Considering a used Rubicon - thoughts?

Supercharged

I have been looking to get an Unlimited Rubicon for 2 years now and the time is finally near. I found an all white 2015 Rubicon at a local dealer with 60k miles on it. It's loaded with the exception of leather which I don't care for anyway.

My question is would you be comfortable buying this with 60k or would you start getting concerned about issues creeping up? I'm expecting mainly highway miles and it's bone stock so I like that. Asking price is $32,500. Carfax is clean as a 2 owner and no accidents or repeat trips to the dealer noted.

Thanks!
Rich

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

black pearl

Hooked
I know everyone has there own thoughts on this. Because wranglers hold value so well, I couldn't get myself to buy used. I got my 16 JKUR sticker was about 36,xxx,out the door around 40,xxx. For me personally the extra few grand was worth it, full warranty, I I know it hasn't been beaten. That's my thoughts [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Im gonna agree i would spend the extra and get it new ...32k not bad but my area you can get new for about 45k and when ya factor in warranty and having just test drive miles i think well worth it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Hell, I bought my 08 with 72k. I figured I'd be upgrading a lot of stuff anyway and I wanted a rig I wasn't worried about getting scratched up. Also, I bought a new vehicle once and swore I'd never do it again. Let someone else pay for the depreciation even though our Jeeps do hold value better than most. You can do a lot with $15k. The dealer will try and sell you a warranty anyway. 😎

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

There are so many stock Rubi's that never leave pavement running around its ridiculous. Yeah Im bitter because I should have bought one but instead went for a Sahara and now have regret lol. Seriously just keep your eyes peeled and find one that lools like it has been a pavement princess. Or by new as stated earlier.

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'd have no reservations at all buying a used jeep. Mine had 36k on it. If it's going to be a 2nd car or trail rig used is the way to go, IMO.

GraniteCrystal

Tough call. Financially, it rarely makes sense to buy new. Too much depreciation. Jeeps may be one of the few exceptions because they hold value so well.

For me it was nice to still have 6,000 miles on the bumper to bumper warranty so if something did come up, I was covered. Maybe look for one with less than 36k miles for that reason. $32.5k seems a little high for that many miles.

Supercharged

Thanks for the feedback gents. Maybe I'll offer them $30 out the door and see if they bite.. Around here 2012 to 2104 are still in the upper 20s to low 30s so I'm not sure how it will play out.

Thanks for the feedback gents. Maybe I'll offer them $30 out the door and see if they bite.. Around here 2012 to 2104 are still in the upper 20s to low 30s so I'm not sure how it will play out.

What does a new one cost in your area? I was out the door with my '16 JKURHR for 38,xxx

Sahara_Maverick

What is your plan? Mod and wheel it? Factory warranty is meaningless and dealer will claim that your mods forfeit it anyways.
Check it carefully for signs of heavy usage. As already mentioned, could have been a mall crawler. In that case save the money for your mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

ROBnTANK

I'd say that's too many miles for a 2015. I have a 2015 and it's my daily driver, I just passed 30,000 a few months ago and I drive 60 miles to work each day. Do some more research and you'll find one with lower miles.

Napalm

In my opinion, high mileage isn't an issue when you put the miles on your Jeep. The issue comes when you buy a used one that has that many miles. That's almost 30k miles a year, which is a lot. I'd be curious to see how many previous owners and if the service records are available.

It could be a great Jeep and you could buy it with no problems or issues. The previous owner might have taken great care of it. But, there is always that Chance that this wasn't the case. I purchased a 2012 Toyota Tundra with over 94k miles for about the same price as your looking at spending. While it was incredibly well kept, I found my OCD constantly thinking how well this truck had been kept and if I was going to have incoming issues. I didn't want to deal with the issues knowing that I had a nearly 30k note on the vehicle, so I ended up selling it and buying my current Jeep Wrangler brand new.

My point to all this is, like the others have said, research research research. I'd check every inch of this thing with a fine tooth comb before buying. Good luck!

Last edited:

RUBEERCON

If your going to add aftermarket parts look around for a lifted JKU that fits your style and needs. There are lots of used Rubicon's in my area with lifts, wheel tire packages that were dealer built and traded back in. You can inspect the under carriage and get a good idea of how it's been treated. It's a good way to save some cash but you may have to spend a couple thousand more than you will on a stock jeep. Doesn't take long to dump 10k in aftermarket parts once you make a purchase.

Supercharged

In my opinion, high mileage isn't an issue when you put the miles on your Jeep. The issue comes when you buy a used one that has that many miles. That's almost 30k miles a year, which is a lot. I'd be curious to see how many previous owners and if the service records are available.

It could be a great Jeep and you could buy it with no problems or issues. The previous owner might have taken great care of it. But, there is always that Chance that this wasn't the case. I purchased a 2012 Toyota Tundra with over 94k miles for about the same price as your looking at spending. While it was incredibly well kept, I found my OCD constantly thinking how well this truck had been kept and if I was going to have incoming issues. I didn't want to deal with the issues knowing that I had a nearly 30k note on the vehicle, so I ended up selling it and buying my current Jeep Wrangler brand new.

My point to all this is, like the others have said, research research research. I'd check every inch of this thing with a fine tooth comb before buying. Good luck!

This where I am too. I bought a brand new Acadia for the same as this used Jeep but knew what I had. I am super OCD about my vehicles as far as maintenance and condition of the interior/exterior. So I can see where I would really worry about what has a used vehicle been through.

I'm not doing a crazy lift and build. My plan is a 2.5" lift and 35s. I have a 4 year old son with special needs (cant walk, crawl, or talk) and a seizure disorder so nothing crazy to get in or out of. We'll do some trails and light off roading, maybe a few camping trips. The big thing is taking the top off and enjoying time with the family during the summer and go play in the snow during the winter months.

I think I will probably hold off for a new model vs used because of the above concerns. Really antsy, been wanting to pull the trigger for the past couple years and it hasn't been feasible. May be a bit longer if I go new, maybe I'll hold out and see what the JL has to offer.

This where I am too. I bought a brand new Acadia for the same as this used Jeep but knew what I had. I am super OCD about my vehicles as far as maintenance and condition of the interior/exterior. So I can see where I would really worry about what has a used vehicle been through.

I'm not doing a crazy lift and build. My plan is a 2.5" lift and 35s. I have a 4 year old son with special needs (cant walk, crawl, or talk) and a seizure disorder so nothing crazy to get in or out of. We'll do some trails and light off roading, maybe a few camping trips. The big thing is taking the top off and enjoying time with the family during the summer and go play in the snow during the winter months.

I think I will probably hold off for a new model vs used because of the above concerns. Really antsy, been wanting to pull the trigger for the past couple years and it hasn't been feasible. May be a bit longer if I go new, maybe I'll hold out and see what the JL has to offer.

I would just save a little longer and go for the new. Or look for lower miles around the same price. that's a crazy amount of miles for 2 years. To me with the way they hold their value the savings really isn't there for a late model used.

SheaVertwot

My new 14 out the door was almost 38k.. but you can do a lot with that 8k. All depends on how much you plan on modifying it I guess. If it's minimal maybe try to go new

JAGS

Hooked
A 2015 with 60k on it? Me personally I wouldn't do it just for that. But maybe I'm not in reality.

Top Bottom