Custom Jeep Wrangler Unlimited *4 Door *6 Speed Manual *Blacked Out!!

cwmt3

Do you have a write up on the sub install? I'm not looking to buy your jeep, but that looks like a great job and I'm tired of my box jumping around everywhere.

JKFlyer

Its like groundhogs day around here!

Anyway, Nice looking rig

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ronstar83

Do you have a write up on the sub install? I'm not looking to buy your jeep, but that looks like a great job and I'm tired of my box jumping around everywhere.

I first had a box up against the rear seat but it was a pain in the ass when I folded the seats down to haul things and found this to be a good fix for that..

Step 1:
Build a sub box to the dimensions of 30" X 14" X 8" (Do not mount in the sub until the box is mounted to the rear swing door) ;)

Step 2:
Remove the inside plastic cover on the swing door.

Step 3:
Remove all of the bolts from the outside of the rear swing door.

IMAG0559.jpg

Step 4:
Open up your rear window to allow for holding the sub box in place while drilling from the outside with the rear door closed.

Step 5:
Place the sub box into place against the door with the door closed on top of a 1/4" to 1/2" board or spacer so that it lifts up the box a bit so that it will easily clear any mats in the back when mounted. (Remember DO NOT block the door vents.)

Step 6:
I found it is much much easier to just simply drill out the existing bolt holes in the outside of the swing door as opposed to using threaded bolts (makes life MUCH easier, trust me!).
Using a corresponding drill bit to the width of the bolts you use for mounting drill out all the factory bolt holes continuing on through the rear of the sub box.

Step 7:
Use rubber seal washers and extended bolts (about 2.5' to 3") bolts to continue through the door and into the rear of the sub box.
Note: Make sure when mounting you the breathe vents on the driver's side of the swing door unblocked for when you roll with the front windows open as to not blow out the back window with pressure.

Step 8:
Once the bolts are pushed through you can then install the nuts on the inside of the sub box through the hole for the subwoofer in the front of the box.

Step 9:
Attach your wire on your sub on the inside of the box and install your sub and optional grill cover (much recommended).

Step 10:
Enjoy!

Wrangler-016.jpg
Never done a write up before so take it easy on me.. I just have spent a shit ton of time busting knuckles and learning from mistakes. Let me know if you have any other questions!

cwmt3

That's great ronstar, I may have to work around the fact I have the stock tire carrier, but the dimensions of your box are priceless ;) nice jeep btw.

Ronstar83

Thanks guys, yeah you would just need to pop off the tire quick to get to the bolts which would make another step on the front and backside for you but should be pretty easy and totally worth it! Just be glad it isn't a 35" you have to remove.. I just had to reinstall mine bu myself the other day, that thing is a beast and I think I lost a whole gear again with the added weight :(

When my 15 Hard Rock comes in with the "upgraded" sound the first thing I am going to have to figure out is how to get rid of the floor mounted sub and get my little storage space back.. I would have opted out of the premium sound but you can't get the "X" package without it. I am thinking this time around to build a custom box that mounts in between the rear roll bars up high and at a front facing downward angle. Always something!

Last edited:

Jeeper Jr.

Nice write up! It certainly looks really clean. However, will the write-up have to be moved so people can find it?

Ronstar83

I just put it together for him kind of on the spot hence the terrible photo of the rear door bolts. I just went outside and took measurements real quick for him and it was dark out already. I can redo it when I get a bit of time and put in in the write-ups area :)

rockcrawler26

I just put it together for him kind of on the spot hence the terrible photo of the rear door bolts. I just went outside and took measurements real quick for him and it was dark out already. I can redo it when I get a bit of time and put in in the write-ups area :)

I live in sherwood and if you part it out let me know. I was pissed in the beginning about the sale and being new but you handled the questions well and did help like someone else mentioned so I have to say good job. And maybe see you out at Brown's soon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ronstar83

I live in sherwood and if you part it out let me know. I was pissed in the beginning about the sale and being new but you handled the questions well and did help like someone else mentioned so I have to say good job. And maybe see you out at Brown's soon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, to be honest I was a bit annoyed at the hostility in general which I was caught off guard by.. But I do understand that there are probly alot of tools coming on just trying to pedal product what what not. I didn't even think about it because although I am new to this particular forum am not new to the Jeep forums in general. I first started on the Jeep forums back in 08 when I bought my JK about 8 months after they were released so none of this is new to me, I just read alot and don't post very often I suppose.. For example, I just read all like 72 pages about the big brake kit write up which was fantastic just to not have a conclusion at the end! Painful..

My guess is once I get the new ride I will end up parting out my baby.. Hoping someone will appreciate all the mods on it as a package so I won't have to pull it all back apart but we'll see.

Saw you like Ford's as well! Just sold my 07 Stage 3 Roush Mustang in Feb to help pony up the dough for a new Jeep.. It was a tough one. I also have my wife's new 13 Fusion to sell because the dealer just called and said the 15 Explorer Sport we ordered is going to arrive July 6th.. Ugh!

Will definitely be heading out to Brown's alot in a couple months to test out the new toy, but will be out there next week sometime. I have a friend from Florida coming and promised him a trip out there to go shooting.. Nice to see someone local representing! I'm in Tigard.. Cheers :beer:

DA RUNT

You said if it doesn't sell before the 15 comes in you may part it out. Interested in the trail rack as I have an LOD stubby rear setup. Let me know :thumb:

liljohn850

You said if it doesn't sell before the 15 comes in you may part it out. Interested in the trail rack as I have an LOD stubby rear setup. Let me know :thumb:

Just get a new rear bumper...those Ace rear bumpers with the slant back mounts look mean... so I've been told ;)

Top Bottom