Clunk in my Trunk

Prime8

Sharkey said:
Check to see if the bolts on your swaybar end links are making contact with whatever bumpstop extensions (assuming you are running them) you have on the rear axle perch. I have seen and heard a similar "thunk" on a buddy's Jeep and this is what it turned out to be.

I'll check that today when swapping LCAs. LCAs should be swapped one at a time while the vehicle is on the ground, or at least not fully tightened until on the ground, to avoid preloading, right?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Prime8 said:
I'll check that today when swapping LCAs. LCAs should be swapped one at a time while the vehicle is on the ground, or at least not fully tightened until on the ground, to avoid preloading, right?

You can put them all on, just don't torque to spec until the Jeep is on level ground under full weight. I jump up and down on the bumpers and rock the Jeep side to side first too.

Prime8

Sharkey said:
You can put them all on, just don't torque to spec until the Jeep is on level ground under full weight. I jump up and down on the bumpers and rock the Jeep side to side first too.

Ok, good to know. Thanks for your help Sharkey.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Do you have a Tuffy concealed carry drawer? I had a clunk that sounded like it was coming from the rear end but it turned out to be the Tuffy concealed carry drawer. I didn't install the rear screw to the tub and the back end would clunk on bumps. Small piece of wood wedged in there took care of it.

Good luck!

Prime8

MTG said:
Do you have a Tuffy concealed carry drawer? I had a clunk that sounded like it was coming from the rear end but it turned out to be the Tuffy concealed carry drawer. I didn't install the rear screw to the tub and the back end would clunk on bumps. Small piece of wood wedged in there took care of it.

Good luck!

Nope. Carry my guns around attached to my shoulders! Haha. They aren't even registered!

Prime8

Sharkey said:

Do you happen to know the torque spec, by chance?

Prime8

MTG said:
I believe the control arms are 125 but if you look at project-jk they are all listed.

Yeah, I've got that list printed out, out in my garage. Just thought you might know it off the top of your head.

Prime8

SOLUTION!!! I hope...

So as I was crawling around underneath my jeep putting on my new rear LCAs, I was shaking EVERYTHING and looking for any signs of rubbing or banging parts. As a last ditch effort, I started hitting various parts with the side of my fist, to better recreate the impact of bumps on the road... The last thing I was planning to check, the trailer hitch, was a winner! Well, not so much the hitch itself, but the hard plastic bumper cover above it. Seems there is just enough of a gap between the hitch and the plastic cover that it 'clunks' when I hit bumps. It would also explain why the noise would worsen in the afternoons, as the plastic sat in the sun and expanded all day, further reducing the gap so that even smaller bumps would cause the noise. So, I cut out a 2"x2" slice of that 'ergonomic' foam, (the kind of stuff they are putting on floor mats that molds to your feet) and wedged that in the gap while pulling upwards on the bumper cover. Seems to have solved the problem, but I haven't driven it yet.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Prime8

Sharkey said:
Wow...good find! Who would have thunk that could be your clunk in the trunk?

I'm just glad it wasn't voll in my hole... And it surely wasn't a lox in a box.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Prime8 said:
I'm just glad it wasn't voll in my hole... And it surely wasn't a lox in a box.

Glad you didn't hesitate, prime eight
To find the clunk in your trunk
Hopefully no more clank in your tank
Or bub in your tub
Here's to next week, being without a squeak!

Top Bottom