Citizen Band Radio help please

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Since nobody has, I'm going to answer these....

I want to get a CB in my 15 Rubicon Unlimited... I have a few questions..

- are the integrated mic/radios any good?
- I am rather a gadget geek.. What's the "top of line" CB? Does it even matter?
It sorta does - the integrated ones are good if you never use a CB. There are several top end CBs, the Cobra 29LX that a lot of people here get is definitely NOT it. If you only use it for wheeling, just get yourself a uniden 520xl..its comtact, but works great. Typically performance isn't gauged by the radio as much as by the antenna. If you really want to make sure you have a good transmit, buy one that's peaked and tuned. Plenty of places you can do it on the internet. THat will ensure you get all the power your radio has, as typically from the factory they are tuned down just a bit to ensure they comply legally. Tuning them up doesn't make them illegal usually, it just gets them to 100% rather than 80%. They do this from the factory to ensure variations always stay legal.
-Mounting.. I saw rugged ridge mounts.. Are those good? Seems easy to install and not requiring drilling , but seems it may obstruct mirror. Thoughts?
They are fine..there are tons of others that are exactly the same. It doesn't obstruct the mirror at all.
- Antenna... Firestick seems good. I like this fat looking stick from visual point of view. I'm confused about length though.
Firestick is really a good choice. The tuneable end variety is going to be a lot easier to tune than a cut to tune. Recommended.
- wiring it up.... Saw some videos on YouTube but all I could find looks like Hack jobs. I want super clean install. Recommendations on install or a shop that does this well would be appreciated.
Don't bother with a shop, it's super easy to do yourself. The wiring will depend on where you mount it. It just requires you to tuck it under the carpet along the edge. If you need specific help, ask.
Sorry for tons of questions I am a total newbie!

Blade

Hope that helps!

REKLESS-RED

Some people dislike integrated cb's but mine works pretty well with my firestik 2. I'm running a midland 75-822 and I have no complaints. It's plenty loud and had decent range but it's not as good as the full size cb's. For what I use it for its great. And I can simply remove it and store it away when is not in use.

Since nobody has, I'm going to answer these....

I suddenly feel very little.

In my defense, I was trying to illustrate the simplicity of the task by using a single paragraph to describe it. :thumb:

And I used a picture.

That has to count for something.

Right? :idontknow:

bladeolson

Awesome advice guys. I ordered some stuff. I went with a Cobra cb , Firestik antenna with a quick release mount, and a rugged ridge mount kit. Just waiting on cables now. I have never installed one before so hopefully I can figure it out.

Blade

bigtrucker52

I want to get a CB in my 15 Rubicon Unlimited... I have a few questions..

- are the integrated mic/radios any good?

- I am rather a gadget geek.. What's the "top of line" CB? Does it even matter?

-Mounting.. I saw rugged ridge mounts.. Are those good? Seems easy to install and not requiring drilling , but seems it may obstruct mirror. Thoughts?

- Antenna... Firestick seems good. I like this fat looking stick from visual point of view. I'm confused about length though.

- wiring it up.... Saw some videos on YouTube but all I could find looks like Hack jobs. I want super clean install. Recommendations on install or a shop that does this well would be appreciated.

Sorry for tons of questions I am a total newbie!

Blade

I have the Rugged Ridge rear view mount and everything this past friday and got the radio mounted Saturday! I just bought the stud and spring for the antenna mount! There is some drilling required for the rear view mount but not a lot. It doesn't really block my view at all

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Awesome advice guys. I ordered some stuff. I went with a Cobra cb , Firestik antenna with a quick release mount, and a rugged ridge mount kit. Just waiting on cables now. I have never installed one before so hopefully I can figure it out.

Blade

It's really quite easy - if you have any trouble or questions just say the word.

Top Bottom