• Mojito Green, JL color

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chestnut Brown Metallic, Classic 70's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Put a wire wheel on my grinder today and did a test patch on the wheel well to see how easy it would be to remove the old bed liner.

The current stuff looks pretty terrible, and I want to redo it with the raptor liner. I will actually end up stripping the entire interior and pulling the dashboard and wiring out, and I will line inside the cowl and the inside firewall as well.

The good news is that the liner is coming off without hardly any effort and I was able to remove a little bit with the basic scraper. I’m sure it will take an entire weekend but I should be able to strip the entire interior out and re-coat it with the good stuff. I can also repair a small crack in the floorboard on the driver side.

After that’s all done I’ll be able to install the new wiring from the firewall back along with the new gauges. It’s all stuff that needs to be done but without a big outlay of money since I already have the parts. Just need to buy the raptor liner.

Attachments

• 30453E41-C757-4354-9C81-E099CFA194E5.jpg
    30453E41-C757-4354-9C81-E099CFA194E5.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 69

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Not a big thing, but another box on the pile. Got an Omix-Ada glove box to replace the ratty cardboard one.

And Friday marks a good paycheck for me. I've been putting a little bit away each payday toward the frame and as of tomorrow I will be halfway there. Only another thousand to go.:bored01:

IMG_0977.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Not a big thing, but another box on the pile. Got an Omix-Ada glove box to replace the ratty cardboard one.

And Friday marks a good paycheck for me. I've been putting a little bit away each payday toward the frame and as of tomorrow I will be halfway there. Only another thousand to go.:bored01:

View attachment 328095

It’s worth the wait on the frame. Doing it right takes more time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
You’re right about that. In truth, the whole project demands a great frame. Much stronger than the original and more security tying the custom roll cage into it.

Exactly. I’m still on the fence for the cage. I just can’t close myself in with that one. Nothing better than no top or doors and windshield down.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
All the pieces will add up to a bad ass jeep in the end.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I sure hope so!

Exactly. I’m still on the fence for the cage. I just can’t close myself in with that one. Nothing better than no top or doors and windshield down.

At least the Scramblers are long and stable plus they have that monster factory roll bar.
A CJ5 has to have a cage IMO, especially one on 35’s. Plus I think they’re super cool if done well.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Got the first part of the frame in. The transmission crossmember/skid. It's made by throttle down kustoms which is the same company that makes the frame I need.
Still adding to the funds for that. Nice piece with good welds. Not cheap, but sweet.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Project Old School has left the building.

For anyone who has followed this... the last couple of months have been a shit storm. I haven't been on here posting much, mostly due to being frustrated with not being able to do anything with the CJ.

My wonderful wife lost her job due some downsizing/going in a different direction bullshit. It was a job she loved and was devastated to lose. Add to that it was a nice 70k annual loss in income.

Long story short-ish, after going through quite a bit of our savings (more than was comfortable) we decided to sell the CJ to help pay bills and stay current on everything. Especially since at that time, job interviews weren't happening yet. (By the way, if you don't know this, Arizona unemployment benefits suck hog balls.)

This particularly sucked because I think this is the first vehicle I ever sold because I had to, rather than being tired of it or wanting some bigger badder toy. I was having a lot of fun tinkering with this one and it was really heading in the right direction. I can't tell you how bummed I was about selling it.
That said, I got most of my money back out of it and it went to a really cool guy who wanted it bad. And who also very much appreciates it. That took a little of the sting away.

The good news is my wife finally got a new job after 3 months of worrying and endless applying. It was a slight pay cut, but not horrible and it's something she seems to like doing.

The other bit of good/interesting news is I had some money left from the CJ and was looking for a cheap toy to hold us over for awhile. Something to play with and wheel occasionally. I found about 5 vehicles in my budget and let my wife pick which one she liked best. We looked at it and made a deal for a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. It has pretty high miles but runs perfectly and was well maintained. Interior is near mint and the paint is really good. It was always garage kept and you can tell. Not a bit of rust anywhere and the undercarriage looks in new condition. It had a leaking valve cover on the passenger side which was a nightmare to change since it is the 4.7 V8 but is done now. While I had the cover off, the valve-train and timing chain and gears looked perfect as did the oil. Not a speck of sludge or grime. Overall, really impressed considering it's age. Has a factory sunroof/moonroof with no leaks. All the electrical functions properly.
It even has a pretty new Kenwood stereo professionally installed with bluetooth and hands free phone function on it.

The best part is I got it for about $2500.00. I love craigslist. I've already driven it more in the 2 weeks I've had it, than I did the CJ in the 2 years I owned it. Hopefully, it will be a fun thing to have. I'm sure I will do some sort of build with it and will post it up here when it happens.

I wish I could have finished the CJ-5, and I'm sorry to those who were following this. That's life sometimes.

For now, I'll just live vicariously through WJTSTUDIOS 85 CJ-8 Scrambler build. That thing is awesome!

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
For anyone who has followed this... the last couple of months have been a shit storm. I haven't been on here posting much, mostly due to being frustrated with not being able to do anything with the CJ.

My wonderful wife lost her job due some downsizing/going in a different direction bullshit. It was a job she loved and was devastated to lose. Add to that it was a nice 70k annual loss in income.

Long story short-ish, after going through quite a bit of our savings (more than was comfortable) we decided to sell the CJ to help pay bills and stay current on everything. Especially since at that time, job interviews weren't happening yet. (By the way, if you don't know this, Arizona unemployment benefits suck hog balls.)

This particularly sucked because I think this is the first vehicle I ever sold because I had to, rather than being tired of it or wanting some bigger badder toy. I was having a lot of fun tinkering with this one and it was really heading in the right direction. I can't tell you how bummed I was about selling it.
That said, I got most of my money back out of it and it went to a really cool guy who wanted it bad. And who also very much appreciates it. That took a little of the sting away.

The good news is my wife finally got a new job after 3 months of worrying and endless applying. It was a slight pay cut, but not horrible and it's something she seems to like doing.

The other bit of good/interesting news is I had some money left from the CJ and was looking for a cheap toy to hold us over for awhile. Something to play with and wheel occasionally. I found about 5 vehicles in my budget and let my wife pick which one she liked best. We looked at it and made a deal for a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. It has pretty high miles but runs perfectly and was well maintained. Interior is near mint and the paint is really good. It was always garage kept and you can tell. Not a bit of rust anywhere and the undercarriage looks in new condition. It had a leaking valve cover on the passenger side which was a nightmare to change since it is the 4.7 V8 but is done now. While I had the cover off, the valve-train and timing chain and gears looked perfect as did the oil. Not a speck of sludge or grime. Overall, really impressed considering it's age. Has a factory sunroof/moonroof with no leaks. All the electrical functions properly.
It even has a pretty new Kenwood stereo professionally installed with bluetooth and hands free phone function on it.

The best part is I got it for about $2500.00. I love craigslist. I've already driven it more in the 2 weeks I've had it, than I did the CJ in the 2 years I owned it. Hopefully, it will be a fun thing to have. I'm sure I will do some sort of build with it and will post it up here when it happens.

I wish I could have finished the CJ-5, and I'm sorry to those who were following this. That's life sometimes.

For now, I'll just live vicariously through WJSTUDIOS 85 CJ-8 Scrambler build. That thing is awesome!

I’m sorry, that’s a terrible turn of events. The most important thing is the security of your family, Jeeps will come and go. I’m glad she’s got a new job and all that stress is behind you. And still having a Jeep to take out is a little blessing on it own. But it sounds like the Jeep’s found a good home! Hopefully someday you’ll get another CJ build going and once it’s done, I’ll drag the scrambler out there and we’ll go wheeling!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

JKbrick

Glad to hear your wife is working again, and some of the stress is gone. Congrats on putting your wife first before a Jeep, I’d sell mine in a second if I needed to for my family. Family first man

Ddays

Hooked
Bummer man. At least you were able to put the CJ to good use in another way. I'm sure something else will eventually come along, it always seems to in the end.

Top Bottom