Colorado June 6-12th

Speeddmn

So I'm headed to Colorado Springs for my wifes 20 year HS reunion. Plan to hit up a trail or two in that area, but my big question is two part!!

Do you need any sort of OHV type sticker or pass to do trails in CO? Also does anyone know if Black Bear pass and Imogene Pass would be open by then? I plan to call the local ranger station as time gets closer. I only ask since I might as well detour into Telluride area if I get the chance.

Also have the wife talked into hitting Moab up for another quick day trail on the way home also!!! She is getting hooked and I love it!

Ill be driving to Grand Junction Colorado from Vegas on June 6th on my way to Michigan looking forward to seeing that part of the country should be beautiful have fun......

Sadly I would doubt that that Imogene and Black Bear will be open, but definitely worth a call to the ranger station to find out. If they are open and you're looking for another great trail to run that day down there look into Poughkeepsie - you wont be disappointed. If you're going to be in the Colorado Springs area, there are a TON of trails close by. Checkout traildamage.com for info on some, along with how to get to them. Also, while you're out here, if you'd like company on some trails post it up and I'm sure some people will come along.

As for the OHV permit - I'm not 100% sure they're required for a Jeep that is street legal, but here is a website that should help:

no www - parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/OHVRegistrations/Pages/OHVRegistrations.aspx

Hope that helps! Have fun when you're out here and hit us up if you want company.

Colorado in June

Not sure about some of the mountain trails up north, but you will have some good opportunities not far from the Springs. Take a look at Rampart Range, Woodland Park and Rainbow Falls OHV areas.

Anything in El Paso, Douglas, Jefferson and Clear Creek Counties is pretty reachable in a day and back from Colo Springs:
http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

Enjoy!

Just got back from Telluride. Black Bear and Imogene are still closed. Ophir is open, though.

thanks for the replays everyone! We are headed out in the morning, since Black Bear and Imogene are closed we might skip that part and head back from the Springs right into Moab.. Maybe late this summer I can get a few days off and hit them up!

September should be fine. My family has taken an annual trip to the Ouray area for the past 3 years, usually the first week in August and all the trails have been open. Last year we got snowed on at the top of Imogene (pic below). This year we will be there in a month. Early/mid September shouldn't be a problem though.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370447878.589875.jpg

Sent via :beer: mail

good to here because im coming home from Afghanistan and spending my leave in Co and its one of my stops to hit black bear pass. any tip about the trails around ouray and telluride area?

Imogene trail is scenic but not hard at all. Black bear is pretty neat, but the difficult rating that it has is due entirely to the switch-backs near the end of the trail. I only had to back up on 2 of them in my 2 door. You can't really go wrong out there though. My favorite was Poughkeepsie by far. It's the hardest and just plain fun! You can check out traildamage.net (maybe .com ?) for good info on trails too. Judging by what it sounds like your rig can do with the 37s & 6" lift I'd steer clear of the mild trails, unless you just want to take in the scenery. Governors basin was pretty neat, so was engineers pass. You can also hit up a book store and look for the guide to co back roads & 4 wheel drive trails for some great info on the trails.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370448958.323214.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370448997.215251.jpg

thank you for the info im really going to just spend time with my wife we want to do some mild trails just for fun but I really want to test out the jeep while im there as well. everything iv done to the jeep has been done while iv been over here so im excited to see what it can do. once again thank you for your input.:thumb:

No prob! Just glad to help. I'm sure you'll enjoy it out there. Post up some pics after your trip too.

Opening date

Thought this might be helpful for anyone interested in Black Bear Pass:

It's officially called Forest Service Road #648 and is located in the Grand Mesa/Gunnison Forest.

The official website:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gmug/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=32490&actid=94

And seasonal info phone number:
Norwood Ranger District (ph. 970-327-4261)

Call before you go, it sometimes gets closed due to rockslide or weather, even in the middle of the summer.

Top Bottom