DIY Re Gear

desertrunner

What I'm thinking would be great is snag a rubi 44 front preferably with 4.88s is what I really want BUT then match my own rear 44 with the dynatrac shaft and ARB set (since it's a non rubi) but buying all of that would wipe my budget for tires so really wouldn't be much to gain for now. Or I could get that 1 front 44 with the 4.10 buy a set of gears for $100 for my rear set them myself and now I still have money for tires....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

If you haven't already looked at this thread, you may find it helpful. A 'true' 35 isn't 35 inches anyways, and actually a tire labeled 35 or 315/70 are nearly identical in diameter depending on the brand you choose:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?35075-The-Ultimate-TRUE-TIRE-SIZE-Database.
Yeah I remember being so sad when I bought my 37" KM2s and they were only like 36s haha

Yeah I know they don't measure up the the sidewall number but to answer that question from Coz something like a 35 ish tire is what I'm trying to put under it for now

desertrunner

What's the going rate for a front 44 these days? Found one brand new the guy literally drove it from the dealer to a shop to have 60s put in. Asking 1900. I've seen them go from 1k-1500 but those weren't brand new

I still gotta figure out the gear situation if I buy it too so there's more money but didn't want to insult the guy by offering 1500

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
What's the going rate for a front 44 these days? Found one brand new the guy literally drove it from the dealer to a shop to have 60s put in. Asking 1900. I've seen them go from 1k-1500 but those weren't brand new

I still gotta figure out the gear situation if I buy it too so there's more money but didn't want to insult the guy by offering 1500

Not trying to rerail the thread or anything but WTF does the cost of 44s have to do with your DIY regear? :hmm: :idontknow:
stayOnTopic.jpg

desertrunner

Well it did kinda have something to do with buying that in the front THEN re gearing my rear myself and the cost of getting it re geared vs me doing it. (But your right not super on topic haha)
Only having to re gear one axle might make it more worth it to try it myself

Last edited:

desertrunner

Going to bring this back up because the 3.21s are killing me even with only 33s. Want to weigh some options out

for those that have done a few of these on their own what are you using to measure pinion depth? the pinion depth tools vary so much in price from $50-$700 im not sure if there is a solid cheap option or if to find a accurate one you have to spend good money on one? And if your not using a pinion depth tool i am assuming using the gear compound and checking the pattern can get you close enough if you know what your looking for (been doing quite a bit of reading)

Also being that i only have the 3.21s and want 4.88s i am going to have to change out the carrier, with that said and the fact i want to spend as little money on the D30 as i can, can i buy any set of 4.88 gears that will work with a 3.73 and down carrier? thought i read somewhere that G2 makes some that work. Also if i do end up buying a new just open carrier can i transfer over my spider gears and cross shaft or do i need a complete new carrier + internals?

WJCO

Meme King
Going to bring this back up because the 3.21s are killing me even with only 33s. Want to weigh some options out

for those that have done a few of these on their own what are you using to measure pinion depth? the pinion depth tools vary so much in price from $50-$700 im not sure if there is a solid cheap option or if to find a accurate one you have to spend good money on one? And if your not using a pinion depth tool i am assuming using the gear compound and checking the pattern can get you close enough if you know what your looking for (been doing quite a bit of reading)

Also being that i only have the 3.21s and want 4.88s i am going to have to change out the carrier, with that said and the fact i want to spend as little money on the D30 as i can, can i buy any set of 4.88 gears that will work with a 3.73 and down carrier? thought i read somewhere that G2 makes some that work. Also if i do end up buying a new just open carrier can i transfer over my spider gears and cross shaft or do i need a complete new carrier + internals?

I've always done gears without the depth gauge. It's time consuming, but just keep marking the gears and checking the pattern. It helps to buy a dummy bearing so you don't have to press the inner pinion bearing on every time that you make an adjustment. I don't know the answer about carrier parts availability with that gear set.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I've always done gears without the depth gauge. It's time consuming, but just keep marking the gears and checking the pattern. It helps to buy a dummy bearing so you don't have to press the inner pinion bearing on every time that you make an adjustment. I don't know the answer about carrier parts availability with that gear set.

^ Yup... :yup:

desertrunner

Yeah I figured if I decide to tackle this I'll just dremmil a little off the old bearing to make a dummy and just keep checking the pattern for depth, I can't imaging a $50 tool being accurate enough to the thousands BUT then again my naked eye on a tread pattern isn't gonna be accurate to the thousands either

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah I figured if I decide to tackle this I'll just dremmil a little off the old bearing to make a dummy and just keep checking the pattern for depth, I can't imaging a $50 tool being accurate enough to the thousands BUT then again my naked eye on a tread pattern isn't gonna be accurate to the thousands either

Most of the ones I've seen (even years ago) were several hundred dollars, which is part of the reason I never used one. I myself wouldn't trust a 50 dollar one, but that's just me.

desertrunner

Most of the ones I've seen (even years ago) were several hundred dollars, which is part of the reason I never used one. I myself wouldn't trust a 50 dollar one, but that's just me.
Sweet thanks for the input!

And if anyone has an idea on the carrier question about re using stock spider gears and cross shaft for a new 3.73 and up open carrier that would be awesome???

Side note most of the gear packages I have seen on NR have an option to add a new front D30 carrier for the bigger gears but not for the rear. Wonder if that is because most add a locker anyway or its not needed for the D44

Draconianwinter

Sweet thanks for the input!

And if anyone has an idea on the carrier question about re using stock spider gears and cross shaft for a new 3.73 and up open carrier that would be awesome???

Side note most of the gear packages I have seen on NR have an option to add a new front D30 carrier for the bigger gears but not for the rear. Wonder if that is because most add a locker anyway or its not needed for the D44

Not sure on the 3.73 but I do know any lower and you will need to replace the carrier. As for the d44 I would personally just save up and add a locket of some sort. It will be a huge help on any trails you run.

sent from your basement

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
You can snag a 12-ton Harbor Freight press for around $120 that will get the job done.

I've also done it with a bottle jack and some Jerry rigging once, but I would NOT recommend that... the press is well worth the money so long as you have room for it.

DSC_0839.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can snag a 12-ton Harbor Freight press for around $120 that will get the job done.

I've also done it with a bottle jack and some Jerry rigging once, but I would NOT recommend that... the press is well worth the money so long as you have room for it.

View attachment 260120

Another vote for HF press. Even cheaper with a coupon. Makes the job so much easier. Do the front and rear then sell the press or even Craigslist for free and you still come out $ ahead over paying a shop $1000+ to do the work. Assuming you do it correctly, that is. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom