DIY storage/security deck.

jku612

Simple 6” tall platform

This is a platform made from a 1/2” plywood from Lowe’s. The supports are 6” tall. They secure front and rear to the factory tie down locations using the factory screws and 2” angle brackets. I used the cargo mat from my old KK to cover it. A sheet of cardboard helped with making the template. I place heavy items over the supports, everything else goes towards the center. Some of my recovery gear goes in an old Blackhawk case I had. It is accessible from the gate or the rear seat when needed. My on board 12v water will be going in the slot on the left where my camp chairs are now. I’ll probably bed liner it when I’m satisfied that is finished.
C7163E1E-2EF9-40D3-8EF6-9A144CAD2446.jpg
993A2CDB-5DFB-4AD7-B723-1BBB6D51F58B.jpg
8993CD3E-D2E0-4F36-961A-9DCF59FC27F0.jpg

Wethy

So thanks for the tips and ideas i thought long about how i was gonna tackle this project. I ended deciding the original plan was the best solution to the 2dr soft top dilemma.... i think i looked up every possible item/manufactuer so heres my project taking form. This is all put together and takes about 30 seconds to put in and remove. I just need to seal the wood up, put the carpet on top and get some shorter bungee cords and itll be good to go!

20180301_185044.jpg 20180303_133319.jpg
20180303_133338.jpg
20180303_133358.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Which fridge do you have? Do you happen to know the dimensions off hand? Does not having a slide-out for it make it rough to access?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

It’s the 50qt, I usually have it turned around the other way so we can open it from the front seats and it stays behind the passenger seat. The dimensions are about 20”Hx28”Wx15D.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

It’s the 50qt, I usually have it turned around the other way so we can open it from the front seats and it stays behind the passenger seat. The dimensions are about 20”Hx28”Wx15D.

Thanks. Running it backwards is an interesting thought.

I'm looking for one that sits below the lip on the back of the Jeep so I can still run my tonneau cover while it's in there but the ones I've seen so far don't have much interior room.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks. Running it backwards is an interesting thought.

I'm looking for one that sits below the lip on the back of the Jeep so I can still run my tonneau cover while it's in there but the ones I've seen so far don't have much interior room.

--

The 37 is probably good for two people. I was going to buy that but got this one for about $25 more than the 37. But still not sure anything would fit under a cover with a slide.

BaddestCross

The 37 is probably good for two people. I was going to buy that but got this one for about $25 more than the 37. But still not sure anything would fit under a cover with a slide.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't do a slide. If I can find one that fits under the cover I'd deal with it. I plan on doing a removable platform like yours for longer road trips at some point and would most likely do a slide on that.

--

WJCO

Meme King
I think the 37qt is 3 inches shorter than the 50. We looked into it as well to see if it would fit under the cover. Our final decision was just deciding not to spend the money for a 2nd fridge so I can't remember if it would have fit or not. Even if it did, you have to lift the lid up an inch to disconnect it and still can't get to anything inside. You would definitely want a slide.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think the 37qt is 3 inches shorter than the 50. We looked into it as well to see if it would fit under the cover. Our final decision was just deciding not to spend the money for a 2nd fridge so I can't remember if it would have fit or not. Even if it did, you have to lift the lid up an inch to disconnect it and still can't get to anything inside. You would definitely want a slide.

Yup. This.

BaddestCross

Yup. This.

Gah. Yeah, you have a point there. Probably wouldn't want to remove the cover every time I need to access the fridge. 😬

--

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think i could have solved a lot of issues if i had a trektop NX like you, then i wouldnt have had to worry about the soft top frame. And could have done what WJCO did and just plywood right to the hard top rails. But that fridge looks mighty fine in there. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don’t have the Trektop anymore. I had a setup similar to that but ended up taking it out because wasn’t secure. I took it out for a Tuffy deck, which I then took out for the one in the pictures above.

The Tuffy wouldn’t allow for the fridge in a two door but was a solid setup.

IMG_0884.jpg

And the original deck I built 4+ years ago. Mounted over the tub.

IMG_0423.jpg IMG_1083.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I don’t have the Trektop anymore. I had a setup similar to that but ended up taking it out because wasn’t secure. I took it out for a Tuffy deck, which I then took out for the one in the pictures above.

The Tuffy wouldn’t allow for the fridge in a two door but was a solid setup.

View attachment 295152

And the original deck I built 4+ years ago. Mounted over the tub.

View attachment 295154 View attachment 295155

I think you’d have a hard time using the refrigerator, on a JKU, with a Tuffy deck.

Top Bottom