Do you work with idiots?-I do

Lojo

Thread bump

I’ve recently been promoted to a lead position (running my own crew) at my new job. I now have a completely incompetent idiot working for me [emoji849] this guy has been there longer than me, but he’s dumb enough they didn’t promote him... so now he is pissed off that he didn’t get promoted [emoji23]

If he hasn’t been told directly to do something he will completely disappear and wonder aimlessly, then when I need him he is no where to be found. Super frustrating [emoji35] I have to keep on this guy otherwise I’m doing all the work, then he gets pissed that I’m telling him what to do

I could go on, but end rant

*oh, and he is 30 minutes late everyday after I told him to be there on time..

Definitely a common occurrence now. What ever happened to work ethics.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Thread bump

I’ve recently been promoted to a lead position (running my own crew) at my new job. I now have a completely incompetent idiot working for me [emoji849] this guy has been there longer than me, but he’s dumb enough they didn’t promote him... so now he is pissed off that he didn’t get promoted [emoji23]

If he hasn’t been told directly to do something he will completely disappear and wonder aimlessly, then when I need him he is no where to be found. Super frustrating [emoji35] I have to keep on this guy otherwise I’m doing all the work, then he gets pissed that I’m telling him what to do

Document everything start a paper trail and get him fired. Can you dock his pay when he is late? Sometimes when you hit them we’re it hurts (his wallet) they wake up. Just my 2 cents

Bear_JT

Hooked
Document everything start a paper trail and get him fired. Can you dock his pay when he is late? Sometimes when you hit them we’re it hurts (his wallet) they wake up. Just my 2 cents

I agree. Start a paper trail and document everything. If he doesn’t meet the standards you have for him and you’re obligated to help him succeed, a paper trial will save you and support your actions. Taking action will also show the others who do work that your backing them up from a lazy worker and that usually goes pretty far.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Thread bump

On the bright side... maybe that’s why you got the job... Dumptrucks like that are the reason the rest of us get the big bucks. Lol

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thread bump

Congratulations on the promotion!! Welcome to middle management! While being the boss can be a drag at first, you’ll learn how to mold your personality to your reports and get the most of out of them. It will take some time, but you’ll get it. Be firm and don’t take any shit. Hopefully your company has an attendance policy that you can lean on, keep it professional and stick to facts.

longarmwj

I absolutely do. Being director of sales isn’t cracked up to what it was made out to be. My weekend job offered me a full tome position. I need to ask them what it involves and what the pay is [emoji848]

Jsouder53

Hooked
Hopefully that dude doesn’t have a Jeep and isn’t active on internet Jeep forums.

He doesn’t lol

Definitely a common occurrence now. What ever happened to work ethics.

I’m asking myself the same question

My position doesn’t really deal with paper and such, my boss just listens to what I say and keeps mental notes. This guy is already on the radar for being fired by my boss after a costly ($2,000) accident that occurred. Docking the pay is something I don’t have power over either.

On the bright side... maybe that’s why you got the job... Dumptrucks like that are the reason the rest of us get the big bucks. Lol

I’m certainly fortunate I did get the job over him, I’ve been working my ass off while he is being himself

Congratulations on the promotion!! Welcome to middle management! While being the boss can be a drag at first, you’ll learn how to mold your personality to your reports and get the most of out of them. It will take some time, but you’ll get it. Be firm and don’t take any shit. Hopefully your company has an attendance policy that you can lean on, keep it professional and stick to facts.

Thank you! It’s definitely a side of me that is new (being the boss). My company has the time card so it shows that he is late.

jdofmemi

Thread bump

Congratulations on your promotion!

Sounds like you are moving the right direction, and passing by the slackers.

Hard work pays off, and the slackers eventually get replaced, though sometimes it takes a while, as someone has to replace them.

RCVRY

Find his skills and strengths. Compliment and capitalize on them. Don’t assume you can do your job without his skill.

There’s a certain measure of humility that comes with being a good leader. Teaching and being teachable is the highest among them.
Maintain extreme optimism for every person under your direction to the point that you make yourself responsible for their failure.
Remember that you can learn something from everyone.

Ddays

Hooked
Find his skills and strengths. Compliment and capitalize on them. Don’t assume you can do your job without his skill.

There’s a certain measure of humility that comes with being a good leader. Teaching and being teachable is the highest among them.
Maintain extreme optimism for every person under your direction to the point that you make yourself responsible for their failure.

That sounds all well and good, but there are a lot of people out there that think that they are owed everything. I've had two employees that I tried to reach how you described above and ended up coming to the conclusion that some folks are just worthless turds. :grayno:

longarmwj

Hopefully it works out for you man!

I’m still iffy on if I wanna take it. Since my lay off I feel like I’ve bounced around jobs. Don’t get my wrong, my current salary is pretty decent, and the weekend job is just because i get bored on weekends that I’m not able to wheel lol. I would only be willing to make the switch for more money, or better benefits. I’d be off on weekends again though as they would have me working Monday to Friday for them.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Congratulations on your promotion!

Sounds like you are moving the right direction, and passing by the slackers.

Hard work pays off, and the slackers eventually get replaced, though sometimes it takes a while, as someone has to replace them.

Thank you!

I get what you mean, I do take ownership of “the crews” failure (a couple incident reports already) which in turn makes me look bad to my boss. But like ddays said, this guy is “owed” everything... gets offended by the littlest things and is just a worthless millennial from California

That sounds all well and good, but there are a lot of people out there that think that they are owed everything. I've had two employees that I tried to reach how you described above and ended up coming to the conclusion that some folks are just worthless turds. :grayno:

Exactly, and everyone at the lumber yard knows how he is...

Last edited:

RCVRY

You’re always better off convincing upper management that you’ve exhausted every opportunity to improve the employee.
Capitalism on every opportunity to terminate the employee makes the supervisor petty and incompetent.
Document conversations of encouragement and coaching. If they truly are incorrigible they will bury themselves.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
[QU aOTE=Ddays;1133207]That sounds all well and good, but there are a lot of people out there that think that they are owed everything. I've had two employees that I tried to reach how you described above and ended up coming to the conclusion that some folks are just worthless turds. :grayno:[/QUOTE]

:thumb::beer:

Dale72

Hooked
I'm around people like this every day

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

RCVRY

Management is a choice not a promotion.
Help employees be better than they are or fail trying.
Some may be “unreachable”, but it’s the manager that failed. Always.

Ddays

Hooked
Capitalism on every opportunity to terminate the employee makes the supervisor petty and incompetent.

Not really sure what you mean by the on every opportunity part, but I assure you, wasting time on trying to rehabilitate a paste-eating moron who makes zero effort to better themselves makes a supervisor neither petty not incompetent. It makes them effective leaders.

Top Bottom