Chromoly axle shaft Vs RCV axle shat

Ddays

Hooked
I guess I'm on the other side of the RCV debate lol. I've had two sets of RCVs in my WJ. One set in my D30 and another set in my HP44 that had to be custom. I haven't had any issues with either set, but as somebody mentioned before, my WJ has hubs up front. I've abused the shit out of that jeep (hence one reason it hasnt been working in forever), and they've held up.

Now obviously the opinions expressed in this thread are from first hand accounts, and while personally I think they are both good options, it all comes down to your persona preference.

When it comes to my JK, I will probably do Chromoly shafts.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the RCV shafts, it's just that:
1) they are very expensive
2) they really aren't necessary in a low HP vehicle like a V6 JK
3) the damn things sound like shit as they wear

On a dedicated high HP/trailered rig RCV's would be a good choice I think. On a street driven Jeep I think the full circle clip Chromo shafts are fine.

shogun

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the RCV shafts, it's just that:
1) they are very expensive
2) they really aren't necessary in a low HP vehicle like a V6 JK
3) the damn things sound like shit as they wear

On a dedicated high HP/trailered rig RCV's would be a good choice I think. On a street driven Jeep I think the full circle clip Chromo shafts are fine.

Damn glad I read this thread, my thinking of RCV being the holy grail is somewhat diminished for the regular fella.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Damn glad I read this thread, my thinking of RCV being the holy grail is somewhat diminished for the regular fella.

They are a great product for the most part, I’ve run them for the better part of a year and have over 15k on them with no issues. They are expensive for what they are as Ddays said. There are a lot of great chromoly axles that are cheaper and more than strong enough for what most people will put them thru. But if you had your heart set on them, they are a very solid front axle and so far I would recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
They are a great product for the most part, I’ve run them for the better part of a year and have over 15k on them with no issues. They are expensive for what they are as Ddays said. There are a lot of great chromoly axles that are cheaper and more than strong enough for what most people will put them thru. But if you had your heart set on them, they are a very solid front axle and so far I would recommend them.

I was satisfied with mine until they had about 45k or so miles on them. That's when the Rice Krispies routine started. For what they cost I'm kinda pissed I spent so much on them. I gotta tell ya, its a little disconcerting hearing all that goddam popping going on in front. They're gonna need rebuilt this Winter. Ever seen a video of anyone rebuilding these? Not the RCV version where the guy has done a shitload of these before - look at the ones on Youtube of one of us regular tomato cans pounding the piss outta the cages and balls trying to get them out. Can't wait :rolleyes2:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I was satisfied with mine until they had about 45k or so miles on them. That's when the Rice Krispies routine started. For what they cost I'm kinda pissed I spent so much on them. I gotta tell ya, its a little disconcerting hearing all that goddam popping going on in front. They're gonna need rebuilt this Winter. Ever seen a video of anyone rebuilding these? Not the RCV version where the guy has done a shitload of these before - look at the ones on Youtube of one of us regular tomato cans pounding the piss outta the cages and balls trying to get them out. Can't wait :rolleyes2:

Great... I’ll let you lead the way on that one. Make sure you take pictures, document each step, and do a full thread on it!! On a side note. I think you cursed me. I have the slightest squeak coming out of my right rear. Sounds just like a bent flange, but that could never happen with a 60 SF, right??? Never.....

Ddays

Hooked
Great... I’ll let you lead the way on that one. Make sure you take pictures, document each step, and do a full thread on it!! On a side note. I think you cursed me. I have the slightest squeak coming out of my right rear. Sounds just like a bent flange, but that could never happen with a 60 SF, right??? Never.....

LOL, when I do it I'll be sure to take lots of pics. Can't wait...:rolleyes2:

Hell no - can't be a bent flange. Especially on a SF60! Turn up the radio. As long as it isn't wobbly you'll be fine!
Haha - first trip to Rausch Creek I bent one of mine so bad it looked like a clown car going down the road! :cheesy:

wjtstudios

Hooked
LOL, when I do it I'll be sure to take lots of pics. Can't wait...:rolleyes2:

Hell no - can't be a bent flange. Especially on a SF60! Turn up the radio. As long as it isn't wobbly you'll be fine!
Haha - first trip to Rausch Creek I bent one of mine so bad it looked like a clown car going down the road! :cheesy:

With the top on I can’t hear it. I’ll swap it in the winter or spring.

Torrin

I guess I'm on the other side of the RCV debate lol. I've had two sets of RCVs in my WJ. One set in my D30 and another set in my HP44 that had to be custom. I haven't had any issues with either set, but as somebody mentioned before, my WJ has hubs up front. I've abused the shit out of that jeep (hence one reason it hasnt been working in forever), and they've held up.

Now obviously the opinions expressed in this thread are from first hand accounts, and while personally I think they are both good options, it all comes down to your persona preference.

When it comes to my JK, I will probably do Chromoly shafts.

Yup, I had RCV's on my D30 with my 2007 2DR and it was pretty stout. As Eddy mention, I did end up with the pop/click crap, which was annoying, but I ran 100k miles, a lot of wheeling and they were still going strong when I got rid of it last year. I went a different way on my 2017 with a Dynatrack Trail Leader package - D44 Unlimited up front and 35 spline axles in the back.

Top Bottom