Compressor Choices

atrollip

Hi all

I was wondering if u could give a little bit of advice on which compressors to buy and or are recommended?
I did look through existing threads and only found one on someone moving there built in compressor.

ARB seems reliable but low flow rate, T max is cheap and seems like reviews say they don't last, Finni flash also seem low flow rate and VI Air seams a little tricky for SA to service.

Depending on what you plan to do with the compressor?

If it is for airing up your tires I would strongly recommend the ARB Twin compressor as I have seen them in action and they work great. I have the Vi-Air and only use it for trail flat fixes due to it overheating when inflating all four tires. Another option for airing up after a trail run is to get the Warn Power Plant. It serves as a winch and air compressor. Had I know this before purchasing my Zeon I would have done the Power Plant.

For ARB Lockers get the ARB compressor with storage tank because it is designed to work with their lockers.

R/
Will

Thanx. For now only airing up tires.

If you are planning in the future of running ARB Lockers then go with ARB as they are designed for their lockers. There is nothing worse than having to spend money twice as I am learning this the hard way.

atrollip

I probably will want lockers installed in the future as im driving a Sahara which hasn't got the diff lock like the Rubi's stock, just don't know yet whether they will be ARB.
It's definitely worth it too spend a little more for lasting quality.

Mjay

I personally use a smittybilt portable compressor, which is pretty damn good for 100 bucks.

However my gf has the single ARB which has been a great compressor. It's filled up 8 35s a few times due to another compressor crapping out with no issue. Takes about 90 seconds per 35, so I can only imagine that the dual would be half the time. Could be used in conjunction with a tank for a quicker experience and possibility of running some air tools like an impact

jesse3638

Hooked
I've got a cheap high volume compressor from Harbor freight ($50 on sale). I use it strictly for airing up and works pretty well on 35's. Takes me about 10-12 mins for all 4 from 10psi to 28psi. Don't know if it'd be good for any more than 4 tires or much higher pressures as it gets really hot but meets my needs for now. I'll probably go either power plant or ARB twin once I'm ready.

FastZach

My dad just bought this compressor a couple weeks ago. He was tired of his Viair taking so long. Pretty expensive but I think the ARB twin is about the same. Really well built. His 37" tire went completely flat over night from a bad valve stem and it filled it up to 30 psi in about 1.5 mins. I would recommend if you're looking to spend a little $$$.

http://www.extremeoutback.com/produ...+Volt+Portable+Compressor++Part#+007-223.html

Also, when doing research I noticed a lot of people recommend the Puma air compressor 12V 2 gallon. No experience but a lot people recommended it and its relatively cheap.

Fitzbsly

I'm running ARB twin and love it. Works great and airs up my 38's from 10-30lbs in less than 2 minutes. just added Viair 2.5 gallon tank and I'm sure it will cut it down to a minute to air up.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426828732.088019.jpg

atrollip

FITZBSLY I like where u mounted yours they've told me for my on board installation under the bonnet is too tight. They'll be installing it in the boot with a bracket. I'll post picks I unfortunately couldn't get twin buy just the single motor ARB compressor which they say will take about 4 min to inflate tyres. Still got stock small tyres.

ctlazer5

I have a buddy that runs electric lockers? I was with him once and he turned the lockers on and I asked him what compressor he had put in for them and he said nothing, they were electric…anyone ever hear of this? That was and still is the first time i've heard of electric lockers…?

scull20

I have a buddy that runs electric lockers? I was with him once and he turned the lockers on and I asked him what compressor he had put in for them and he said nothing, they were electric…anyone ever hear of this? That was and still is the first time i've heard of electric lockers…?

Electric lockers do indeed exist. The Rubicon trim line of the JK comes with them from the factory. No compressor is required.

ctlazer5

Can you install electric lockers? What would be the main concern/difference between those and the air ones such as ARB or ones like ARB. :thinking:

ctlazer5

Thank you. I understand how lockers work I just didn't know the big difference between electric lockers and air lockers…besides the obvious. Thank you though. Good article :thumb:

Top Bottom