Clicking and grinding noise at front end.

CSINEV

That's a great write up I'm defiantly going to use it thanks. Shopping for part now. Thanks

CSINEV

Well.... I replaced the wheel hub assembly and that went fast and very well. The write up the you gave me was awesome. How ever, it didn't fix the problem.:banghead::banghead: I was reading and someone said maybe the u-joints at the wheel are the problem. Thoughts

jeeeep

Hooked
did you check both hubs?

if it's shaft u-joints you can check those at the same time with the wheels off, look for missing u-joint clips, caps that look oblong, moving them up/down, side/side will also show any deflection in the joint.
I'd check the u-joint on the side where you replaced the hub.

Also check the brake dust shield, whose get out of shape easily and will rub

Last edited:

CSINEV

Need help, trying to pull u joint out to have them replaced. Trying to pull axel shaft out without ruining seals. How much force is necessary? Is not coming out easily. Is there something else that needs to be disconnected?

CSINEV

Got it! Finally, used a C-clamp and a piece of wood to pull it loose. The U-joints look ok to me, sure hope this fixes the noise. I pulled the diff cover just to look inside and see if everything use ok and it looked great in there clean and good looking gears, no metal shavings and no ware at all.

jeeeep

Hooked
Got it! Finally, used a C-clamp and a piece of wood to pull it loose. The U-joints look ok to me, sure hope this fixes the noise. I pulled the diff cover just to look inside and see if everything use ok and it looked great in there clean and good looking gears, no metal shavings and no ware at all.

u-joints can look good, but a missing or flattened needle will cause issues.

you checked both hub bearings? and also spun the rear wheels to make sure it's not coming from there?

Also make sure your brake dust shields are not rubbing - usually this will make noise when turning but something else to check.

CSINEV

Update, replacing the U-joint at the wheel did NOT fix the problem.:shock::shock::shock:
So after I ranted and raved for fifteen minutes and my trusty beer assistant came to my rescue. :beer::beer:
I had my two teenage kids jog along either side of the jeep while driving in forward and reverse.:pointing::pointing::pointing:
We wer able to pinpoint it to the rear of the jeep.:doh::doh:
Should've thought of the kid idea before, best idea yet. Amazing what beer does for ideas:clap2:
Got the rear up on jack stand and put it in gear forward and reverse. And I could hear the sound coming from the rear drive shat near the differential.
I put my ear on the rear transfer case as is was in gear and no noise, listened by the drive shaft and noise every time.
Bummer.:bummed::bummed::bummed:
Can we say goodbye $375.00

jeeeep

Hooked
Update, replacing the U-joint at the wheel did NOT fix the problem.:shock::shock::shock:
So after I ranted and raved for fifteen minutes and my trusty beer assistant came to my rescue. :beer::beer:
I had my two teenage kids jog along either side of the jeep while driving in forward and reverse.:pointing::pointing::pointing:
We wer able to pinpoint it to the rear of the jeep.:doh::doh:
Should've thought of the kid idea before, best idea yet. Amazing what beer does for ideas:clap2:
Got the rear up on jack stand and put it in gear forward and reverse. And I could hear the sound coming from the rear drive shat near the differential.
I put my ear on the rear transfer case as is was in gear and no noise, listened by the drive shaft and noise every time.
Bummer.:bummed::bummed::bummed:
Can we say goodbye $375.00

well at least you found the source! before you spend any money, remove the DS and spin the wheels, make sure it's not something else :beer:

CSINEV

Went to Adam's Driveshaft this morning and they confirmed it was the rear driveshaft. So on Monday the will be installing a Brand New Rear Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon 1350 Heavy Duty CV Driveshaft with Spicer Solid U-joints made by Adams Driveshaft. For $ 509.00 there goes my rear bumper money. :crybaby:

dicklkh

I am having the exact same issue!

When I start up my icy mountain street I am fine until I put it in 4x4, and then BAM, the worst grinding noise ever. Doesn't go away after putting it back in 2 wheel. Just grinds and grinds until everything warms up. So I guess I will learn from you! Hope I get it fixed quickly....

WJCO

Meme King
When I start up my icy mountain street I am fine until I put it in 4x4, and then BAM, the worst grinding noise ever. Doesn't go away after putting it back in 2 wheel. Just grinds and grinds until everything warms up. So I guess I will learn from you! Hope I get it fixed quickly....

Sounds like something in tcase. Check fluid level and check for metal chunks in fluid.

Top Bottom