Corrosion in sway bar disconnect electrical mechanism causing battery drain

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I forget who, but someone does make another option that runs a twist and lock cable to the motor.

I would just suggest taking off the motor and resealing it well like many guys have done to stop the water and gunk getting into the assemble, and then use a good amount of dialectric grease in the connector. I swear by that stuff now as I had loose abs wires in the back that was having issues with water getting in after a broken clip issue and never had an issue after the fact.

Havoc40

JKS makes that cable type disconnect. Can't comment on how well it really works, nobody I know has one.

I have a few more things to wrap up before winter. I might add tearing mine down to seal it.

Hello Mountain Beaver and welcome to the WAYALIFE forum.

sorry to hear about the disco issue, but it seems to be a common thing among Rubicon's.

I had similar issue and I did fix it myself.
it is an easy job and definitely you can do it yourself, and it will cost less than ten dollars for gears grease and good RTV sealant.

However, doing it alone, It may take just takes few hours and some patience when cleaning the internal parts and resealing it.
NOTE: take it easy when cleaning the harness connector part (for that, I used a fine sanding paper to remove the rust off the electrical pins).
Also, make sure you disconnect the battery first before starting the repair process.

here is the link to my post on my fix:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-side-tilt-ability-on-JKU&p=175540#post175540

if you have any questions, Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks

snapfish

Thank you very much for the link and the detailed description with photos. I plan on doing this before winter. This was very helpful.

Top Bottom