Clara - The little Jeep that could!

DemCoconuts

I went to work with a hard top, and came home without one... driving highway speeds at only 6C is rather uncomfortable! So I broke out the soft top kit! Worked into the dark. Just needs a little stretch and she'll be buttoned up!

Attachments

• 1457148406485.jpg
    1457148406485.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 1457148503102.jpg
    1457148503102.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 155

Napalm

I went to work with a hard top, and came home without one... driving highway speeds at only 6C is rather uncomfortable! So I broke out the soft top kit! Worked into the dark. Just needs a little stretch and she'll be buttoned up!

I bet that was a cold drive and I bet that was a tough install of the Trektop in such cold weather!

But, It was worth it and looks good :)

DemCoconuts

I bet that was a cold drive and I bet that was a tough install of the Trektop in such cold weather!

But, It was worth it and looks good :)

It was a bit of a pain. She loosened up today in the sun though, no regrets! This top is awesome, I'm completely sold on it! You were right. A little louder that the hard top, but after my trip to the range today I'm use to it.

Only real issue I have found post install is one zipper that had a couple teeth separate while I was assembling it last night. Nothing major, just gonna give it another day or two to settle in, then reseat it!

As for the range day, started a little disappointing weather wise, then the skies cleared right up! And of course the rain/snow was headed as soon as we started to leave.

Attachments

• 1457235504209.jpg
    1457235504209.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 145
  • 1457235518060.jpg
    1457235518060.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 145

Napalm

It was a bit of a pain. She loosened up today in the sun though, no regrets! This top is awesome, I'm completely sold on it! You were right. A little louder that the hard top, but after my trip to the range today I'm use to it.

Only real issue I have found post install is one zipper that had a couple teeth separate while I was assembling it last night. Nothing major, just gonna give it another day or two to settle in, then reseat it!

As for the range day, started a little disappointing weather wise, then the skies cleared right up! And of course the rain/snow was headed as soon as we started to leave.

Yeah you get used to the noise after awhile. I never noticed, but my wife always did! Looks good though.

DemCoconuts

Installed my new Bestop lock box under the driver seat yesterday. Super simple install. Couple of bolts and she's in. I'll be the first to admit that this will still only keep the honest people honest, but it is a little extra security. Pictures tomorrow if I remember.

Tomorrow's project - the rear security enclosure! Borrowed a jigsaw, and picked up some accessories I will require. Might have forgot paint though! Jeez. More as I make progress.

Eezybreezy08

I've been thinking about getting them lock boxes for the wife and my jeep. But I'm a little nervous about it if you don't think they are secure enough

DemCoconuts

I've been thinking about getting them lock boxes for the wife and my jeep. But I'm a little nervous about it if you don't think they are secure enough

Compared to the plastic console and glove box, it is much more secure. I have my insurance/registration, in it, and I know that there are a lot of guys in the States that lock their carry pistols in it.

When I say it will only keep the honest people honest, I simply mean that in all reality if someone, who has access to tools and the knowledge, wants anything from your Jeep, they're gonna take it (whether is be a bumper, seat, lock box, or the whole Jeep).

So far, from my week of having it, I would recommend this box. Fits nice under the seat, and if you keep your seat more forward like I do, then it's pretty much out of sight. Initial impressions leave me feeling that the construction is hefty enough to be a good deterrent to simple thieves. Only time will tell of course, but I've yet to hear anyone say they were disappointed with their security!

DemCoconuts

Started in on my rear enclosure. Originally I wanted to weld a steel plate to the top and be done with it, but then I remembered that I had a whack of 3/4" MDF I snagged a few years back. Bingo! Cheaper option (at a cost of free!), so why not. This isn't meant to be waterproof, as the Trektop can be used without issue.

Top pieces are cut and ready to be bolted in. Time to measure for the front pieces. I will reinforce the center of the deck, likely with a simple 2x4 frame, so that I can place things on the deck.

And don't worry, it'll be painted black before final install. I may carpet it in the long run, Donno yet.

Attachments

• 1457914866855.jpg
    1457914866855.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 1457914882670.jpg
    1457914882670.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 107

Napalm

Started in on my rear enclosure. Originally I wanted to weld a steel plate to the top and be done with it, but then I remembered that I had a whack of 3/4" MDF I snagged a few years back. Bingo! Cheaper option (at a cost of free!), so why not. This isn't meant to be waterproof, as the Trektop can be used without issue.

Top pieces are cut and ready to be bolted in. Time to measure for the front pieces. I will reinforce the center of the deck, likely with a simple 2x4 frame, so that I can place things on the deck.

And don't worry, it'll be painted black before final install. I may carpet it in the long run, Donno yet.

Nice. I am wanting to do this too.. Just a little bit lower into the tub. Looks good!

DemCoconuts

Nice. I am wanting to do this too.. Just a little bit lower into the tub. Looks good!

Thanks!

I've seen the shelf that Sharky and a few other made for their JKU's in their build threads. Neat idea, but not enough room for what I like to pack (I like the Jeep to be loaded with my camping equipment so I can leave for a weekend immediately after work, no fooling around).

Got all the pieces mocked up and in their spots. Pretty sturdy, especially without being bolted down yet. More than enough room behind the seats for quick access trail snacks!

Only had to do a couple odd trimmings. Go figure, none of it was square when work was tossing it! Haha.

Tomorrow should be the final install, with paint and brackets/bolts.

Attachments

• 1457919757500.jpg
    1457919757500.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 1457919769909.jpg
    1457919769909.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 1457919780641.jpg
    1457919780641.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 1457919795200.jpg
    1457919795200.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 100

Eezybreezy08

Compared to the plastic console and glove box, it is much more secure. I have my insurance/registration, in it, and I know that there are a lot of guys in the States that lock their carry pistols in it.

When I say it will only keep the honest people honest, I simply mean that in all reality if someone, who has access to tools and the knowledge, wants anything from your Jeep, they're gonna take it (whether is be a bumper, seat, lock box, or the whole Jeep).

So far, from my week of having it, I would recommend this box. Fits nice under the seat, and if you keep your seat more forward like I do, then it's pretty much out of sight. Initial impressions leave me feeling that the construction is hefty enough to be a good deterrent to simple thieves. Only time will tell of course, but I've yet to hear anyone say they were disappointed with their security!

Roger that. Well I will take your word and I will give it a try. I was looking for them for the carry pistols myself. And I completely understand the out of sight out of mind. Maybe I will make sure to keep the seat slid to the front when I get out. Plus I never leave my jeeps locked. I figure if someone things everything is left unsecured and open, maybe they won't take that much time to actually snoop around in there.

DemCoconuts

Roger that. Well I will take your word and I will give it a try. I was looking for them for the carry pistols myself. And I completely understand the out of sight out of mind. Maybe I will make sure to keep the seat slid to the front when I get out. Plus I never leave my jeeps locked. I figure if someone things everything is left unsecured and open, maybe they won't take that much time to actually snoop around in there.

Here are some pictures for you. The attachment points are the 2 bolts at the front. There is a small loop in the rear support that I am going to run a chain through (run it around the seat brackets or something so it's a little more complex to take).

These photos are with the seat pushed back.

Attachments

• 1457921418749.jpg
    1457921418749.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 1457921428696.jpg
    1457921428696.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 1457921436930.jpg
    1457921436930.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 1457921445393.jpg
    1457921445393.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 104

DemCoconuts

And this photo is with the seat in my normal driving position. I should note, that while I'm roughly 6 foot, I do tend to sit closer to the wheel than most.

Attachments

• 1457921504734.jpg
    1457921504734.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 118

Eezybreezy08

And this photo is with the seat in my normal driving position. I should note, that while I'm roughly 6 foot, I do tend to sit closer to the wheel than most.

Thanks for the pics. That's sums it up great for me. And like you said, it hides good. Most people when you leave things wide open, won't take the time to look for a hiding place like that. So I definitely like it. I appreciate your help and the detailed pictures. Gives me a real good idea of what to expect

DemCoconuts

So I've had this whine for the last week and a half (since my last wheeling adventure). Started on the trip, sounded like a pulley, so didn't think nothing of it.

Popped the hood today to check which pulley and a found a "little" friend haha. I shall miss my "turbo whine"!

The belt is fine, but I have another on order as a spare. No other damage. This will officially be the beginning of my spare part collection!

Attachments

• 1458184557378.jpg
    1458184557378.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 1458184569638.jpg
    1458184569638.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 1458184579505.jpg
    1458184579505.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 86

CCJKUR

So I've had this whine for the last week and a half (since my last wheeling adventure). Started on the trip, sounded like a pulley, so didn't think nothing of it.

Popped the hood today to check which pulley and a found a "little" friend haha. I shall miss my "turbo whine"!

The belt is fine, but I have another on order as a spare. No other damage. This will officially be the beginning of my spare part collection!

WOW you got lucky as hell there!!!

Top Bottom