Cobra 75WXST CB Installation

Bunz-o-fun

I used an 18' coax. Not much excess left after I routed it the way I did. If you have a 2 door you may want to go a little shorter though.

Thanks for the write up Infidel! This is on the short list of things-to-do.
Is the external speaker a must, or could you get away with the handheld volume by itself?
Appreciate it!

Gerthree

I have one of those cb's and found that the volume on the handset is loud enough for me. I am using the versamount also, which kind of points the handset in the drivers direction. I usually don't have the volume up too loud on the stereo when I'm wheeling since I'm trying to hear the spotter or what somebody is saying on the other end of the CB. I suppose you could just get the CB and try it by itself and see if you think it's loud enough. If not, then order the speaker separate. If you install the same way as shown here, access to the aux port on the radio will be relatively easy. Just my .02.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I have the same setup, routed the wiring and antenna cable a little different but it was quick and easy. I don't have the ext. speaker, I do like the simplicity and how little space it uses.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the write up Infidel! This is on the short list of things-to-do.
Is the external speaker a must, or could you get away with the handheld volume by itself?
Appreciate it!

In my opinion it depends on how your rig is set up. If you have a hard top and doors on all the time, I don't feel an external speaker is needed at all, as the handset volume is adequate. For me, I roll with the top down and doors off every chance I get. The handset volume quickly drowns out with all the external noise.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
How's the long term with the CB?? I have been eye balling it since it's so compact...

No issues for me. It went with the Jeep when I got rid of it, but I will get the same one for my new rig. Worked just as well as the day I hooked it up. The thing that sold me the most about it was that it was so compact and did not clutter up any space. They only thing I will do differently is this time around, I'll get an externally tunable fire stick.

whytiptoe

How's the long term with the CB?? I have been eye balling it since it's so compact...

I've only had mine for about four months and I have overheating issues. I believe it was a fault from the beginning and I need to get it replaced.

Not sure about anyone one else but also the unit is susceptible to electro interference really easy. Grounding the power box has helped but I still have issues and reception issues. I've already tuned my system as well.

Very thorough write up. I have the same and ran the power and ground exactly as you did. I have my antenna mount on my front passenger hood though. I don't have an external speaker yet, but the sound has been good enough for me. I love how compact and out of the way this unit is!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468169578.213205.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468169647.026699.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Got mine installed, using this write up, as a guide. I found a rubber isolator for the hole the power cable fits through, under the hood. I added an external speaker, and used the mic mount I found on Amazon. I used an SWR meter, and grounded the 3' Fire Stik to the body.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468971490.903742.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468971510.181869.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468971579.223752.jpg

Link to mike mount

Jeep Wrangler 75WXST CB Mount for Passenger Grab Bar JK Models 2011 to Present https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D0BH01M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_iKRJxbFEX6B27

Last edited:

Raptor Wrangler

I have installed a Pioneer 8200 NEX radio a couple of months back and am about to install this same CB. Has anyone tried to run the speaker output to the aux input on the radio? I was concerned that the speaker output would overload the radio.

Slimebones

I've only had mine for about four months and I have overheating issues. I believe it was a fault from the beginning and I need to get it replaced.

Not sure about anyone one else but also the unit is susceptible to electro interference really easy. Grounding the power box has helped but I still have issues and reception issues. I've already tuned my system as well.

I also have intermittent issues with this interference. Randomly the dash lights, wipers, headlamps all activate when mic is keyed. Have spent countless hours trying to diag. Just put up with it when it occurs now. Have seen others have this issue as well. Note: tried another unit and got same random issues. Do some research. Many will say it is a grounding issue. Not in my case.

JeepFan

Hooked
I also have intermittent issues with this interference. Randomly the dash lights, wipers, headlamps all activate when mic is keyed. Have spent countless hours trying to diag. Just put up with it when it occurs now. Have seen others have this issue as well. Note: tried another unit and got same random issues. Do some research. Many will say it is a grounding issue. Not in my case.

Pick up 2 ferrite core noise suppressors. Install one on the power wire and one on the antenna cable. This should solve your issue.

ROBnTANK

I just installed mine a few weeks ago. Once installed my under dash lights stay on. I'm still trying to diagnose the issue. Also I'm still not able to transmit or receive.

Petzl88

I will sell someone my Cobra 75 for cheap!!! I run VHF and have this in my Jeep for my non Ham friends and I can't wait to get it out.

aemfinger

Just installed mine, but having issues. Originally i installed almost identical to the op, except my antenna is mounted to the tailgate hinge. However, i was getting feedback through my speakers. I rechecked my ground and rerouted coax thru rollbar, well away from other speaker wires, yet the feedback remains...what am i doing wrong?

Top Bottom