Daily Driver on tons????

T&ERun

LOSER
Whatever you do, if you get 60s, get full float. Many stories on here about semi float 60s (not worth the savings). Dynatrac will be the most money, but considered by many (including me) to be the best. They will have the thickest tubes, largest outer Cs, toughest balljoints (Prosteer that is), and the best hubs too. Another route would be the Dana Ultimate 60s (that's what I went with-I couldn't justify the extra cost for the amount of wheeling I do). These are quite a bit cheaper. Still a quality axle. There are a few companies that offer these with Air lockers, but for the most part you will only find the axles sold two different ways. One with 5.38 gears and the other with 4.88. You don't get a choice on axles, lockers, hubs, etc; all beefy parts though that will support 40s for mild wheeling. There are other options too. Currie and Teraflex are two others. If you plan to never go 40s and stay with 37s you will more than likely be fine with a Dynatrac PR44 and just upgrading your rear stocker. I ran that way for close to two years with never a problem (again though, only wheeling 7-8 times a year and no high speed).

jeeper52

LOSER
TTT and lets get back on topic.

I wouldn't bother upgrading your stock 44's. Put them up for sale while they are still new and use that money for 60's. I would go with the UD 60s thats what i did. By the time you sell the 44s its only around $7k to get the UD 60s.

4x4livn

I wouldn't bother upgrading your stock 44's. Put them up for sale while they are still new and use that money for 60's. I would go with the UD 60s thats what i did. By the time you sell the 44s its only around $7k to get the UD 60s.

That is what I was thinking. I can spend $3-4k getting the 44s built. Or $7k for one tons.

Still looking for input from people actually driving their 1 tons daily. Most threads I found, the Jeep was a second vehicle. Being this is my primary for now, I want to make sure I keep it streetable and comfortable.

WJCO

Meme King
That is what I was thinking. I can spend $3-4k getting the 44s built. Or $7k for one tons.

Still looking for input from people actually driving their 1 tons daily. Most threads I found, the Jeep was a second vehicle. Being this is my primary for now, I want to make sure I keep it streetable and comfortable.

My neighbor has a 2 door on one tons. Dynatrac 60s. He's never home (in other words driving the Jeep all the time). He's happy with his Jeep being his daily driver as we've talked about only modding a vehicle so far when you have to use it as a DD. I didn't specifically ask him about the axles, but next time I see him I will. Knowing him, I'm sure he's happy or he would have changed it by now.

Grubbicon

If you were to go bolt in axles I definitely get full width. Running 40s on standard width gets old quick when offroad you are always getting into the lower control arms and frame in the front. If you went the junk yard route Id wait till your confident in your welding. I personally am going this route now and it is a ton of clean up and just work in general, but it's definitely way cheaper in the end. The clean up also depends on what axles you choose. If you get something out of a truck that was leaf springs front and rear they are much easier to clean but if you go something newer that has links its a ton more work. I went with the 05+ Super Duty D60 in the front and with it you have to cut 2" off the drive side cast so you have room to put mounts. Getting through that cast is a pain and takes a lot of time, but definitely worth it in the end. As far as milage goes I was getting anywhere from 8-13 with d44s and 40s but I was also running 4.10s (yes it sucked lol). Im going to guess that it will most likely stay the same after since I will be going to 5.38s, but all that extra weight may make it go down.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I am on tons, 37's (or 38.5" competition stickies in the summer) out here.
I am a 4 door, and although I don't "daily drive" it, I still drive it a lot all over the state. I drive it to our rental in Steamboat about once a month, drives like a dream.
No issues at all, gas mileage isn't the best.
You will want 5.38's, getting up into the mountains is tedious. I actually shoot up 6, because the hills on 70 area PITA.
I am on a semi float, because when I got this axle there wasn't a full float option from Dynatrac.

DSC08422_zpsyp5e4pep.jpg

T&ERun

LOSER
Still looking for input from people actually driving their 1 tons daily. Most threads I found, the Jeep was a second vehicle.

Mine is technically a second vehicle. I would have no problem daily driving it. With 40s, 5.38 gears, and Dana Ultimate 60s, it drives exactly like (if not a little better than) it did with 37s, 5.13s, a PR44 front and a built stocker rear 44. I will drive mine all weekend and evenings, but can't during the day because I drive a 3500 dually pickup for work. The Jeep "hands down" drives better than my 3500.

Last edited:
Top Bottom