Cost for welding on Evo Sliders

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
You could also prep (remove paint from areas to be welded) and get them in place by using big self tapping screws through the plug weld holes and then just drive it to a welding shop. That should save you a few bucks as I'm sure a mobile welder would be slightly more expensive. Once they're tacked on just remove the screws and have them weld everything out. Would be a super quick job that way and, since you're basically just paying for labor, should be pretty cheap.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I was asking a rhetorical question. I believe those holes are as a bolt on option. Personally, I went with weld on, just to be sure.

I'm pretty sure the intent is to plug weld the holes, not to say you couldn't bolt them on there. Having those holes not filled could lead to rust.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Thinking it's time to get some EVO Sliders and maybe a set of Skins. I have a 2 door Jk and while I will likely order and paint myself I do not have the ability to weld or a welder for that matter. My plan is to try and find a shop around Reno or Carson that can do the installation but just curious as to how much you all think it might cost to have them installed? planning on calling around but I don't have the first clue of a welder labor rate and don't want to get bent over. Anyway want to see what the total cost might be around before I fully make my decision at this point. thanks in advance

So, I was originally quoted almost 400 bucks by an off road shop in Columbia SC. I ended up taking them to a muffler shop that also built roll cages for drag racing cars. They welded them on for 80 bucks out the door. Shop around if the EVO sliders are the way you want to go and make sure you get a place lined up to weld them at a decent price would be my advice!

benatc1

Hooked
I got a quote for 150 from a off road custom fab shop, have had some work there before and it was good. 2 weeks out so I scheduled but may have a few more options that are less expensive. this guy has done these before so he'll at least know how to set em up right.

Jackal01

The reason I asked is because (in my personal opinion) plug welds alone doesn't seam strong enough. On the other hand yours seams to support a whole other problem. Now you have access for moisture to get between the slider and frame, and with a continuous bead there is no drainage. I would have to assume that they should be plugged as well.

Both are supposed to be welded...the plug welds and the edge not just the plug welds.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
They are NOT a bolt option. They are plug weld holes. Similar to how the rear diff housing is set up

I'm pretty sure the intent is to plug weld the holes, not to say you couldn't bolt them on there. Having those holes not filled could lead to rust.

^This. EVO sliders are NOT supposed to be bolted on. I have no idea why they didn't weld the rosettes.

I am curious about these comments. I wonder if maybe there was a change from Generation 1 to Generation 2? Here is a photo I found from Eddie:

DSC06631.jpg

These were taken quite a while ago, I suspect back in 2009 or so and this would likely make then the 1st generation, no? Now I do not see any holes on the mount plates/feet in the photo above. I find it hard to believe that Off Road Evolution would not plug/rosette weld those holes and not have a valid reason. We just don't know why. So you guys are absolutely sure that those holes could not be used to bolt on the sliders? Of course, it would be WAY better to weld them on, I agree and that is specifically why I had ORE do the work, but to say that those holes are ONLY for plugs welds is a bit extreme, don't you guys think?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I am curious about these comments. I wonder if maybe there was a change from Generation 1 to Generation 2? Here is a photo I found from Eddie:

View attachment 208195

These were taken quite a while ago, I suspect back in 2009 or so and this would likely make then the 1st generation, no? Now I do not see any holes on the mount plates/feet in the photo above. I find it hard to believe that Off Road Evolution would not plug/rosette weld those holes and not have a valid reason. We just don't know why. So you guys are absolutely sure that those holes could not be used to bolt on the sliders? Of course, it would be WAY better to weld them on, I agree and that is specifically why I had ORE do the work, but to say that those holes are ONLY for plugs welds is a bit extreme, don't you guys think?

We are absolutely positive they are not for bolting the sliders on. They truly are ONLY for a plug weld. The plug does hold some value to it as it does help secure it to the frame more than just the outer bead

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yep, 100% weld on and the plugs/rosettes get welded WITH the perimeter.

None of us are saying the rosettes are to be used alone.

I can all but guarantee there is a thread on here somewhere where EVO makes it crystal clear they are rosettes and not bolt holes.

It's not going to change the strength of your sliders by any real amount, but I would suggest either throwing some silicon in there or something else to fill and seal the void.

Jackal01

Yep, 100% weld on and the plugs/rosettes get welded WITH the perimeter.

None of us are saying the rosettes are to be used alone.

I can all but guarantee there is a thread on here somewhere where EVO makes it crystal clear they are rosettes and not bolt holes.

It's not going to change the strength of your sliders by any real amount, but I would suggest either throwing some silicon in there or something else to fill and seal the void.

Here it is

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=409015

Top Bottom