CJ5 vs CJ7

GraniteCrystal

I was checking the Denver area looking for ~$3k ones that may be candidates for you and may have found one for myself. It's closer to $8k though. I've been texting with him and hoping to get some pics tonight or tomorrow.
You looking at that black one with a 3" lift? He said his offers have been high 6 low 7 range. Awesome looking Jeep

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
I'm a 5 guy but when it comes time to buy another cj it's going to be 7. I think probably an 86' just for the 44 rear ended and Dana 300 transfer case. I've had 304's in my cj5's and a 258 in my cj7. I think I would do the straight six again over the V8. Just my 2 cents tho.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Got a very promising lead on a CJ7 that looks to be in fantastic shape. All stock. Everything working. No visible rust in the pics he sent. I think I could get it for around 4k.

New problem: wife worried about safety.

Who said anything about safety?!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
^ no build thread yet... I was just inquiring about the CJ about a month ago in this sub-forum. I've also expanded my search fully expecting I may have to fly out and drive home if I find the RIGHT Jeep. Every time I search, I make sure to look in the SE US. For whatever reason they seem to be less expensive down there. There's a couple I've been really eager to see but the owners have been hit or miss trying to maintain contact.

Beware of rust, in the southeast,

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

The full tub route looks expensive, but if you got one for the right price, it would be a good option. I've been keeping my eye on this sort of thing, too.

GraniteCrystal

The full tub route looks expensive, but if you got one for the right price, it would be a good option. I've been keeping my eye on this sort of thing, too.

Yeah, seems like I could break even IF I did all the work of replacing the tub myself. Otherwise seems better to just wait and try to find one without rust for a good price.

notnalc68

Yeah, seems like I could break even IF I did all the work of replacing the tub myself. Otherwise seems better to just wait and try to find one without rust for a good price.

That's the best route, I'd say, but as Calamity Jane showed, there could be hidden surprises. I think it's cool that you can get all the parts you can on one, so easily. Personally, I'd rather have one with a blown motor and no significant rust, than the other way around.

notnalc68

You guys chime in, if I'm wrong. How reliable is the AMC 304? Aside from shitty gas mileage, is that why so many CJs have Small Block Chevy's? I know a guy that breaks down, just about every time he drives his CJ7. It has a 304 and manual transmission.

WSDOG

I think as you describe a 7 is a better fit. Also a rust free example is not impossible to find you just need to be patient and use Search tempest to target Western States. Heck in my area there are a number of good looking clean 7's there now. I'm still looking for the perfect CJ6

Top Bottom