Custom modular JK hardtop

jscherb

A few recent photos.

RTT and slide-out kitchen:

RTTandKitchen5_zps4wckdihc.jpg

RTTandKitchen3_zpsjgbvdazh.jpg

New Willy-inspired flat fenders (color-matched in the photos below, raw black fiberglass in the photos above):

FlatFendersFinal3_zpslmefcsr8.jpg

FlatFendersFinal1_zpsjon5tctn.jpg

jscherb

Can you show how your fenders mount?

They bolt on using the factory mounting holes. Here's a photo I took before I made the rear fenders, you can see a few of the bolt heads in this photo if you look closely. When I painted the fenders to match the body I switched to blackened stainless bolts so the bolt heads are no longer visible. BTW the mounting method and the fenders are plenty strong enough to pass the 225-lb, gorilla test...

InstalledGorilla_zpsrxs6y1jq.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
They bolt on using the factory mounting holes. Here's a photo I took before I made the rear fenders, you can see a few of the bolt heads in this photo if you look closely. When I painted the fenders to match the body I switched to blackened stainless bolts so the bolt heads are no longer visible. BTW the mounting method and the fenders are plenty strong enough to pass the 225-lb, gorilla test...

InstalledGorilla_zpsrxs6y1jq.jpg

Damn, that's awesome, I was looking for fenders that I could put 225 lbs on from the the top. Wait scratch that, what I meant to say is that I want fenders that won't completely crush in the side of my Jeep if I rub a tree.

jscherb

Damn, that's awesome, I was looking for fenders that I could put 225 lbs on from the the top. Wait scratch that, what I meant to say is that I want fenders that won't completely crush in the side of my Jeep if I rub a tree.

Yeah, I don't expect to need to stand on the front fenders very often, but I designed both the front and rear fenders to be strong enough. The rears could make a nice step for accessing cargo on the roof rack, the idea would be to put a diamondplate step on the fender so the paint wouldn't get scratched, like the one I drew on the photo below. I probably won't need to do this though, at 6'6" I'm tall enough so that I can just stand on the rear tire to access the rack. But if I ever do need to, the fenders are plenty strong enough to support me.

RearSteps_zps143tzvv3.jpg

I do put most of what I build through the 225-lb. gorilla test, earlier this year, not liking any of the tailgate racks on the market I designed and built my own and of course put it through a special version of the gorilla test - the 225-lb. bouncing gorilla... ;)

jscherb

A few photos of the Safari Cab in it's "summer configuration". Being modular, the sides are removable, and it's a really nice way to enjoy the fresh air without having the sun beat down on you.

DoorsOffNoPillar3_zpsguax28vp.jpg

The "c-pillar" in white (haven't painted it yet) in this next photo is used with the roll-up soft sides (which I haven't gotten around to sewing yet).

DoorsOff1_zpswhwa05ic.jpg

Benito

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I don't expect to need to stand on the front fenders very often, but I designed both the front and rear fenders to be strong enough. The rears could make a nice step for accessing cargo on the roof rack, the idea would be to put a diamondplate step on the fender so the paint wouldn't get scratched, like the one I drew on the photo below. I probably won't need to do this though, at 6'6" I'm tall enough so that I can just stand on the rear tire to access the rack. But if I ever do need to, the fenders are plenty strong enough to support me.

I do put most of what I build through the 225-lb. gorilla test, earlier this year, not liking any of the tailgate racks on the market I designed and built my own and of course put it through a special version of the gorilla test - the 225-lb. bouncing gorilla... ;)

Did you make the tailgate rack out of fiberglass too? I wouldn't of had thought you could make those fenders that strong out of fiberglass, very impressive fab skills.

jscherb

Did you make the tailgate rack out of fiberglass too? I wouldn't of had thought you could make those fenders that strong out of fiberglass, very impressive fab skills.

The tailgate rack is mostly aluminum.

Fiberglass can be very strong if designed properly and laid up well, and it made for very strong fenders, but it wouldn't have been appropriate for the rack :).

Top Bottom