Coilovers - worth the hype?

Seahawkfan

Hooked
If you go 2.5" you have to outboard the CO'S in the rear so you have to cut into the tub. Not a big deal for some but could be for others

That’s a really good question, after Moab I’m not sure where I’m going to go. The biggest consideration for me now will be flex. What ever I do, I hope to go to a 14” travel system like the DTD or accutune’s 14” setup. I rubbed, but not damaged both my rear coils on Pritchett and I am sure that won’t be the last time with them hanging out back there. The DTDs design where the COs are shoved up under the body is getting more appealing verses the Accutune’s longer COs angled back further we which will be more exposed.

So I’m not sure where I’m going to go after this. But I will say that EVOs bolt on kit is an extremely solid option for how hard Jeff, merica and I pushed them. EVO did a hell of a job building a kit that you can bolt on.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

If all you ever do is rock crawl, there really is no need for 2.5. Also, just because you run a longer coil over like a 14” doesn’t mean you’ll be able to use all of it. Length isn’t everything and some kits like the one Rebel makes will only give you something like 9” of vertical travel. Likewise, the EVO lever uses an 8” coil over and you get 14” of travel because of how it’s designed. Also, even if you could get the full travel of a 14” coil over, you would have other things that would prevent it such as driveline bind.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Thanks you all for your input. I think I will just stay the course of the EVO to include long arms. Would someday love to go to the DTD but that would need axle upgrades first.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thanks you all for your input. I think I will just stay the course of the EVO to include long arms. Would someday love to go to the DTD but that would need axle upgrades first.

I honestly believe that’s the best way to go until you know exactly what works for you. You can just unbolt them and sell them off recouping some of the investment with no major work or impact to the jeep and then do something bigger.

And definitely do the LAs. Great upgrade on the road and going fast on the trail. But when you do, order the high clearance arms.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
Go watch a couple JKX videos and see what some of those guys do Without Coilovers... that should mentally hold you over for a while. [emoji51]

Last edited:

MericaMade

All very good points. After seeing Bhaner’s DTD preform flawlessly, that system is looking better and better for me.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
I jumped in Bhaners jeep after we got him to the top of the escalator and road back down to the group. No joke, I could feel the difference in that kit from my coilovers. It felt like we were floating over the terrain. The nicest jeep I have ever rode in for sure.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I jumped in Bhaners jeep after we got him to the top of the escalator and road back down to the group. No joke, I could feel the difference in that kit from my coilovers. It felt like we were floating over the terrain. The nicest jeep I have ever rode in for sure.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup, it’s looking more like the end result for me.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom