DOM tube arrived

Rebel JK

That looks real nice! Good job.

Are you planning on adding any gussets or going to stay as is?

How are you liking that tubing notcher? Is that the one from northern tool? Been considering getting one for a while but never pulled the trigger.

Yes, I still need to add gussets for sure, and may box in the 3/16 at the front and rear ends. So far I had to cut and fit 18 pieces per side without gussets.
I got the notcher at harbor freight and is not the best, but for what I did it worked good but not great.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Actualy got it at summit metal in oceanside. They have DOM in stock. Esco metals its special order and more expensive.

Oh nice! Never knew there was a metal supply in O-side! Thats good info as its closer that escondido. If you ever need to do any bending, shearing, breaking etc on large sheets or tubing I know a good welding/machine shop in town that has good rates and usually a pretty quick turn around time. I have also used a couple different powder coaters in the area if you need one once you are done.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Oh nice! Never knew there was a metal supply in O-side! Thats good info as its closer that escondido. If you ever need to do any bending, shearing, breaking etc on large sheets or tubing I know a good welding/machine shop in town that has good rates and usually a pretty quick turn around time. I have also used a couple different powder coaters in the area if you need one once you are done.

Where in San Diego are you? I have had good luck with Industrial Metal Supply.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Where in San Diego are you? I have had good luck with Industrial Metal Supply.

I am in north county (Encinitas). IMS has a good supply but they tend to be on the $$ side. I have always gotten a good deal at Escondido Metal Supply. Usually get a 20% discount on new steel after I opened an accnt with them. Banister Iron Works is literally 2 blocks down the street from them. Justin is the owner and is a real good guy. The have a pretty big shop and if i remember correctly they can shear up to 10' or 12' wide plate, and I have had them bend 6' pieces before. Last time I was in there they had what looked like either a class 8 or trophy truck in the shop. Its always been cheaper for me to have them shear stuff for me because they charge by the hr and not by the cut, IMS or EMS usually charge $20? to shear, and Justin has done 12 cuts for less than $100. I think the shop rate it $75 an hr or something like that.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I am in north county (Encinitas). IMS has a good supply but they tend to be on the $$ side. I have always gotten a good deal at Escondido Metal Supply. Usually get a 20% discount on new steel after I opened an accnt with them. Banister Iron Works is literally 2 blocks down the street from them. Justin is the owner and is a real good guy. The have a pretty big shop and if i remember correctly they can shear up to 10' or 12' wide plate, and I have had them bend 6' pieces before. Last time I was in there they had what looked like either a class 8 or trophy truck in the shop. Its always been cheaper for me to have them shear stuff for me because they charge by the hr and not by the cut, IMS or EMS usually charge $20? to shear, and Justin has done 12 cuts for less than $100. I think the shop rate it $75 an hr or something like that.

Gotcha. I have only bought the drop stock from IMS.

Rebel JK

Thats good to hear on the bending and powder coating. I kind of built this on the fly without having it fully drawn out. I used a skil saw with a metal blade for cutting the 3/16. Now though i have all the measurements, i wonder what someone would charge to precut the whole setup.. Summit was really good and solld the Dom pipe by the foot.

Rebel JK

Starting to really take shape now. Still need to add gussets, install weld nuts, finish welding etc etc.. Just have them temped on right now for fitting. But now can get a better idea what final product will look like.

Attachments

• 20130513_162633 - Copy.jpg
    20130513_162633 - Copy.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 115
  • 20130513_162654 - Copy.jpg
    20130513_162654 - Copy.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 116

Rebel JK

Thanks Guys. I wish it was going faster but work is getting in the way. SDG- I am definitley interested in your powder coating and fab shop contacts. Will shoot you a pm.

Rebel JK

Gussets tacked in now. On the home stretch. Fun project, great time spent with the son who's learning to weld and is using this as a homework project for school.

Attachments

• 20130522_185026.jpg
    20130522_185026.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 107

Rebel JK

Yep it is, but Ive got plenty of grinding wheels for that! So far he's been great for the cutting, fitting and all that. He's only really done some "heavy tack welding". Trying to inspire the next generation of Jeep enthusiest!

Rebel JK

Not quite finished but threw em on bare for Overlanders "easy" run to pancake LOL. Sure glad I did! Heres my 16 yr old getting a few last touches. Thanks to theduff, I decided to go with Bedliner spray. Was pretty windy yesterday but got 1 coat on.

Attachments

• 20130527_064626 - Copy.jpg
    20130527_064626 - Copy.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 57
  • photo - Copy.JPG
    photo - Copy.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20130527_153517 - Copy.jpg
    20130527_153517 - Copy.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 57

Rebel JK

Pretty much wrapped up now. Took about 6 weeks working on them only part time here and there, and total investment for material was less than $150. Saved some money to now put into something else!

Attachments

• 20130602_085357 - Copy.jpg
    20130602_085357 - Copy.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20130602_085412 - Copy.jpg
    20130602_085412 - Copy.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20130602_085425.jpg
    20130602_085425.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom