Cynthia Jayne - CJ Build Thread

66bmx6

i feel your pain, i have been contemplating saleing the harley to fund other projects. you do what you got to do. Love the CJ. keep it coming.

tbones999

Daily driving again!!!!!!

I am daily driving my CJ again!

I rebuilt my transmission (T-176) and messed around with a lot of different clutch configurations. The trouble all came from a clutch that wouldn't disengage. Body flex, from rust, soaked up too much of the movement in the clutch linkage. I tried the standard hydraulic system everyone uses, but I could never get it bled. I went back to the mechanical linkage with an added brace between the clutch bellcrank mounts and the frame to stiffen it up, still no luck. Finally, I went back to a hydraulic system but used a master cylinder from Wilwood with a larger dia bore. Shifts like a dream!! I am very proud of how much better the transmission works; working on it was intimidating. :)

For the first drive, I took the little guy (3yr-old) for ice cream. We got two waves on the way home! We both went ballistic. :)

I also have a word of caution. When you spend a lot of time going in and out of the hood the extra latches become a nuisance. They are definitely not there for show. The latch in the grill only lasted up to 40mph, and now I have a dent across my whole hood that makes it look very snout nosed. No one hurt, no windshield damage, lesson learned. :)

Happy Jeepin' everyone!

Top Bottom