Dog harnesses

Here's an old pic, but the Safari straps work great for my four legged child.:thumb:
View attachment 11961
That's the go. Same as me. I use Jeepcargonet.com on both sides and between front seats for daily driving, because you can leave them there all the time. Top up, or top down. On longer trips with no top I use the Smittybilt CRES with the zip rear door.

I use a harness called buckleuppup actually developed by some Jeepers. It is a combo front and rear body harness that connects with a Y strap from underneath to a single swivel point. The dogs can comfortably stand up and turn around without tangling, and in the event of a hart stop or crash keeps the dog from getting thrown around. I highly recommend checking it out. You can get a tie down point, use the clipped seat belt as an anchor point, or in some cases when my seat is down I use the child seat anchors.

here is an older pick of me strapping both the dogs in you can see the swivel lock on the carseat anchorbuckleup pup.jpg

This is a challenge I'm working with. We like to take our collies with us when we can. We love them both but each presents his or her own challenges to deal with.

The boy is super smart but refuses to use his genius for the powers of good. He also can shred a lead or harness within seconds. Literally. He slids the offending object back into his molars then grinds for a few seconds on it and he is free. Because of this a harness would work for the girl but not the boy. Also he destroyed a "dog proof" screen in my truck (twice) and the dog proof screens on two windows in my buddy's back yard. I had to put chicken wire on the storm door to our garage to keep him out of it. He is also an escape artist and will open latches. Because of him we plan to have a hard top for whatever Jeep we buy in the next year.

What I've been thinking is that maybe I can put a wire mesh car barrier to fit just behind the front seats. Here is where the girl comes in. If she has 4 inches of space somehow she will squeeze around a barrier into the front seat.

Does anyone here have any experience with a make and model of wire mesh barrier that fits extremely well behind the front seats in their JK? I suspect I will need to go with something like

http://www.wag.com/dog/p/midwest-homes-for-pets-wire-mesh-car-barriers-satin-black-198112?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_W&utm_term=QXJ-047&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1323897583&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=QXJ-047&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

and fab some add on sections to take up the open spaces.

If anyone has some feedback or suggestions I would appreciate the help.

Sadie Jo buckled up and ready to roll. The seat belt slides through the back of the harness. When she is in the back seat I actually pull the seat belt all the way out and wrap it around the headrest to keep it from tightening up too much. If I don’t the belt automatically tightens to the point that she can’t even lay down.

IMG_0316_zps643dbe2c.jpg

If the dog steps up on the little fender wells.... Begins to do anything unreasonable, I just tap the break (in a safe way, checking surroundings first) After about the third time of falling into the back of the rear seat, they become conditioned, knowing that an un pleasurable experience is associated with that type of behavior. No harness needed!!
If your pooch is attempting an escape when your stopped call Cesar Milan cause your doggie has the dominant role in your relationship. Haha. Just messin'.

Guys and gals...can you lend some advice / suggestion, with some pics if possible of dog harnesses you have or have seen?

Top off or down, dog harnesses to seat belts, cage, etc... My basic idea is to use a sling( modified) from one of my rifles, and go from there. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

PetSmart it's around $25 and works great! The seat belt attaches through the loop.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361243010.225402.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361242701.470794.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381196876.148036.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381196987.428848.jpg

Got this one at pet smart.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381196822.640240.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1381196822.640240.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 60
I posted this to another dog harness thread, but here is what I do with my labs and my tj. Since I already had a strong harness for walking them, I just went to home depot and got a husky velcro clip, carabiner, and a foot of chain, that way you can adjust any of it. Attach the velcro clip around the center of the rollcage. I haven't taken the dogs in the jkur yet, but I will probably attach the velcro to the center of the C pillar
View attachment 51881

1381197237732.jpg

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I have to ask, does Tessa's hair get EVERYWHERE? I have a border collie too and his hair is EVERYWHERE!!! Lol:eek:

Great Question I have a long haired Chow/American Eskimo Mix and want to keep her in the cargo area (which I do with a pet barrier) but still harness her in safely whether or not the tops on. I know it's wishful thinking that I'll minimize the hair factor by keeping her in the cargo area but it's been three months and seems to be working. Feel a little bad that she's not right behind me in my 4 Dr but figure the reward is she gets to go to much more remote and cooler walks yes?

I have to ask, does Tessa's hair get EVERYWHERE? I have a border collie too and his hair is EVERYWHERE!!! Lol:eek:

We have a border collie as well and have the same problem.
We bought one of these, and they work great. Looks like something you would find at an "As Seen On TV" store. We bought it at the state fair, but it really does work. :)

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Dog-Shed-Control/I/Sticky-Buddy-Reusable-Pet-Hair-Roller.aspx

It's like a lint roller, but the roller is made of the same material as the old "sticky hands". Roller the seat a bit, rinse it off with hot water, let it dry for a couple minutes and roller some more. Still doesn't work so well for the hairs that weave themselves into the threads of the seat.

Top Bottom