Clean up wiring

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You do realize of course your going to be pushing 12v and whatever amps through wires designed to carry computer information packets.... I bet if you did some research you'd find that none and I mean zero wiring in a jeep that's less than 18 gauge... Cat 6 cable is normally 22 gauge... Seriously man you gotta change that out.

There is a reason why we all use 16-12 gauge wiring. Did you take into consideration the load on the wire? Did you do the math?

A 30 amp automotive relay has a trigger current of 100-170 mA. I plan to put a 3.5 amp fuse in line on the 12 volt side of the switches. I'm sure to do some more research before I hook everything up. I do understand your concern and appreciate it. Since you're knowledgable with computer networking, what is the current draw of data over a Cat6 cable?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Everything is 14 gauge aside from the ground wire which is 16 gauge. Places I've looked and researched (because I was skeptical of using the Cat6 also) say that a 12 volt 30 amp automotive relay can use a 22-24 gauge wire since the relay is carrying the load, the 22-24 gauge wire is only triggering/activating the relay. The trigger wire only has to supply at least 100-170 mA to the relay. Again...only information I've read.

A 30 amp automotive relay has a trigger current of 100-170 mA. I plan to put a 3.5 amp fuse in line on the 12 volt side of the switches. I'm sure to do some more research before I hook everything up. I do understand your concern and appreciate it. Since you're knowledgable with computer networking, what is the current draw of data over a Cat6 cable?

Bonjour! I'm that french model that you read about....:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Seriously, CAT6 wire just does not make scents:eek:

pvanweelden

I will agree that the current flow thru the Trigger wires is less than 1 amp, but that is no reason to get cheap- minimum 18 ga!!!!!
Now let's talk temperature rating..... you need to use automotive wiring when under the hood... that cat 6 will burn just from being under the hood. Bonjour

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I will agree that the current flow thru the Trigger wires is less than 1 amp, but that is no reason to get cheap- minimum 18 ga!!!!!
Now let's talk temperature rating..... you need to use automotive wiring when under the hood... that cat 6 will burn just from being under the hood. Bonjour

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, I wish I would have thought this through before proceeding to epoxy the terminals into the box. Had to epoxy them since aftermarket spades were used otherwise the terminals would push out the back when the relays were installed. I guess for peace of mind I'll figure out a way to remove the epoxy to install larger wires. The convenience of using the Cat6 is that it's a group of wires running to the switches instead of 7 individual wires. I'm gonna run by NAPA after work and see if I can get 7 wire trailer wire pre-made in sheathing. I know they make 5-wire, not sure about 7-wire.

Rebel JK

You can pre bundle your individual wires together before routing them from point a to b for with tie wraps. Just label both ends as you go. Unless you can find the right # of wires pre done.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You can pre bundle your individual wires together before routing them from point a to b for with tie wraps. Just label both ends as you go. Unless you can find the right # of wires pre done.

I found some 7-wire preassembled trailer wire with 6-14 gauge wires and 1-12 gauge wire, should work.

pvanweelden

^ nice! :thumb: good luck with the epoxy.

Fyi- cat 6 is rated at 140 degrees. it gets a little bit hotter than that under the hood ;)

JayKay

Caught the Bug
^ nice! :thumb: good luck with the epoxy.

Fyi- cat 6 is rated at 140 degrees. it gets a little bit hotter than that under the hood ;)

Oh I know it'll be hotter than 140 under the hood, I just never bothered to look up the temp rating of the Cat cable. Believe it or not, I used a CRC product called Freeze Off, sprayed it on the epoxy, within five seconds it popped loose :rock: I'll update as soon as I get it rewired

If you want to bundle your wires together use this trick:

Put them in the end of a drill, tie-wrap them down tight and while holding them pulled tight.... pull the trigger... instant braided wires. Then get some braided covering and its looks like factory.. or better.

D9510D46-D869-4B8C-9187-86334FD2A7EE_zpsvc8dzzil.jpg
70AD7CFF-CD4E-4B06-B6E0-4EBE097D7DF7_zpsbqbowbwr.jpg
E47824E8-0CD3-4EE7-8F79-FA2667BE5309_zpsfibh5hit.jpg
F2B26327-59F1-4740-87EA-BF1D66048DBC_zpswwioruij.jpg
65B37E37-81D8-40BD-BD93-BE1B6903F167_zpsmuekf8pa.jpg
1B7718D2-F661-49B6-879B-B1D7C77AFC1D_zpsn1m9cr3b.jpg
744E0109-E134-47C4-A7A2-D5469045662E_zpswkbhjurd.jpg

JayKay

Caught the Bug

Put them in the end of a drill, tie-wrap them down tight and while holding them pulled tight.... pull the trigger... instant braided wires. Then get some braided covering and its looks like factory.. or better.

View attachment 103248
View attachment 103249
View attachment 103250
View attachment 103254
View attachment 103251
View attachment 103252
View attachment 103253

I've used the drill technique before on other projects. Your setup looks really clean. I think I'm just gonna go with the trailer wiring due to the fact that I won't have to buy multiple colors of wire. I think it'd be the less expensive choice

Rebel JK

View attachment 103248
View attachment 103249
View attachment 103250
View attachment 103254
View attachment 103251
View attachment 103252
View attachment 103253

That looks pretty sweet! Will definitely use that.

TheNoob

View attachment 103248
View attachment 103249
View attachment 103250
View attachment 103254
View attachment 103251
View attachment 103252
View attachment 103253

Holy smokes that is a beautiful set up. Will try and do this when I add more wiring into mine. Nice job.:thumb:

JKWrang

Yea, dark knight1999 is an electrical genius. For real

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

steve_r2

dark knight1999
Do you fancy popping over to Dubai to sort mine for me ?
Beer and BBQ provided and extra hands... ;)

lol thanks guys! I'll be building another setup like this for my wife's new Willy's over the next week or so. I'll be documenting that build more than my own. However it will look just like this, only better.

I'll be starting a new thread just for that. Stay tuned :D

TheNoob

lol thanks guys! I'll be building another setup like this for my wife's new Willy's over the next week or so. I'll be documenting that build more than my own. However it will look just like this, only better.

I'll be starting a new thread just for that. Stay tuned :D

Definitely looking forward to it. Hopefully it's super detailed do I can give it a go. If you can add where you source the parts, that'd be great.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412821315.377319.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412821329.393279.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412821338.845932.jpg
Update: Finally got my fuse/relay box rewired with jacketed trailer wire. 7 wires in the jacket, so it worked out perfect, 6-14 gauge, 1-12 gauge. I will post more picks when it's installed in the next couple of weeks. :thumb:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Anyone know of places to run wiring through the firewall on a JK. I know about the ones up top that come through to under the cowl, but are there any down lower that come directly into the engine bay? I know that you can use the hole that the clutch linkage goes through on a manual if you have an auto.

Top Bottom