Clutch replacement

dannymalkin

For those that run manuals, and newer then 2012, you know there is a large open gap between the 3.6 and the transmission. Chrysler says it's for venting the clutch or allowing moisture and water to run out. Well, while digging into a hole, I filled the bell housing up with mud and a ton of crap through this "gap". I blew out my slave cylinder which puked all my brake fluid all over my already muddy clutch. I have replaced the slave cylinder and I used the cleaners in the shop to clean the clutch the best I could. It's actually all but back to normal. And it does not slip 98% of the time.... just every once in a while under a hard accel. So I may be good for a while. But in my searching before all this was clear to me, I just could find another one aftermarket. And I have been a jeeper for years, and a firm believer that you do not replace OEM with OEM. You upgrade. Lol. Hence why I was looking for an upgrade. If that makes sense. I will probably still need one,

But like I said, it's holding up for now.... just need to stay out of the deep holes for a while and hope someone makes a decent, affordable replacement clutch for it soon! Lmao

Did you use the clutch while it was submerged? If so that was the reason...

junior3382

I saw the clutch when I took it apart to replace the slave cylinder... and the fly wheel... and the walls of the bell housing. All muddy. I even removed a few twigs that worked their way up there. Mud gets everywhere. It's worse then cancer for most components. I had to rebuild my parking brake as well, replace a fog light bulb, replace the driver's side head light socket and clean my diffs. But believe me, it was lesson well learned....

Attachments

• 1419139380752.jpg
    1419139380752.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 47

junior3382

But like I said, I cleaned everything out, including the diffs. And re routed my vents. And changed my game plan for the build. It will be a long time before I sink him in a hole like that again. Lmao

Attachments

• 1419139500845.jpg
    1419139500845.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 46

junior3382

Did you use the clutch while it was submerged? If so that was the reason...

I did use it, I released it so I could keep the motor running while I waited for aid, and tried both reverse and first a few times until he started to move again....

But what are you saying? If I submerge it again, do not use the clutch?

dannymalkin

I did use it, I released it so I could keep the motor running while I waited for aid, and tried both reverse and first a few times until he started to move again....

But what are you saying? If I submerge it again, do not use the clutch?

Sorry if I sounded like an ass the way I said it.

But if you are going through a mud hole and press the clutch, it then allows water (only damaging sometimes) and mud (very damaging as you know) to enter the transmission.

If you have it in 4 low you can start the engine without pressing the clutch allowing you to change gears as well. Or in some instances, I would just get pulled out instead of trying too hard and make it worse.

Hope this helps you, it definitely has helped me with my manual.

junior3382

Sorry if I sounded like an ass the way I said it.

But if you are going through a mud hole and press the clutch, it then allows water (only damaging sometimes) and mud (very damaging as you know) to enter the transmission.

If you have it in 4 low you can start the engine without pressing the clutch allowing you to change gears as well. Or in some instances, I would just get pulled out instead of trying too hard and make it worse.

Hope this helps you, it definitely has helped me with my manual.

See, I did not know this. I was also not aware that when in 4 lo I can start without the clutch engaged? Is this true? I may have to try it....

Now since I did utilize it a lot in that hole, is it possible that I got mud actually inside my transmission? Cause that's thus far the only fluid I have not checked or changed as it needs a special tool that I do not yet have.... it's my DD, and has had more then a few thousand miles on it since this trip...

dannymalkin

See, I did not know this. I was also not aware that when in 4 lo I can start without the clutch engaged? Is this true? I may have to try it....

Now since I did utilize it a lot in that hole, is it possible that I got mud actually inside my transmission? Cause that's thus far the only fluid I have not checked or changed as it needs a special tool that I do not yet have.... it's my DD, and has had more then a few thousand miles on it since this trip...

This is where my knowledge starts to get blurry, but I think the transmission fluid would be fine it would just get in the bell housing.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Top Bottom