Coil spring swap

Stotch

Caught the Bug
It can go very easily without coil compressors like stated, but you should be prepared and make sure you have what you need. The first time I did this I broke a lower shock bolt and had to go to the hardware store. Having an extra set of hands and another vehicle goes a long way.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Best thing to do and do not short cut swapping. Loosen and/or related parts and re-tighten and torque on level ground. I referenced Eddie's write up on BB with springs and levelling kit. I have had no problems with rig going on 109,000. I always read about people not doing it correctly then complain about the ride later.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
OverlanderJk is right. Follow the write up, use a floor jack, a set of jack stands, & chock the wheels. It's not that difficult, & you get a lot of satisfaction from wrenching on your Jeep.

JeepDrum

Best thing to do and do not short cut swapping. Loosen and/or related parts and re-tighten and torque on level ground. I referenced Eddie's write up on BB with springs and levelling kit. I have had no problems with rig going on 109,000. I always read about people not doing it correctly then complain about the ride later.

This is what I used when I switched out Rough Country coils for Rock Krawler ones. Even though the writeup is for a BB, it still applies.

Donner85

The jack is perfectly safe when used properly. Also there's no pushing or pulling on the axle because the spring comes right out. I've done it several times and never had an issue.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I have used a high lift to lift my jeep when I did my lift. I lifted as close as possible to the tire on the rock rails. Lifted the jeep about 6 inches on one side and placed a jack stand under the frame and then did the same thing on the other side. Then I unbolted the shock/axle side trackbar(when I had the stock front drive shaft I also had to take it off to get full droop). Note: the tires were still on the ground. Jacked up the axle and then removed the wheels and tires and dropped the axle down which let the springs pretty much fall out. The axle was probably sitting 2" off of the ground. If using a hi-lift inspect it and make sure it's in good working order and lubed up. It is as dangerous as negligent and ignorant you want to be.

Kilroy

After all that if you never did it or don't have the right TOOLS for the job bring it to a shop and have them do it. Watch them do it then you have an idea for next time.

Donner85

I have used a high lift to lift my jeep when I did my lift. I lifted as close as possible to the tire on the rock rails. Lifted the jeep about 6 inches on one side and placed a jack stand under the frame and then did the same thing on the other side. Then I unbolted the shock/axle side trackbar(when I had the stock front drive shaft I also had to take it off to get full droop). Note: the tires were still on the ground. Jacked up the axle and then removed the wheels and tires and dropped the axle down which let the springs pretty much fall out. The axle was probably sitting 2" off of the ground. If using a hi-lift inspect it and make sure it's in good working order and lubed up. It is as dangerous as negligent and ignorant you want to be.

Finally, someone on this thread that isn't deathly afraid of a high lift. You can get hurt just as quick using a shop lift or a regular jack and jack stands.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I know the front and rear are different, but are they driver side passenger side specific or can you stick the front coil on either side?

WJCO

Meme King
I know the front and rear are different, but are they driver side passenger side specific or can you stick the front coil on either side?

Check the instructions. Some kits do have different LF and RF coils. If the instructions are specific to that and the coils aren't labeled, call the company.

I was told years ago that the reason for this is to keep the LF ride height about .250 higher than the rest so that the weight of the average driver would level out the vehicle during most driving conditions and that sagging over time wouldn't make the LF lower being that there is always more weight on that corner being that there will always be someone in the LF seat.

Donner85

Isn't there a kit that also has the right rear spring just slightly higher since that spring is usually the first one to sag because of the torque.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Isn't there a kit that also has the right rear spring just slightly higher since that spring is usually the first one to sag because of the torque.

I'm surprised it doesn't sag just from an off centered tank of gas...

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Taking a stab at changing these, absolutely positive I will be lucky to get one done today. Got the driver side off with a little perseverance no swearing and no bloodshed so far, BUT when I went to put the new one on I discovered this: the top of the coil is too small to fit over the bump stop.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
This: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474386598.916957.jpg won't fit over this: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474386639.279661.jpg . Probably gonna have to put it back together try again another day[emoji20]

Top Bottom