Coilover nitrogen pressures

TreyP

Have read if they are low that oil will get in the wrong place? Does it go back when pressurized to the correct setting?

So 150 is the correct number to shoot for?

If the N2 pressure is zero, the oil will get into the pressure chamber. This causes low oil level in the shock and an air pocket. Repressurizing them will not put the oil back into the proper chamber. If your lucky and haven't really worked the shocks hard you should be OK. One way to test if oil is in the resi is to let the N2 out of the valve and see if any oil comes out. And as noted always fill shocks extended.

150 is a good number for what you are using them for.

Tree Frog

All good info.

Looked at Powertank's set up to fill and adjust myself. Nice but kind of pricy. Like the kit that comes in a black plastic box. But not for something I would only use once every year or so. Looks like I am going to have to get my buddy to do it when he has got time.

I really don't mind buying tools or equipment if I can justify the cost by doing it myself or having to pay to have somebody else do it and then screw it up.
Prefer to do all the work myself. That way it is done right and if I mess up well then I can only get mad at myself.

Have got to find a book or a manual for these Kings. Looked like crazy and even You Tube does not have much at all. There has got to be something out there.

utiadam

LOSER
All good info.

Looked at Powertank's set up to fill and adjust myself. Nice but kind of pricy. Like the kit that comes in a black plastic box. But not for something I would only use once every year or so. Looks like I am going to have to get my buddy to do it when he has got time.

I really don't mind buying tools or equipment if I can justify the cost by doing it myself or having to pay to have somebody else do it and then screw it up.
Prefer to do all the work myself. That way it is done right and if I mess up well then I can only get mad at myself.

Have got to find a book or a manual for these Kings. Looked like crazy and even You Tube does not have much at all. There has got to be something out there.

Take a look at this on eBay
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439266526.654571.jpg

SFNick

Great info! I checked my rear coilovers today and there is a lot of oil coming out of the bypass when I release the Schrader valve. Do I need to get them rebuilt or is there a simpler solution?

jeeeep

Hooked
Great info! I checked my rear coilovers today and there is a lot of oil coming out of the bypass when I release the Schrader valve. Do I need to get them rebuilt or is there a simpler solution?

did you check the pressure with the shock off the axle and extended? I believe that is the proper way to check the pressure.

SaddleTramp

Are you using the necessary chambered gauge?

SFNick

After researching remote reservoirs a little looks like Ill need new seals. There shouldn't be any fluid coming out of the Schrader valve.

Tree Frog

How old are your shocks Nick?
Wheeled hard or just the normal thrashing?

Trying to get a handle on maintenance intervals.

SFNick

How old are your shocks Nick?
Wheeled hard or just the normal thrashing?

Trying to get a handle on maintenance intervals.

I bought them used & the guy said they were less than a year old but when I got them they were pretty rusted & I did a lot of buffing to get them nice & shiny again. I also checked the nitrogen pressure and charged them to 200psi, at that time there wasn't any fluid in the res & all looked good. After about 5 months of wheeling every weekend moderate to hard trails. I could tell they were pretty worn. My guess is every 2 years they will need a over haul. I'm tempted to buy a new set & have these rebuilt for back up.

Tree Frog

I really want to learn how to work on and rebuild them myself.
Some place there is a manual, book or something.
Guys just don't drop out knowing how to work on these.
Guess I should call King.

SFNick

I really want to learn how to work on and rebuild them myself.
Some place there is a manual, book or something.
Guys just don't drop out knowing how to work on these.
Guess I should call King.

I don't think it would be difficult at all it's just expensive to get started. I could get everything I need to replace seals, fluid & a new shock cylinders for the rear coilover for about 300$ but I'd still need a nitrogen bottle & regulator. The cheapest I've found is around 200$. King will service them for $120 but you gotta wait & that doesn't include any parts they might have to replace besides the seals.

Tree Frog

Hey utiadam,
You were asking about what my pressures were out of the box. Rears were 125 and 150 fronts were 80 and 90. I may very well have been responsible for the low reading on one front shock as I did try to get a gauge to work on it. One quick pop on and waited but my gauge was moving real slow so I just stopped. Did not hear any hissing or sounds like a loss. Never touched the other shocks.

Got tired of waiting so went ahead and got my own setup. This way I can check them every few months and adjust as I please.

utiadam

LOSER
Hey utiadam,
You were asking about what my pressures were out of the box. Rears were 125 and 150 fronts were 80 and 90. I may very well have been responsible for the low reading on one front shock as I did try to get a gauge to work on it. One quick pop on and waited but my gauge was moving real slow so I just stopped. Did not hear any hissing or sounds like a loss. Never touched the other shocks.

Got tired of waiting so went ahead and got my own setup. This way I can check them every few months and adjust as I please.

I can understand a 10 psi difference as far as a quality control issue but 25 psi difference seems like a bit much. Are you going to adjust them before installing or shortly after?

Tree Frog

Adjusted pressure with the axels fully drooped out. No way was I going to take it all back apart. I know I have read that the shocks need to be taken off but ?really?

I can barely get my axels fully drooped in the garage with the tires on. :doh:
Keep drooling over your avatar photo of the clean white shop with a lift.

utiadam

LOSER
Adjusted pressure with the axels fully drooped out. No way was I going to take it all back apart. I know I have read that the shocks need to be taken off but ?really?

I can barely get my axels fully drooped in the garage with the tires on. :doh:
Keep drooling over your avatar photo of the clean white shop with a lift.

I didn't know you already had them installed. When they adjusted mine they left them on the vehicle. I don't think it's necessary to completely remove them, just full droop.

Top Bottom