Choosing A Soft Top

I bought the premium one top from someone in this forum awhile ago, they are made by bestop, but according to mopar specs. When I replaced the poles with bestop one the quality of the parts seemed to be a little bit better and they came with more adjustments and quick realases.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the abundance of experience here with the tops. The majority have said OEM Premium. We'll probably do that. If we do it this year, it will have to be pretty soon as weather is changing. We shall see.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
If it has been said I apologize. Bestop makes the factory. I would get a bestop one and would save you some $$$ as well.

WJCO

Meme King
If it has been said I apologize. Bestop makes the factory. I would get a bestop one and would save you some $$$ as well.

So is a Bestop Premium the same as a Mopar Premium ?

Also, cost isn't really an issue, we just want to make sure and get something quality that will last. Do it once. So if the two are comparable, we don't mind saving the money.

Ddays

Hooked

Also, cost isn't really an issue, we just want to make sure and get something quality that will last. Do it once. So if the two are comparable, we don't mind saving the money.

They are both made by Bestop but from what I'm gathering from the responses is that the Mopar version is better quality?

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Yes, the Mopar Premium is basically the same as the Bestop Twill Supertop NX. That being said, they are not identical and I don't think that you can swap all the parts between them. The Bestop is probably the better of the two and is less expensive ($1,500 Amazon) than buying the Mopar from the dealer ($1,800). The Mopar top is attractive (less $) if your new Jeep has the Dual Top Group for $2,200 (1,200 for the soft to & $1,000 for the hard top). Otherwise it's common to find new or slightly used OEM Tops on CL for $500 to $ 1,000.

Edit: The costs are assuming a JKU. I missed if you are going 2 or 4 doors.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Yes, the Mopar Premium is basically the same as the Bestop Twill Supertop NX. That being said, they are not identical and I don't think that you can swap all the parts between them. The Bestop is probably the better of the two and is less expensive ($1,500 Amazon) than buying the Mopar from the dealer ($1,800). The Mopar top is attractive (less $) if your new Jeep has the Dual Top Group for $2,200 (1,200 for the soft to & $1,000 for the hard top). Otherwise it's common to find new or slightly used OEM Tops on CL for $500 to $ 1,000.

Edit: The costs are assuming a JKU. I missed if you are going 2 or 4 doors.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

14JK-U

soft top shopping

with warmer weather around the corner i'm looking for a soft top with certain features.

1) my Jeep didn't come with the roll bar mounts from the factory so Fastback style only (which is what I prefer anyway)
2) I don't like the sun rider function but if it has it not a game changer
3) decently easy to remove and install (living in Washington the weather is bi-polar)
4) would like to not have to worry about water pooling in the middle if possible
5) experience with black diamond vs. twill (leaning towards besttop unless there's a better option for my needs)

suggestions or experience with any of my preferences? thanks

edit: just realized I posted this in the tech section, my mistake

WJCO

Meme King
with warmer weather around the corner i'm looking for a soft top with certain features.

1) my Jeep didn't come with the roll bar mounts from the factory so Fastback style only (which is what I prefer anyway)
2) I don't like the sun rider function but if it has it not a game changer
3) decently easy to remove and install (living in Washington the weather is bi-polar)
4) would like to not have to worry about water pooling in the middle if possible
5) experience with black diamond vs. twill (leaning towards besttop unless there's a better option for my needs)

suggestions or experience with any of my preferences? thanks

edit: just realized I posted this in the tech section, my mistake

Merged your thread here. I didn't realize at the time, but we got the black diamond fabric. I wished we had gotten twill. Temperature isn't an issue at all for us, but the black diamond fabric stays dirty and it is hard to clean.

14JK-U

thanks for the merger, just read through your thread here. when you were looking for a soft top did your jeep come with the factory mounting points on the roll bars? or does the JK not have it? my only experience with soft tops are on TJ's and they all had the plastic mounts for the bows to screw into. I might have to give besttop a call and figure out if I can get a factory style top with how my jeep was built

WJCO

Meme King
thanks for the merger, just read through your thread here. when you were looking for a soft top did your jeep come with the factory mounting points on the roll bars? or does the JK not have it? my only experience with soft tops are on TJ's and they all had the plastic mounts for the bows to screw into. I might have to give besttop a call and figure out if I can get a factory style top with how my jeep was built

Our soft top came with everything. The door surrounds, roll bar mounts, etc.

if you regret not getting a twill top, I’d keep looking on Craigslist. They pop up all the time, you’ve just gotta be ready and pounce when one comes available.

I found one out here a couple months ago for $150!!! The guy didn’t even advertise it as a premium top but when I got there I saw that it was...guy said his wife didn’t like the soft top but it came with their jeep.

That was for our 4-door, the search for a premium top for my 2-door has been a different story altogether. I’ve done a nationwide wide search on Craigslist...

Just finding the 2-door premium tops for sale has been a chore, then trying to get the seller to ship to Hawaii...what really surprised me though, was that I found at least 10 4-door premium tops for sale to every 1 2-door top. I knew that more JKU’s are being made these days (as opposed to JK’s) but I was still shocked at how many more 4-door tops were available.

TLDR version...if you want a premium soft top, just keep looking. I know for a fact that they are out there...at least for the 4-doors. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked

I bought mine with a hardtop so I had none of the hardware to mount my soft top when I got it. Bestop sells the tops that do come with all of the hardware you'll need in that case. All of the mounting points are already there so you don't have to do anything other than attach a couple brackets on the rear rollbar. Piece of cake.

AZRubicon1

Another vote for twill here, no matter if you get oem or bestop. I have the twill and its only a bit louder than my hard top. Also it is black and stays black, which is what I personally wanted.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
I have the premium twill from the factory (no hard top) and run it year round in a climate that gets a wee bit chilly in winter. Also tow behind my RV about 9500 miles this past year getting it absolutely filthy and it cleans up easy when we get where we are going

Top Bottom