Cooper vs Nitto

Seahawkfan

Hooked
The certs don't do shit when you're out on the trail unless Discount Tire delivers by drone now.

I didn't realize you were only looking to buy 4 tires.:beer:

BaddestCross

I’ve had a new set of Coopers on Brute since last Nov...during EJS, I aired down to 10 psi on a Sat morning...ran seven trails, ran in and out of town and to the trailheads (some pretty far away) and didn’t air up until the following Sat evening a week later...no problems...not to mention a 2400 mile round trip to Moab from Seattle. I thought the traction on the rocks was excellent. Also did a round trip to Jean, Nevada from Seattle in January & 130 miles in the desert (some of it with you behind me...sometimes driving or being towed).

I got no complaints...
Lol. In my defense, it was my radiator leaking, not my tires. 😂

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Braxtonsag

I literally watched my stt pro sidewall wrap around a sharp pointed rock like a pigs tail at the end of hell’s revenge and then snap back into place. After witnessing that I’m sold for life. Mine aren’t even the 13.50s either.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Lol. I guess you missed the sarcasm. Just meant that the best warranty is one you don't have to use. If I buy through DD, I'll get the certs for sure, but if the tires blow out on the trail, the certs won't help the immediate problem.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

All good. :thumb: I thought would shoot a little back your way. :yup: I just recently went with the Cooper and so far so good. Not terribly loud and seem to be well balanced. Mounted on Machetes without balancing. I do have a vibration at about 80 mph. Have not had time to track it down yet. I cheaped out on the certs . I'm only home 3 times a year so I figured the 3 years would run out quicker than the chances of me fucking the tire up. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me. Have you made a decision yet?

jdofmemi

Well, I'm late to the party.
My work schedule kills me some days.

Sounds like all the weekend work while missing wheeling trips is paying off in the form of some new shoes.

For what it's worth I am very happy, so far, with my Cooper STT Pros. I went 37-13.50-17, and they have only about 2500 miles on them, but also 14 trails.

I have found several places they got me up that my Goodyear MTRs failed at.

I think you will be happy with a set, and use the money saved from the price of the Nittos to treat Fiona to something else she would like.
FYI, I got mine for $988 for a set of four, with a $100 rebate from Discount Tire Direct on eBay, then called customer service and got the fifth at the same price, plus certs for $25 each.

I mounted mine up and have been running around without balancing them. I don't get any tire vibration until over 80, and a slight pull to the right. I had the pull before as well, maybe worse even.

You have seen how I drive, if there is a good way to go, and another way that don't make sense, you know which one I'm taking🤪. If the tires have a problem, I am sure I will find it.

That said, some things can wreck even the best tire. Speeding into a sharp pointy rock killed one of my MTRs. I don't blame the tire for that. Over the years I have had creosote bush and greasewood bush go through sidewalls like a hot knife through butter.
At crawling speed, even the sharpest rocks will fail to puncture good tires.

dillard09

James,
As you know I had a blow out on one of my 37x13.50 Coopers while cruising on the highway at 70 with my little boy in the jeep. That was after a day of wheeling and it scared the shit out of me. I cant remember the exact miles but it was less than 5k. But the STT pros did ride good and hooked pretty good on the trail. I never was a huge fan of the Nitto Trail Grapplers in the 37. If I was putting a 37 back on I would consider the Coopers again but would prob look around at Mickey Thompson, Maxxis, Toyo. I do like the Maxxis Razr. I have seen sidewall punctures on a few tires and a few of them have been the Coopers.
But now that I'm in 40s its Nittos for me.

rmilobrown

Please tell me I'm wrong!

I'm getting ready to make this move as well. Did Discount Direct just increase the 315 STT Pros by $50. per tire? I've had the 315-70-17 in my cart for a week at $249.67 and go today it says $300.????

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm getting ready to make this move as well. Did Discount Direct just increase the 315 STT Pros by $50. per tire? I've had the 315-70-17 in my cart for a week at $249.67 and go today it says $300.????

Looks like it. Just saw the same thing with their 37s.

--

They tend to always go up and down. If you find them cheaper (with the exception of e-bay I think, could be wrong) they will price match.

USMC Wrangler

They tend to always go up and down. If you find them cheaper (with the exception of e-bay I think, could be wrong) they will price match.

My local store would not price match Walmart because it was a sale price. The closest Walmart to me does not have an auto center and I wouldn’t trust them anyway.

They were $25 cheaper per tire for the sale. I did see on the price match info sheet at DT the policy states “regular price” to consider a match. Just something to keep in mind. Can’t hurt to try, in my book.

BaddestCross

Pulled the trigger on the Coopers today... 37x13.5R17s. Matt at Discount Tire Direct really took care of me - Thanks Matt! 🍻

Local America's Tire worked with us and price-matched Matt's price and pulled them in from their local distributor today so I've got an appointment tomorrow morning to have them installed.

Thanks to all of you for your input and helping me make the decision. 👍

--

RCVRY

Pulled the trigger on the Coopers today... 37x13.5R17s. Matt at Discount Tire Direct really took care of me - Thanks Matt! [emoji482]

Local America's Tire worked with us and price-matched Matt's price and pulled them in from their local distributor today so I've got an appointment tomorrow morning to have them installed.

Thanks to all of you for your input and helping me make the decision. [emoji106]

--

I dunno, I would have waited until the thread was four pages but I guess you were finally convinced after three pages.
But what about the new Geolanders?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom