Coil change

P1TBU11

I'm a RN and I haven't logged much wrench time. I'm thinking about a DIY coil change on my 12 JK and would like to get an idea of how difficult I can expect it to be...I've watched a YouTube video but I feel pretty sure it wasn't the guy in the videos first time doing a coil swap, and that it will not go as effortlessly for me.

I'm going from 14/56 to 18/59. I've thought about ordering spacers and putting the swap off until they came in but I'm unclear on the maximum size spacer I could run with the taller coils without having to change out a bunch of other stuff.

Anybody got any input?

SFNick

I'm a RN and I haven't logged much wrench time. I'm thinking about a DIY coil change on my 12 JK and would like to get an idea of how difficult I can expect it to be...I've watched a YouTube video but I feel pretty sure it wasn't the guy in the videos first time doing a coil swap, and that it will not go as effortlessly for me.

I'm going from 14/56 to 18/59. I've thought about ordering spacers and putting the swap off until they came in but I'm unclear on the maximum size spacer I could run with the taller coils without having to change out a bunch of other stuff.

Anybody got any input?

It's a fairly simple swap. What size tires are you planning on running? The 18/59 coils will give a 2 door about 1.5" in the front & 1" in the rear give or take. You just need a good floor Jack, a couple 6 ton or bigger Jack stands, & a mechanics tool set. Nothing to it.

Brankz

If I did it you can do it, pice of cake 👍 I gained about 2 inch on my 2 door with some rubi hard top coils

NV375

.........I've thought about ordering spacers and putting the swap off until they came in but I'm unclear on the maximum size spacer I could run with the taller coils without having to change out a bunch of other stuff.

Anybody got any input?

I would give it a try without the spacers first. The estimated lift from just the coils are a nice change. If you insist on spacers about 0.75 max on top of the new coils. If the new coils are not enough you may want a spacer lift with your stock coils for a softer ride. Depends on your preferences. The Rancho 2" sport suspension gave my JKUR a great ride but I was not happy running 35s with it and my goal was always 37s. If you plan to stop at 285s/33s try just the coils you have and save money for shocks later.

big dr

Its usually a pretty easy job, as others have stated. The only thing I can suggest is renting a spring compressor can help immensely if you are doing it by yourself. If you got a buddy there with you,, you can usually muscle them into place. good luck!:thumb:

MarkW13

Anybody got any input?

Just change the fronts and see if you like the stance. If you change front and rear you'll need spacers to level it out. The front set is the hardest to change. I suggest purchasing a pair of spring compressors. Not required, but if you add spacers its way easier to get the spring in if you compress it a bit. Make sure you have a torque wrench. It makes a difference.

Devallee

Take your time and have a couple beers handy. The biggest problem I ran into was loosening/removing the stock stuff as they seem to be torqued in by Hercules himself. I had nothing but hand powered tools, no air wrenches or anything. If you have those it'll be a breeze. After getting everything out, like stated above its pretty straight forward. Did all 4 springs plus a drag link flip in a few hours in my driveway with my 70yr old father helping me out. Just be careful with the brake lines when dropping the axle, other than that you're good :thumb:

P1TBU11

I'm gonna go without spacers for now. I have pneumatic tools, a brother that'll help, and Rubicon shocks. I think I can borrow a torque wrench if my brother doesn't have one. I have access to a lift if I need it. Would that make it easier or should I jack up one side at a time?

I'm gonna go without spacers for now. I have pneumatic tools, a brother that'll help, and Rubicon shocks. I think I can borrow a torque wrench if my brother doesn't have one. I have access to a lift if I need it. Would that make it easier or should I jack up one side at a time?

If you have access to a lift use it. It will make it so much easier. Remember to disconnect the shocks and sway bar links and you will have more than enough flex to swap out the coils without using spring compressors. BTW, spring compressors can be very dangerous. Do not need to hear about the RN going to the ER because of a spring compressor mishap.

MarkW13

http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/AEV_JK_2_Inch_Suspension.pdf

This should cover most everything that needs to be done. Dont forget to unhook the parking brake cables from their perch. Everything will get hung up.

P1TBU11

If you have access to a lift use it. It will make it so much easier. Remember to disconnect the shocks and sway bar links and you will have more than enough flex to swap out the coils without using spring compressors. BTW, spring compressors can be very dangerous. Do not need to hear about the RN going to the ER because of a spring compressor mishap.

Yeah, I'm trying to totally avoid using spring compressors.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/AEV_JK_2_Inch_Suspension.pdf

This should cover most everything that needs to be done. Dont forget to unhook the parking brake cables from their perch. Everything will get hung up.

Awesome. Thanks bro!

Top Bottom