Concerns with 488’s and 37’s.

NeverLost00

Living at sea level helps a lot. I’m happy with the way mine drives. Like I said, give a programmer a try. $350 is cheaper than choosing the wrong ratio. :thumb:

desertrunner

I feel like this argument is a but subjective but I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix.

I have a 12' manual with 4.88s (PR44 front, standard sport 44 in the back) and a rubi transfer case. 37x13.5 coopers.

Normal road driving is nice even highway in the hills isnt bad but I do end up in 4th sometimes. What i will say about the rocks though is even with the rubi t case I wish I had more gear. I just got back from moab too. Now granted it's a manual so stalling adds into my want for a higher gear because a few times I had to get on the clutch when I didnt want to and killed my momentum. It had less to do with torque needed

The only reason i picked 4.88 over 5.13 is because of my paranoia of pinion strength. However if I were to do it over again I would go 5.13

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I feel like this argument is a but subjective but I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix.

I have a 12' manual with 4.88s (PR44 front, standard sport 44 in the back) and a rubi transfer case. 37x13.5 coopers.

Normal road driving is nice even highway in the hills isnt bad but I do end up in 4th sometimes. What i will say about the rocks though is even with the rubi t case I wish I had more gear. I just got back from moab too. Now granted it's a manual so stalling adds into my want for a higher gear because a few times I had to get on the clutch when I didnt want to and killed my momentum. It had less to do with torque needed

The only reason i picked 4.88 over 5.13 is because of my paranoia of pinion strength. However if I were to do it over again I would go 5.13

Good to know because I was going to go with 5:13's and I to have a 12' JKUR manual. I believe 4:88 brings it back close to stock with 37's but I want a bit more low end so 5:13's it is.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Good to know because I was going to go with 5:13's and I to have a 12' JKUR manual. I believe 4:88 brings it back close to stock with 37's but I want a bit more low end so 5:13's it is.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Keep in mind mine is not a DD. So you may be shifting more than normal in town (I had the 4.88s with 33s before going 37s and it made me laugh sometimes) but unless your hard on the skinny pedal the 5.13s should keep you off the clutch more in big rocks especially if you don't have a rubi t case. But know that the pinion does get pretty small at that high of gear

Hilop

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the responses, I finally took it out to Holcomb creek for the initial run since the recent mods and regear. She did just fine with no complaints. I just stayed light on the pedal and let her do the work, granted it’s not a really knarly trail but I think she’ll do fine.

Attachments

• 989F0861-3CF8-4AA2-8AFB-2116979F73D8.jpg
    989F0861-3CF8-4AA2-8AFB-2116979F73D8.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom