it anyways. I would have walked it. But it seems like there's a few other things to do so maybe there'll be a way to make a trip out things yet! I always see the trips to Rausch and it looks fun!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for the info everyone I probly wouldn't drive on it anyways. I would have walked it. But it seems like there's a few other things to do so maybe there'll be a way to make a trip out things yet! I always see the trips to Rausch and it looks fun!

One coming up in September :)

Top Bottom