Coax length

chipper

I doubt it's the coax. Only time I've seen one go bad was at the ends. Where the connections are at. Make sure you have that plastic washer at the antenna mount on the stud on the top half. Try to set your SWR's again.

KalebD

I doubt it's the coax. Only time I've seen one go bad was at the ends. Where the connections are at. Make sure you have that plastic washer at the antenna mount on the stud on the top half. Try to set your SWR's again.

I made sure the plastic washer was on top and I checked to make sure the little plastic ring around the threads on the bottom was good! The radio has a built in swr but not sure how to use it!

KalebD

When I set it to calibrate and turn the knob to adjust it nothing happens

chipper

I'm not that familiar with the cobra 29. Maybe someone else can chime in and help. I've always used a swr meter. You put it on Chanel 1 and check. Then Chanel 40. And then adjust your antenna till it's as low as possible.

KalebD

I'm not that familiar with the cobra 29. Maybe someone else can chime in and help. I've always used a swr meter. You put it on Chanel 1 and check. Then Chanel 40. And then adjust your antenna till it's as low as possible.

I've seen it done with a regular meter and they actually checked my antenna at the cb shop when I bought this radio but I may have messed it up fooling around with the radio trying to figure it out

Matymaty

I ran an 18' cable from the Tuffy Console and came up short. Had to buy a 5' extension to make sure the connectors were hidden. I ran mine down the center and across the passenger side to the back.

Running across and down the rollbar makes sense why it would use less. I liked tying it down to the other wires. Cleaner and safer!?!?!

When I wire my wife's I will order the 25' cable and roll the extra into the back door.

KalebD

I ran an 18' cable from the Tuffy Console and came up short. Had to buy a 5' extension to make sure the connectors were hidden. I ran mine down the center and across the passenger side to the back.

Running across and down the rollbar makes sense why it would use less. I liked tying it down to the other wires. Cleaner and safer!?!?!

When I wire my wife's I will order the 25' cable and roll the extra into the back door.

After I ran mine through the roll bar like these guys suggested I ended up being able to reach with the 18' and I was happy with how it turned out! Can't see the wires anywhere! Just with my luck you go from one problem to the next lol

IceColdJK

I've been told by the CB shop in my town to use a 21' coax. Something about it matches up better for the SWR's. I also use a 21' in my semi-truck at work. Just roll up the extra in a loop.

Chipper as a semi driver, what radio do you recommend? Are there radios that reach out a little further or clearer than others? or is that an antenna issue. I have a Cobra 19DX currently.

I've been told by the CB shop in my town to use a 21' coax. Something about it matches up better for the SWR's. I also use a 21' in my semi-truck at work. Just roll up the extra in a loop.

Ya you want to keep your cable divisible by 3. The theory is the cb band wave length is 36' so by keeping it multiples of 3 you will have a better tune. That's why most are 9', 15', 18', etc. it helps with tuning and SWR. There is another thought on tuning which brings in velocity factor and the voltage point. This states that the correct length of coax should be 11' 9". To me it all hoopla when it gets down to it. We have more issues with trees, mountains and crap than and extra .1 SWR will change.

How did you run your cable? I ran mine from behind my glove box to my tailgate and have 2ft extra with an 18' cable. 25' is a ton of cable lol.

Last edited:

hydrohut

When you set it to calibrate and turn the knob you also need to be holding the mike key down. While doing that, adjust the needle (by turning the knob) so it moves over to the right edge of the dial (calibrate side) Let go of the mike key then set the switch to SWR and key down the mike again. The reading you get then is your SWR. Hope that is understandable for you.

DMF

I have a JKU and bought the 18' coax cable and tried running it from above my rear view mirror down the A-pillar and along the door sills and did not have enough cable. I had to rerouted the cables through my roll cage leaving me with more than a foot of cable.

Oops sorry I'm a day late on this. I also have a Cobra 29. If you have a '14 model it's going to be a tight fit over the rear view mirror.

Last edited:

chipper

Chipper as a semi driver, what radio do you recommend? Are there radios that reach out a little further or clearer than others? or is that an antenna issue. I have a Cobra 19DX currently.

I personally am running an old school Galaxy 33 in my semi. If it ever goes out I'll most likely get a Connex 33. Now these radios have all the bells and whistles and the ability to be peaked and tuned higher. They are $300+ also. I see lots of Cobra 29 out on the road because it's a great radio and affordable.
Coax, antenna and good SWR's is the key. You have that correct and you'll be good no matter what radio you have. And if want it to "sound better" put a noise canceling mic on it like a RK 56.
I had a uniden 520 that was peaked to 5 or 6 watts. Put a roadking 56 mic on it. Had it matched great with the SWR's, and people thought I was talking on a $300 radio. That thing was on fire!!! Wish I still had it.
In my jeep, I'm looking for a smaller radio, like the 520 I had before. Also like the Bearcat 980.

Last edited:
Top Bottom