Cleaning out differential

Bwdesignworks

Wasn't to bad

So I tackled this today and everything looks good. I started on the front and of course this one took the longest for me. The part that took so long was trying to pry the cover off. Ended up using a putty knife to break the seal then everything was easy after that. Scraping took a little bit as expected but not too bad. Good news is that there was no metal shavings or cracks in there. buttoned it all back up and now I can try them out on the trails. Thanks for all of the suggestions and direction! :thumb:

IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
Front diff cover off.
IMG_0571.JPG
Front diff after cleaning.
IMG_0575.JPG
Rear diff after cleaning.

WJCO

Meme King
So I tackled this today and everything looks good. I started on the front and of course this one took the longest for me. The part that took so long was trying to pry the cover off. Ended up using a putty knife to break the seal then everything was easy after that. Scraping took a little bit as expected but not too bad. Good news is that there was no metal shavings or cracks in there. buttoned it all back up and now I can try them out on the trails. Thanks for all of the suggestions and direction! :thumb:

Glad to hear you did it yourself. If you decide to do this again, get a dead blow hammer and beat the cover off. It works a ton faster. Prying off takes way too much work.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Glad to hear you did it yourself. If you decide to do this again, get a dead blow hammer and beat the cover off. It works a ton faster. Prying off takes way too much work.
This. A Harbor Freight dead blow hammer works wonders.

Nice job tackling it yourself!!

Bwdesignworks

This. A Harbor Freight dead blow hammer works wonders.

Nice job tackling it yourself!!

Thanks! Always a good feeling to get it done yourself. Was going to try a hammer but was afraid that I would crack the cover and then be in a world of hurt. I do a little woodworking and was going to make a wooden mallet but just opted for the putty knife. Will definitely head out and get me a dead blow hammer.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Got mine at Lowes for $20, was going to do the pry method, heard about the hammer being easier/quicker and ran out to pick one up..

Harbor Freight ones are more like $10-$12 and can take (and give) a beating. Obviously either one would work fine though. Just used mine last night to fix a leak on my rear differential.

BlackKnight

Harbor Freight ones are more like $10-$12 and can take (and give) a beating. Obviously either one would work fine though. Just used mine last night to fix a leak on my rear differential.

Would have normally gone with the HF one, but convince dictated Lowes. My closest HF is 30-45 minutes away, Lowes was 10...

Top Bottom